OH MY GOD!!!....Disney Purchased Marvel (Vol. Mickey Mouse meet Magneto) *UPDATED*

what they should do is come out with a brand new X-Men Animated Series.....not like the new revolution or whatever nonsense they have out now....and not aremake of the classic comic book animated series....something BRAND NEW.... with new animation and stories but with the same cast of characters...would bedope...

How about a Pixar animated Marvel Series?? Interesting idea...I'm excited as to how they're gonna handle this...

Stan Lee took credit for everything. To this day people actually think he created everything from Marvel.

Jack Kirby was the guy that came up with the art and alot of ideas for all the main Marvel guys. Does America know his name? Nope. Does Stan Lee care? Nope.
Twelve Years After His Death, the Co-Creator of Most of Marvel Comics May Finally Be Getting a Little Credit

In the last five years or so, Marvel Comics has experienced resurgence in its popularity. Thanks to the widescreen versions of the X-Men, The Hulk, Daredevil and The Fantastic Four, the adventures of these 4-color comic creations are known throughout the world. And also thanks to these films, most of the world recognizes the name of Stan Lee as well. Publisher and Co-creator during the 1960's and early 70's when the majority of Marvel's most popular creations were invented, Lee's name had the distinction of being on virtually every comic produced by Marvel. In fact it was impossible to open a comic book and not see Lee's name splashed across the page saying "Stan Lee presents". Love him or hate him, the man knew how to market both himself and Marvel Comics.

This practice continued long after Lee stopped writing. But by then, Lee's name had been repeated, pushed and crammed down the throats of the comic-buying public for so long that Stan Lee became the lone image associated with Marvel. It's akin to the policy of Walt Disney Productions during its golden age. Most of Disney's classic cartoons simply said "Walt Disney Presents". Forget the fact that there were dozens of artists toiling away creating the actual art! Walt Disney was getting all the credit.

But in terms of Marvel Comics and just who created what, some light is finally being shined on the artist/writer who created or co-created (along with Stan Lee) virtually the entire Marvel Comics line-up that has continued to generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the company. His name is Jack Kirby and he may not have been comfortable with the nickname placed upon his brow, but he really was (and is still considered) the "King of Comics".

I'm a hardcore Marvel fan and even I can say that Marvel's comic books are lacking that certain spark that they had with me when world war hulk andsecret invasion came out. Their x-men line of comics still pique my intrests but as for this recent turn of events of Disney's aquisition of idk whatreally to say, I really didn't see this coming but i hope this move strengthens the entire Marvel company.

Who's really gonna be affected on the comic front is BOOM! They might end up losing all their Disney/Pixar licenses

New marvel shows on Disney channel.
hopefully like the early 90s stuff.
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
smh.gif
@ you for listening to that fool... EVER.
Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

YO!
Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Sidenote I was playing this all day yesterday for some odd as reason
laugh.gif

2wmf0ns.gif
DF!!!
SMH at this self conceited bastard Ant posting a gif of himself to make a point
laugh.gif

6pt64n.gif
DF!!!

- foreal.

- and
laugh.gif
@ the gifs.....

YO!
smh.gif
@ you for listening to that fool... EVER.

6pt64n.gif
DF!!!

Ant... Its Just Toooooooooooooooooooooo Ham. Once The Beat Drops and he says that 1st "Wha's In My Pocket Daaaaaaaaaaaaawg" ... Its Over From There Folks, and I'm not a Plies fam per se`... But That Track Right There...
smh.gif

*goes to youtube to listen to track*.......

sick.gif
and im still like
smh.gif

Originally Posted by jerseymizzle

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200908/1370/
[h1]Disney to acquire Marvel; problems for Islands of Adventure?[/h1]

By Scott Marlow
Published: August 31, 2009 at 8:53 AM
The Walt Disney Co. announced this morning that it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock. The deal gives Disney ownership of Marvel's characters, including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor.
This obviously could present a major issue for Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure, as the entire "Marvel Super Hero Island" is based off of Marvel characters, as well as other character use around the entire Universal resort. Personally, I don't see Disney allowing Universal to continue using the characters in their "direct competition" theme parks, unless perhaps Universal would be willing to pay a good sum in royalties/usage rights.

Update from Robert: Lots of good information (as well as rumors/wishful thinking) in the comments. Inside sources say that Universal's deal with Marvel gave it exclusive use of the Marvel characters in theme parks east of the Mississippi and its license for existing characters is in perpetuity. Does that mean Disney will have to pay Universal to use the Marvel characters in Walt Disney World?

