Our Future Generation... Vol: Saving Humanity

I currently work as a High School Advisor for a non-profit organization, and I am stationed a public High School. I work with a caseload of a little over 200 students. Everyday I'm faced with students who just don't care about their future and can careless of the resources and opportunities they are give each and everyday. It saddens me to see these opportunities just float away and them not given a damn about their future. I'm sure a couple of you probably work with youth in low-income communities and face these issues everyday. Me personally I feel sadden enough that I feel like crying at times and even the parents don't help much, in some cases just give up on their own kids.
Anyone else experiencing something similar or work with students from who just give up on life as a whole? 

i think i didnt get hired for NYC teaching fellows because their group had alot of dreamers in it.

the question asked was like "a parent refuses to come to parent teacher conferences and the student is failing, what would you do?"

they were still on this idea that the parents would eventually come around

i had to tell them, there will be many cases, youll see it often, where you are the ONLY ONE who cares

the kid doesnt care, the parents dont care, etc.

everyone was all offended, but its real life

how do i know? i was once a kid who didnt care

nothing anyone told me in the 10th grade would have made me care

eventually EYE cared, MYSELF....

and i got a full ride to OSU.

so....yeah.

noone can force them to care man, the service you provide is the best thing you can do....

you can maybe convince a couple to care.....and help everyone who does care

theres not much you can do as an advisor to get kids to really care about their academic future.

i think thats moreso an area for the student's teacher....to engage them in academia....

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

i think i didnt get hired for NYC teaching fellows because their group had alot of dreamers in it.

the question asked was like "a parent refuses to come to parent teacher conferences and the student is failing, what would you do?"

they were still on this idea that the parents would eventually come around

i had to tell them, there will be many cases, youll see it often, where you are the ONLY ONE who cares

the kid doesnt care, the parents dont care, etc.

everyone was all offended, but its real life

how do i know? i was once a kid who didnt care

nothing anyone told me in the 10th grade would have made me care

eventually EYE cared, MYSELF....

and i got a full ride to OSU.

so....yeah.

noone can force them to care man, the service you provide is the best thing you can do....

you can maybe convince a couple to care.....and help everyone who does care

theres not much you can do as an advisor to get kids to really care about their academic future.

i think thats moreso an area for the student's teacher....to engage them in academia....
You my friend the answer is appreciated. Thanks for being serious, besides academic enrichment stuff we also work with them in social personal development, college access, and career exploration, AND WE GIVE THEM A SCHOLARSHIP FOR COLLEGE WHEN THEY GRADUATE which they still dont care about.. like FREE MONEY why not? But your right, You cant save everyone.

I don't understand how parents or children could not care about bettering their lives. Such a backwards world we live in.

I have two close friends who are high school teachers in lower income communities. The stories they tell me weekly are tragic. They both say it's a very draining and discouraging job because so many of the kids AND parents could not care less about education or attendance. Also, it's sad for the kids who want to be there and learn because the troublemakers suck all the attention and enthusiasm from the classroom. So sad this is the future of America.

I have worked with highs school students for the past 4 years(just graduated from college) and I have to agree with what you said. It is nearly impossible to get some of these kids to care about their futures because they don't get the right motivation from their parents and their peers. I worked in the South Bronx the past 3 months and these kids cared about NOTHING but chilling, clothes and gangs.(both boys and girls) It gets to the point that you just don't know what to do.

YET at the same time there are kids and parents who do care. I work for ASPIRA of NY and through this program I have met PLENTY of youth who are motivated and are the future leaders that we want.

Something that I have learned is that you can motivate the youth by being real with them and telling them how it really is. Whenever I tell kids about some of the experiences that I had while in college or we take them on college trips, it changes their views.

well, if you pitch it like that, how i always did when talking to kids at my old high school, that "this is free money, they will pay you to go to school yo"

its alot more attractive than "sit in boring class that you dont understand more"

you know?

alot of the parents have negative experiences with the education system, so theyre not exactly cheerleaders for their children...

alot of times, kids in those situations pick MONEY NOW for study then money later...

i mean, my own moms dropped out originally because she had a job with the state paying like 38k (in the 70s)

we have a tech program in columbus where kids of that nature can get a 2 year tech degree before they graduate high school

(basically community college/infomercial associate degrees)

but like i said, man

if you pitch it to these kids like you just said, and like i have done since i, myself, got a check for going to school

you will see more results.....especially in kids you didnt expect.

i prolly got like 5-6 kids every year to reconsider and actually get motivated for school

you got kids out here selling drugs, they KNOW MATH

you can get paid more than you make using your math for drugs, using that math in school.....and you have fun....not get shot at/arrested

its hard for kids that come from a family in which NOBODY has gone to ANY college...

i was the first in my family to go and graduate.

its a big deal to my family, too

Originally Posted by MrSneakerman

Something that I have learned is that you can motivate the youth by being real with them and telling them how it really is. Whenever I tell kids about some of the experiences that I had while in college or we take them on college trips, it changes their views.
the single most important thing for anyone working with youth is to first relate/connect with your students.

once a student thinks "wow, mr. so-and-so is/was just like me"

they tend to admire you...well admire might be a bad choice of words...

but they're down for you.

seriously.

once a kid knows you care and knows that you understand him/her.....its curtains...theyll do anything for you

and that goes from the suburbs to the hood.

