Oh My! Speed Turf AKA Dan Marino's Coming Summer 2012!!

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Originally Posted by trethousandgt

laugh.gif
      I know someone made a thread about this shoe last year glad to see they are dropping the OG colors 

Knicks Fresh aka Dean-O the dude.  He's gonna wake up to great news.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 yall already know.. im hyped...!!!!

eek.gif
pimp.gif
can't wait for these! Since it seems that Nike is paying attention to what we want, someone get that Bring Back the Nike Air Mission(Jr. Seau) thread going........

Other than the color, these didn't have any 'official' connection to marino or the fins, right? Like no one wore them in game etc...

I was a big marino fan growing up and he tended to wear the basic Nike high top cleats or on occasion turf shoe, but I don't specifically remember him or anyone on Miami wearing them. I would have been on top of these if they did have any real connection back then. But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Other than the color, these didn't have any 'official' connection to marino or the fins, right? Like no one wore them in game etc...

I was a big marino fan growing up and he tended to wear the basic Nike high top cleats or on occasion turf shoe, but I don't specifically remember him or anyone on Miami wearing them. I would have been on top of these if they did have any real connection back then. But I could be wrong.

I don't think he actually wore them in games, but I could have sworn he was in ads back when they came out. Maybe it was Eastbay
nerd.gif

Of course the kids on the other site question whther these are basketball shoes or not...

Of course the kids on the other site question whther these are basketball shoes or not...

didnt know wether to laugh or shake my head when i read that over there.  soooo, i did both at the same time!  these should be a released color....

the dolphin color ones shall crush this summer....the other ones idk about...is that silver or 3m ?

That must have been me then...
tongue.gif
smokin.gif
yeah I didn't know and yeah I don't see why I couldn't ask that
Shoes looked familiar but back when they released I wasn't into shoes like these at all... Now I like them though

And yes I'm older than 30

Originally Posted by Modus47

That must have been me then...
tongue.gif
smokin.gif
yeah I didn't know and yeah I don't see why I couldn't ask that
Shoes looked familiar but back when they released I wasn't into shoes like these at all... Now I like them though

And yes I'm older than 30

I do remember John Wallace wearing these when he played for Syracuse
pimp.gif

well, next year is looking nice. Can't wait
laugh.gif
at some of the gifs in here

Outsole pattern looks brutal for court sports/lateral usage but I could see how some people are wondering. Nike likes to classify some stuff as "cross trainers', when it should have it's own category.. They should've done like they did on the Og zoom turf barry sanders and the favre zoom turf jets, and had a different version with a straight flat outsole. Many athletes actually never used the nubbed bottom on turf, so it was almost one big gimmick.

examples from other turf nikes
Spoiler [+]
What we need and what many of the players actually wore :
61955_11_lg.jpg

What they end up giving us, which has almost no functionality casually
turf-shoes-come-out-of-retirement-2.jpg

Kurt Warner did have a nubbed bottom PE
51943_01_lg.jpg

Same with the barry sanders zoom turf

PE samples

Many went with the standard outsole, and a few with the nubbed variety. At that time, and NEVER seen on a retro, is that choice....
nike-zoom-turf____________.jpg

And another turf shoe with a standard bottom

Nike Super Zoom
B. Sanders PE
22656_01_lg.jpg

vs. the nubbed version
29ve25f.jpg

1997%20Nike%20Air%20Super%20Zoom.jpg

-----------

I realize they want to stay true to OG form here, but I don't see a high demand for turf shoes. So these will have 100% casual appeal, and I'm okay with that. But they could have fine tuned the outsole just a bit and wearability could have been for EVERYTHING. If it's for casual use anyways, just kill two birds with one stone, and switch it up a tad.

They never think outside the box.

Call it another stupid rant, but the waffle style outsole I see on Air Speed Turf marinos could have been turned into something much greater... But we should sit back and just thank them for giving us an opportunity to buy these again, right?

^
While I agree with several points you made, I believe this shoe is fine just the way it is.

While you are correct that there is no demand and virtually no category for turf shoes, that does not mean that they wont be used for such purposes.
When these originally came out I used these for everything from playing basketball to football to baseball, in both both indoor and outdoor settings (it kills me when I hear people try to categorize shoes for specific purposes).
As a kid you don't care if you have Jordans or running shoes...you just want to play.
Now that we are all adults we either nit pick at the fact that they did not stay true to OG form or that they did not update or incorporate new technology.
I personally like the new huaraches with the free sole but others hate them because they are not true to the OGs,same goes with the new Air Max Griffey Fury.

With just about everything from the 90's has been retroed, some being hit's and others complete misses.
I believe Nike has seen first hand that sometimes experimenting with colorways, materials, and even shapes be it aesthetically or tech wise has not given good results.

As far as thinking outside the box...I believe Nike has short term vision (they will just keep exploiting whatever new tech they have till we all regurgitate on it, i.e. flywire, hyperfuse, and 360 air bags)

While I do agree that some gimmicks are worst than others (like why did the nike zoom flight five have nubbed bottoms???) If they were done like that originally than bring them back the same way.
While I never subscribed to the idea that we should be thankful to Nike for  anything other than free shoes, I'm fortunate that I will have the chance to own these shoes again.

Would you have preferred for them to throw in some free soles or a full 360 air bag?

SLP, I guess it's all a bit of a technicality on my part. I'll just leave it in a spoiler. I don't want to spoil the mood here lol
Spoiler [+]
A stickler, if you will. I love indoor training or gym training. These currently look to have a perfect outdoor/running outsole pattern. They take on the look of the original waffle runner. Even many of the bo jackson trainers had a bit of a bulging set of outsole groove. So I'd probably retract what I said earlier about no APPEAL at all. What they were "meant for" aka turf training, still likely holds true. My preference for indoors is getting the best of my emotions after seeing many of the other turf shoes turn into "aj 11" do it all shoes.

Now given, people at the gym tend to wear just about anything. So I would probably be "okay" in these. Knowing Nike they wouldnt just change one small thing, like a herringbone outsole. So I am truly glad they went to spec, and not some crazy hybrid.. I can live with this.

Great point about doing anything in ANYTHING years ago. I tend to currently see the same thing at the gym. Treadmills can be seen with bball shoes, or trail running shoes. Indoor courts can be seen with running shoes.. Shoes generally function as shoes. In the NCAA bball thread, an Arizona player can be seen with the griffey max furys (an outsole almost identical in nature to the waffle/speed turf, except diagonal). I will blame these designers for throwing out pivot points, herringbone, and general traction techniques and patterns into my mind and thought process. All that shouldn't stop me from wearing these EVERYWHERE.

lol. This got me looking into the DT II coming out soon.Those too, had quite a clunky outsole design, comparative to a trail runner or hiking shoe. The early "turf" shoes really started utilizing different genres in their design process. It wasn't until a year after these speed turf marinos that we saw the bubbly nubbed "turf" shoe. And even then, many players didn't like or use that technology.

Back
Top Bottom