Also, we have a discussion thread going on what Disney should do with Marvel.

It was probably written in the contract that say a buy out were to occur by a competitor, they would still have the rights to use the characters for the ride. So, no, although we talked about it today at work, they aren't going to paint Mickey Mouse ears on the Hulk ride anytime soon.

I can't find the article right now, but a lot of the big named movie characters - spiderman, x-men, hulk - are still tied up in contracts with otherstudios who own the rights to make future movies. So it's not like you're going to see anything soon movie-wise with some of the major characters.

And remember Disney is an entertainment company, it's not just kids movies and theme parks. They also own Miramax and Touchstone which both make moviesthat stray far from the "rated G" kids genre.

Disney will treat this as just another separate business entity. What will be different is that they can now use their HUGE marketing and manufacturinginfrastucture to sell the Marvel product.

My guess is that they were mulling over this one for a while and decided to pull the trigger now while the economy is still on the up-climb (and stock pricesstill low overall) while there are signs of recovery on the horizon. Good move.

friend was telling me about this earlier.

didn't know the exact specifics tho. interesting to say the least.

This is whack.. now Marvel going to get toned toned for the younger audiences... thats whack.. the movies are gonna take a big steep fall...

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

Second. Marvel didn't even attempt a merger or anything. Disney straight up and bought Marvel. Some of it in cash too. Like Disney was like "I'm gonna go the the bank, be right back. We gotta stop at Wal-Mart and get some duffel bags by the way" STRAIGHT UP GANGSTA $&# RIGHT THERE.

Third. Marvel has supposedly been caking with all the movies and $4 comics and toys (go to Target and look at the Hasbro Marvel toys section, they're almost always sold out). So why sell? Guess they weren't doing as good as they said they were if they had to sell.

Marvel isn't exactly a little teeny company that would go and sell all 5,000 + characters that are held so holy and near and dear to them just for a few extra bucks. They had to have been struggling for this to happen. Thats like George Lucas selling all his Star Wars characters and rights to Warner Bros. or something....His stuff has too much of a cult following for someone to just sell like that.
All of these points I agree with. Disney dropping "straight cash homie" is so
sick.gif

But that point about Marvel supposedly caking yet still having to sell to Disney is perplexing. That is absolutely nuts. All of those characters... Some of themost iconic figures/names on the planet [Spider-Man, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America]... Names that will pretty much always be able to garner some sort ofbuzz... And Marvel just "gave" them all up.
eek.gif

Print media has been hurting for years now. But Marvel was taking the correct steps by jumping into digital(download) media. Not to mention other media outletslike the movies and the web. So I don't understand how Marvel was pushed to the point of bailing on a gold-mine of characters. This is really baffling tome.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Why is this such a big deal?
I don't get it.
One of the biggest media companies in the world just outright bought the No. 2 comics company. Even if you don't care about comics or entertainment in general this is a huge business deal and continues the further consolidation of media.
Best way to answer the question of why this is a big deal.

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

CEO of Marvel is a douche-bag. He really needs to be let go or demoted.
You obviously have a hard-on for Joe Q. So what I say will probably fall on deaf ears. But it's safe to say that w/o Joe's vision and planas the head man, Marvel would have probably been out of business years ago.

If Disney still has their deal with Apple we might start seeing legal comics downloads through iTunes.

i just don't want to see any of the disney teeny bopper actors and actresses in any of the upcoming marvel films.

Originally Posted by dunksnjordans1992

well, thats the end of marvel
frown.gif

they gonna clean up and censor all of marvel.... RIP da marvel comics we all knew and loved.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

frown.gif

they gonna clean up and censor all of marvel.... RIP da marvel comics we all knew and loved.
why people always think disney will kiddie down everything? they own other entities too you know.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

frown.gif

Yes they're gonna bring their brand of banal storytelling to the company that brought us such grim and gritty books as Millie the Model

YO!

Sidenote I was playing this all day yesterday for some odd as reason
laugh.gif

2wmf0ns.gif
DF!!!

On the real Ant... I woke up at like 9am with it in my head, and we didn't go to church sooooooooooooo... I got outta the bed and said to my lady "Lift up yo shirt _.... I BET'CHO RIBS SHOOOOOOOOO!!!" and walked up front to the cpu and it all went down hill from there.

Had my daughter in the air screamin at her

"Wha's In My Pocket Daaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwggggg?!?!?!?! BIG FACED HUNNIDS"

She was lookin at me with (o_O) face literally
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
smh.gif

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom