On Its Way Out? Is The Manual Transmission Finally Saying Goodbye?

I don't think most manual enthusiasts would look down on a damn Bentley just because it doesn't come in stick.

Most people who drive manual would agree, if given the option, they'd choose manual over automatic. At least for me, I don't care that advanced automatic transmissions can shift faster than a human, that's not the point.. it's the relationship between the driver and car, and having that power and control is the preference.

If people don't want to drive or learn manual, that's their preference and I won't judge... but it doesn't make sense to me if someone buys a sports car, then gets it in automatic, that feels like you're cheating yourself from a more enjoyable experience.   Also, if I'm choosing between lower end cars, a Civic or something along those lines, I'd for sure pick a manual to make it more entertaining.  A manual makes even boring and dull cars more interesting and fun.   And when people justify it with tiptronic or the fake manual with their automatic, I laugh when they compare it to a real manual car, that's not the same.

In my experience, majority of people who drive automatic don't know how to drive manual. They're not making a conscious decision to choose automatic over manual, they just never wanted to learn. So when they say "automatic > stick", they don't even know how to drive stick  so how can they really know
laugh.gif

I don't think most manual enthusiasts would look down on a damn Bentley just because it doesn't come in stick.

Most people who drive manual would agree, if given the option, they'd choose manual over automatic. At least for me, I don't care that advanced automatic transmissions can shift faster than a human, that's not the point.. it's the relationship between the driver and car, and having that power and control is the preference.

If people don't want to drive or learn manual, that's their preference and I won't judge... but it doesn't make sense to me if someone buys a sports car, then gets it in automatic, that feels like you're cheating yourself from a more enjoyable experience.   Also, if I'm choosing between lower end cars, a Civic or something along those lines, I'd for sure pick a manual to make it more entertaining.  A manual makes even boring and dull cars more interesting and fun.   And when people justify it with tiptronic or the fake manual with their automatic, I laugh when they compare it to a real manual car, that's not the same.

In my experience, majority of people who drive automatic don't know how to drive manual. They're not making a conscious decision to choose automatic over manual, they just never wanted to learn. So when they say "automatic > stick", they don't even know how to drive stick  so how can they really know
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by MOchi

[h1][/h1]

I don't know how to drive stick anyway.  I'd rather use the free hand to feel-up the unsuspecting female passenger
pimp.gif
lame.

And standard is what real men/enthusiast drive.

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

Shut up.

I live in the city so MT isn't realistic for me.  My car has a "Manumatic" transmission and that's good enough.  Sometimes I wanna be Speed Racer and sometimes I just wanna relax and cruise.  Best of both worlds.

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

That tiptronic trash is nothing like a manual and its def. not the best of both worlds.

You just sound like a lame with your free hand comment.
laugh.gif

Anywhos, its not about what shifts quicker, manual is just alot more fun to drive than automatic.
laugh.gif
These comments don't phase me.  93% of the dudes that drive manual on NT push a rust bucket anyway.  Drivin manual doesn't appeal to everyone (believe it or not).  Even in my lil tiptronic mode I forget to shift, I can just imagine how man clutches I would burn thru,
laugh.gif
Drivin while feelin on tig-ol-bitties or gettin dome >>>>>>>>> manual.

@10 Piece:  Dont  you drive this?

075049.2-lg.jpg

I dont think your soccer-mom-death-trap-on-wheels comes in a manual option 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Originally Posted by MOchi

[h1][/h1]

I don't know how to drive stick anyway.  I'd rather use the free hand to feel-up the unsuspecting female passenger
pimp.gif
lame.

And standard is what real men/enthusiast drive.

/thread

6MT STAND UP!

Shut up.

I live in the city so MT isn't realistic for me.  My car has a "Manumatic" transmission and that's good enough.  Sometimes I wanna be Speed Racer and sometimes I just wanna relax and cruise.  Best of both worlds.

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

That tiptronic trash is nothing like a manual and its def. not the best of both worlds.

You just sound like a lame with your free hand comment.
laugh.gif

Anywhos, its not about what shifts quicker, manual is just alot more fun to drive than automatic.
laugh.gif
These comments don't phase me.  93% of the dudes that drive manual on NT push a rust bucket anyway.  Drivin manual doesn't appeal to everyone (believe it or not).  Even in my lil tiptronic mode I forget to shift, I can just imagine how man clutches I would burn thru,
laugh.gif
Drivin while feelin on tig-ol-bitties or gettin dome >>>>>>>>> manual.

@10 Piece:  Dont  you drive this?

075049.2-lg.jpg

I dont think your soccer-mom-death-trap-on-wheels comes in a manual option 
laugh.gif

6mt ftw always and forever
Owned two e46 ms one 6mt and one smg
Smg just doesn't compare
E92 in a 6mt and e36 in 5mt
Manual is for true driving enthusiast

6mt ftw always and forever
Owned two e46 ms one 6mt and one smg
Smg just doesn't compare
E92 in a 6mt and e36 in 5mt
Manual is for true driving enthusiast

I love driving manual.

I live in NYC and commute back and forth from LI daily. I never once thought about going automatic.

I love driving manual.

I live in NYC and commute back and forth from LI daily. I never once thought about going automatic.

Originally Posted by brrraptors

the truth is, none of us will ever own a supercar. i can understand why they're going away from manual trans. teens with rich dads want cars that make them feel like a superdriver and technology is aimed to do just that. even in everyday cars people want a free hand to grab a drink, answer their cell, whatever else it maybe so its no surprise that manuals are becoming a rare purchase.

learnt how to drive a standard when i was 12 and ive never looked back. parents owned automatics through my teen years but i went right back to manual after uni and i've never looked back since.

Speak for yourself.

Originally Posted by brrraptors

the truth is, none of us will ever own a supercar. i can understand why they're going away from manual trans. teens with rich dads want cars that make them feel like a superdriver and technology is aimed to do just that. even in everyday cars people want a free hand to grab a drink, answer their cell, whatever else it maybe so its no surprise that manuals are becoming a rare purchase.

learnt how to drive a standard when i was 12 and ive never looked back. parents owned automatics through my teen years but i went right back to manual after uni and i've never looked back since.

Speak for yourself.

I wouldn't see myself driving a manual any time in the future, but I don't think it makes myself any less of a man for not doing it.

I wouldn't see myself driving a manual any time in the future, but I don't think it makes myself any less of a man for not doing it.

Back
Top Bottom