Open Season on black men by the police continues

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...28-brooklyn-housing-project-article-1.2018724

NYPD officer fatally shoots unarmed 28-year-old man in Brooklyn's Pink Houses project
The uniformed officer fired a single, fatal shot into Akai Gurley's chest moments after he and his girlfriend entered a stairwell in the Pink Houses on Linden Blvd. in East New York on Thursday night, police said. Gurley was not armed, a police source said. 'They just started shooting,' Gurley's girlfriend said.
BY RYAN SIT , ROCCO PARASCANDOLA NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Friday, November 21, 2014, 5:45 AM A A A
SHARE THIS URL

The incident took place the Pink Houses in East New York, Brooklyn, on Thursday night.
ADAMS IV, JAMES MONROE (FREELANC
The incident took place the Pink Houses in East New York, Brooklyn, on Thursday night.
An NYPD officer fatally shot an unarmed 28-year-old man moments after he and his girlfriend entered a stairwell of a Brooklyn housing project late Thursday night, police said.

Akai Gurley, a Brooklyn resident, had spent Thursday night with his girlfriend at her apartment in a building in the Pink Houses on Linden Blvd. in East New York. She had braided his hair, and was walking him out when the shooting happened, she told the Daily News in an interview Friday morning. They had just entered the stairwell when the fatal shot was fired, hitting Gurley in the chest, she said.

“He didn’t do nothing wrong," said Melissa Butler, Gurley's girlfriend. "He was just standing there and they shot him. He was an innocent man.”

The NYPD said in a press release that two uniformed officers were on a vertical patrol in the building about 11:15 p.m. Thursday. They entered the stairwell from the eighth floor and were descending it. Gurley and Butler entered the stairwell from the seventh floor, she said. Police said that one of the officers fired a single shot, but further information was not provided. It was not clear why the officer fired, and a police source said Gurley was not armed.

The NYPD press release described the stairwell as "dimly lit."

Butler, 27, said she was standing next to Gurley when he was shot. She, too, said lighting in the stairwell was an issue.

"They didn't give no explanation," she said of the cops. "They didn't identify themselves. They just started shooting."

Butler said that she and Gurley managed to make it down two flights of stairs after he was shot, but he collapsed on the fifth-floor landing and lost consciousness.

Gurley was taken by ambulance to Brookdale University Hospital, where he died, police said.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton was expected to brief the media about the shooting at an 11:30 p.m. press conference at police headquarters in Manhattan.

Both officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital, where they were treated for tinnitus.

[email protected]

Okay man WTF is going on here what has to be done in order to protect ourselves, clear as day the laws don't protect us, the police hate us, & we can literally die for just walking outside i'm ****** sick of this.

It was never not open season on us

I see where your coming from but with the worlds attention on ferguson & the constant killings shown on mainstream media i'm starting to feel like the law is just straight poking fun at the public these days. These things are happening on a week to week basis and NOTHING is done absolutely zero.

It's not even the police, fam. It's just crazy racist judgmental mother ******* with guns and power. If citizens started a police force and supplied each other with guns, best believe there'd be some members that are wilding out. Whenever someone speaks down on the cops I always gotta object because I've had experiences with NYPD officers of both races and they showed me nothing but love. Theres been times where I could've got a DUI and white cops really held me down and let me go home. Times when if a different type of officer saw me do what I was doing, I could've been locked. And on the other hand, it's some officers that's just ****** up in the head and wilding out on some power trip type ****.

It's dumb *** officers like this that's giving cops all over bad names. And the good cops is out here suffering, because when a street cat decides he's gonna clap back and retaliate on an officer, 7/10 it's gonna be an innocent officer who did nothing but good throughout his time.

So yea, these police forces across the US need to seriously re evaluate who they let into the academy. They need to double up on the testing...do drug and alcohol testing, mental testing, etc. forreal if you have a mental disorder/schizophrenia in your family, you shouldn't be in the force. They need to give em a temperament test, as well as a real life situational test.

This **** is getting outta hand smh. RIP to the guy. Lock that cop up, for life.

Dimly lit, project building......I'm not saying I support this, but I'd be trigger happy as well.

You think cops are shooting people because they are drunk? That's some good #$# aim for a drunk person. You think cops are patrolling the streets and are I like, I'm high and drunk, let's go in this project building and shoot someone.

What we need is to advocate for less lethal ways or police handing these issues, but even that can be problematic. Cause goons don't have non-lethal ways of committing crimes.
It is time for all police to be drug and alcohol tested, after they fire their weapons.

