Opening a bank account with...

OneNightDan

formerly mryoungmoney
Chase! 
Good Idea or bad?

First bank account, only 19 years old. 

Attend Barber College, work at a retail store, little expenses/bills, school payments, car payments, gas, insurance, phone bill, and well food. 

They have a promotion going on where you deposit $25, they deposit $125 for opening an account with them.

Get paid every two weeks, direct deposit from my job. 

Have to pay $12 a month if I don't meet their requirements as far as money being deposited in my account being over $500 a month, etc... 

MrYoungMoney wrote:

Have to pay $12 a month if I don't meet their requirements as far as money being deposited in my account being over $500 a month, etc... 

This is the only potential problem. If you're responsible you'll be fine though. If not, that's $12 a month down the tubes

laugh.gif

I hear you though... 

I'm not sure on the fee's though, as far as withdrawing money, overdrafts, etc... 

I just want a debit card basically. 

I don't think I should carry cash as much anymore. 

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

Chase! 
Good Idea or bad?

Attend Barber College, work at a retail store, little expenses/bills, school payments, car payments, gas, insurance, phone bill, and well food. 

They have a promotion going on where you deposit $25, they deposit $125 for opening an account with them.

hahaha i just got a promoion from chase in the mail open an account with $100 they will deposit $200 into my account. I plan on getting the free $200 and then closing the account I did the same thing with Wells a few years ago when they had a similar promotion

Originally Posted by nawghtyhare

Chase! 
Good Idea or bad?

hahaha i just got a promoion from chase in the mail open an account with $100 they will deposit $200 into my account. I plan on getting the free $200 and then closing the account I did the same thing with Wells a few years ago when they had a similar promotion

Yeah, but I think for that one it had to be like a premium account and that was expired like two weeks ago?
Also, you can't close the account for 6 months. 

Other wise they charge you for it?

At least, that's what I read. 

You're the expert though, you've done it before!

Goodluck fam'! 
wink.gif

I'm 19 and opened a bank account with US Bank..

US Bank is absolutely my favorite bank (I've been with BoA before)
I got a savings, checking, and debit.

I don't have to pay a monthly fee either.
pimp.gif

^Guess I should have included that location is a key thing for me. 
I don't see many US Banks in Dallas. 

While I might not be saving every penny, I won't be spending every penny either. 

Chase isn't down the street from my house. 

Yet, it is down the street from my Barber College and Job.

Get a student account if they still offer it. It's free; there's no direct deposit requirements or anything.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Get a student account if they still offer it. It's free; there's no direct deposit requirements or anything.

I would but... They require it be a 5+ College, no trade school. 

Originally Posted by nawghtyhare

Chase! 
Good Idea or bad?

Yeah, but I think for that one it had to be like a premium account and that was expired like two weeks ago?
Also, you can't close the account for 6 months. 

Other wise they charge you for it?

At least, that's what I read. 

You're the expert though, you've done it before!

Goodluck fam'! 
wink.gif
yeah thats the one but the letter i got says it doesnt expire till the 23rd of june.
and yeah if u close it within 6 months they do charge you but hey thats why you wait 7 months
wink.gif

the service fee is like $10 a month though so i guess its only gonna be a $130 come up

Citi bank ftw. My job offers free checking account and either way I coulda gotten a student account. Don't pay a single dime and since my brother referred me we both get 50$ something is something .

Damn do they check now? When I transferred my account type into the student acct. the guy just switched it up and called it good.

Damn do they check now? When I transferred my account type into the student acct. the guy just switched it up and called it good.
def check...they didnt check for me last year

Ive got Chase and I like it. Really simple and easy. The guy who I made my account with was cool and got me a college student account while I was still in high school. No minimum balance needed and I chose to opt out of overdrafting. If they won't give you the college account at the one you went to try going to another one and maybe theyll hook you up. I'd recommend it.Edit: I don't pay a service fee or any kind of fees. Just deposit my checks and have all my money on my debit the next day
pimp.gif

Fam, check out M&T bank. 2 years ago when I was looking into them they had an option for "college students" where no fees are applied. IDK if they changed anything but they haven't charged me a dime for fees. Also when I got an account with them they gave me 100$, but im sure it depends on the location.

Get the college account. Which is free as long as you're in school. Sign up for the chase credit card. Get $300 cashback. Close your account, then move to wells Fargo where they have free checking accounts for college students. And a free account as long as you get at least 100 in direct deposits a month.

You'll thank me later bro.

Thanks for all the advice! 
I'ma look into the College Account, and see if they let me. 

We have a lot in common it seems o_o but, I just got a college account with chase a month ago and I currently don't attend school. Maybe because my chase employee friend was with me when I opened the account, but they didn't ask for any more verification other than asking me what school I went to and what year I was graduating. So if you do decide to open a bank account pick a school and then look up your graduation year since you gotta make that up lol.

I wish I would have waited for that 100$ credit they're offering you though
nerd.gif

The chase app is so damn clutch, I might add. I have 2 ATMs down the street from my house, 1 the actual branch the other @ walgreens. Then another 2 right next to my work place.
nerd.gif
So chase is very handy since I prefer to use cash over plastic. 

I wouldn't touch Chase with a 10 foot pole! I've dealt with other departments they run and I wanted to pull my hair out on a daily basis.

Think about it... Why would a bank freely hand out money to open an account with them? Statistically, college students are the most profitable because they're going to overdraft more often or not meet the minimum requirements over the long run to avoid the fees. Stay away from banks that have catches in their policy that you need to keep updated with on a yearly basis.

Go with ING unless you need a physical location to see a teller. Their customer service is top notch, you can scan your checks with your phone and have them available within a week (I think Chase is the same too). Plus you have access to thousands of ATM machines across the country and can earn interest on your checking account.

If you absolutely must have a physical bank, go with a credit union. They typically don't have any frees and are a lot more friendly to deal with if/when you have a problem.

OP I would go with a credit union instead of a commercial bank like Chase. Commercial banks are fee driven and can be a pain to deal with if you ever run into any problems. Also, if you are ever planning on taking a loan down the road for a car or maybe even your own barber shop it is good to already have a relationship with a credit union, they will normally work with you on establishing a loan (better rates etc.).

Originally Posted by Tom Robinson

Ive got Chase and I like it. Really simple and easy. The guy who I made my account with was cool and got me a college student account while I was still in high school. No minimum balance needed and I chose to opt out of overdrafting. If they won't give you the college account at the one you went to try going to another one and maybe theyll hook you up. I'd recommend it. Edit: I don't pay a service fee or any kind of fees. Just deposit my checks and have all my money on my debit the next day
pimp.gif
same exact thing, im thinking about opening a savings tho can sum1 give me the run down of pros and cons? Also trying to get my credit up, no credit at the moment, applied twice for a card and was denied

Originally Posted by 1C3M4M

Originally Posted by Tom Robinson

Ive got Chase and I like it. Really simple and easy. The guy who I made my account with was cool and got me a college student account while I was still in high school. No minimum balance needed and I chose to opt out of overdrafting. If they won't give you the college account at the one you went to try going to another one and maybe theyll hook you up. I'd recommend it. Edit: I don't pay a service fee or any kind of fees. Just deposit my checks and have all my money on my debit the next day
pimp.gif
same exact thing, im thinking about opening a savings tho can sum1 give me the run down of pros and cons? Also trying to get my credit up, no credit at the moment, applied twice for a card and was denied

?

Back
Top Bottom