You are tested if you get into a car accident if you are the driver and someone is injured or killed

Police should be held accountable, because you do not know if the officer was coherent at the time of the shooting, and yes, there are many drug and alcohol dependent officers among the ranks, and the union fights against such testing.

If they fire while under the influence, they should not only be fired, but lose their pensions as well.

Last edited:

They already get drug tested very often, I have many cops who are friends---they get their fb and social media account monitored constantly. They get drug tested very often. This wouldn't do anything. But I guess if it makes you sleep better at night, if and when the cops who do this come out clean then we can focus on real strategies to curb these shootings.

Like I said if I were high and drunk as a cop, the last thing I'm doing is going into the projects to kill people. But let's waste resources on that, then take it away when cops keep shooting black males completely sober.
You've just deflected.

They are not tested after firing their weapons, as this should be mandatory.

Last edited:
That's why I'm not a cop, I can't guarantee 100 percent there won't be collateral damage. No matter how brave you are at the end of the day these are human beings, mistakes do happen. Hell doctors probably kill more people than cops, the human factor gets taken out of this equation way too often. Even the best trained marine has been known to lead to deaths by friendly fire because they are nervous.

Stop with this ******** apologist theory for cops... the human factor gets taken out of it.... the human factor damn sure isn't considered when their throwing people in jail for entire life sentences based off conspiracy charges, or when a civilian (Black) kills someone. Mistakingly taking lives isn't ****** acceptable, that isn't something that can be shrugged off to the game, I know people who own guns they have never decided to pull it out and kill someone in cold blood because they walked in a staircase. These cops go through ****** years of training and that's being washed away as a mistake.

It is time for all police to be drug and alcohol tested, after they fire their weapons.

You are tested if you get into a car accident if you are the driver and someone is injured or killed

Police should be held accountable, because you do not know if the officer was coherent at the time of the shooting, and yes, there are many drug and alcohol dependent officers among the ranks, and the union fights against such testing.

If they fire while under the influence, they should not only be fired, but lose their pensions as well.

Why do they have to be intoxicated?? Why can't they be completely sober and aware of their actions??? (Which is probably the case).

Lol yo this dude poodle blood stay in the cop threads acting like a masked hero for them. Dude is a tool. Let's make them wear cameras!!!... That will never happen either..

ACAB.

Bro .. Ain't no cop going to wear a camera. And how legit would the footage be that they upload to us to see? Them wearing cameras is almost a non existent solution.

You think someone who is corrupt and pulls triggers and makes deals, is going to be impeded by a camera ?

They already in the spotlight and they don't give a dam

Last edited:
Why do they have to be intoxicated?? Why can't they be completely sober and aware of their actions??? (Which is probably the case).
I would like you to reread my statement again, thoroughly.

At no point did I state that they were intoxicated.

The issue at hand is to deter gun violence. If the officer knew that he/she had taken one toke earlier in the day, they'd think twice about discharging a weapon later on, if they have to do a blood and urine sample afterward.

They do drug testing, but it is not mandatory after a shooting.

The ramifications of a drunk or high police officer shooting someone, is far greater than simply accusing an officer of being a racist.

You can prove that the officer may have been under the influence, which may have an even greater windfall against the police department.

Last edited:
Man y'all already know this dude's script already. Stop engaging in debates with this dude when you already know what he's on.

I would like you to reread my statement again, thoroughly.

At no point did I state that they were intoxicated.

The issue at hand is to deter gun violence. If the officer knew that he/she had taken one toke earlier in the day, they'd think twice about discharging a weapon later on, if they have to do a blood and urine sample afterward.

They do drug testing, but it is not mandatory after a shooting.

No you didn't say that. But you implied that by recommending they do mandatory testing.

Why else would there be drug/alcohol testing??? To see if they were on drugs/alcohol.....

Exactly.....this is the worst theory I've heard so far. If the cops are doing it on purpose, they aren't doing it because they are drunk or high. And if they are doing this on purpose they are awfully terrible at it. The media already demonizes cops, God at least plant a knife on them.
mean.gif

He didn't suggest that in order to give you an out.

Let's see if you are truly a thinker, and then not simply an antagonist.

Can you drive a car while under the influence?

How many people think that they can, safely?

What stops them from doing so?

Does the law stop them from driving while under the influence?

What are the repercussions of harming someone while driving under the influence?

Legally, what steps can the victim take, to ensure that this driver pays for their mistake?

Now place that against the officer, who mistakenly shoots someone.

Hopefully, you get the point. 

Back
Top Bottom