ESPECIALLY in the hood, because any other attempt at teaching them WITHOUT first establishing a relationship...

will only end poorly.

and to think, people actually +#@* on teachers....cause they get "summers off"

i know teachers that spend their own money on supplies....who cry over kids....who stay everyday until 8pm....

eyes.gif

I'm going to school to become a teacher. I know I have a personality that catches most attention, which makes me confident about engaging with my students. But to have to deal with students with short attention span because of the ignorant urge to live in the moment of their surroundings, thinking they need to be about? Oh lord. I hope by then, I'll carry on an aggressive attitude that shows I care because I've been there and done that. Everyone is opened to change when they can comfortably comprehend reality.

The way this country is changing, I see a lot of the youth changing their attitudes in the near future. Looking through this thread there are a good number of people who want to engage in changing the way the youth looks at life for the simple fact that we are all learning from our own mistakes and we don't want to keep the cycle of harmful behaviour going on. If you were a bad seed and tell other bad seeds what the future holds for them, they will most likely see where you are coming from. Real respects real you just have to adapt to the realness of your surroundings. I have hope for the future.

I have worked with highs school students for the past 4 years(just graduated from college) and I have to agree with what you said. It is nearly impossible to get some of these kids to care about their futures because they don't get the right motivation from their parents and their peers. I worked in the South Bronx the past 3 months and these kids cared about NOTHING but chilling, clothes and gangs.(both boys and girls) It gets to the point that you just don't know what to do.

YET at the same time there are kids and parents who do care. I work for ASPIRA of NY and through this program I have met PLENTY of youth who are motivated and are the future leaders that we want.

yea I keep it real with them all the time, off script. 

I'm the get money now, study later kid. I am in college, not because I worked hard but because I just gave minimal effort. I think I never really cared about education because I never seen success before. I never seen someone make it out, it was born here, die here. My parents and teachers gave me that extra push I needed. My parents told me when I turn 18 it was college or the streets, and I had to get out as soon as I graduate because they refuse to take care of a grown man. My teachers and my parents seen something in me that I didn't see in myself. They never really said it but I could tell how they look at me and were hard on me when I was slipping. Even if I made B's moms would get onto me, she'd be like that's not your best because I never even seen you do homework/study at home. With that being said I feel for the youth. I don't want kids dropping out or even going to college like I did by not giving it their all. My pops used to tell me if you're going to do it you might as well give it all you got. I never really listened til now. They are giving up opportunities that kids in other places would kill for and it's just sad. Sorry if this is a lot, topic just hit home and typed almost all my thoughts on the fly.

...eh,

- ive worked with kids in a Juvenile prison for a year. the most important thing i learned about getting through to kids in this mindset, is everything you manage to teach them, no matter how receptive they are, can be knocked down over a weekend by mom, dad, uncle, auntie, brother, sister, etc.

.....good luck with that. i gave up on those 'kids' along time ago.

....well, let me say that i havent given up completely, just until i get a grant to support a program i want to start. i think that the direction and the things these other programs have to offer are just spinning wheels. i think i have a cure.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

...eh,

- ive worked with kids in a Juvenile prison for a year. the most important thing i learned about getting through to kids in this mindset, is everything you manage to teach them, no matter how receptive they are, can be knocked down over a weekend by mom, dad, uncle, auntie, brother, sister, etc.

....well, let me say that i havent given up completely, just until i get a grant to support a program i want to start. i think that the direction and the things these other programs have to offer are just spinning wheels. i think i have a cure.

im surpised to see such pessimism from you

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

...eh,

im surpised to see such pessimism from you

.....srs or sarcastic?

serious.

why you giving up, man?

that many dissapointments?

(i feel you on starting your own %+%% from scratch tho...if you ever do that, i'd be open to help you, dead %#*)

the single most important thing for anyone working with youth is to first relate/connect with your students.

once a student thinks "wow, mr. so-and-so is/was just like me"

they tend to admire you...well admire might be a bad choice of words...

but they're down for you.

seriously.

once a kid knows you care and knows that you understand him/her.....its curtains...theyll do anything for you

and that goes from the suburbs to the hood.

ESPECIALLY in the hood, because any other attempt at teaching them WITHOUT first establishing a relationship...

will only end poorly.

and to think, people actually +#@* on teachers....cause they get "summers off"

i know teachers that spend their own money on supplies....who cry over kids....who stay everyday until 8pm....

eyes.gif

Speaks the truth. 

My wife is a teacher & the amount of money she spends out of her own pocket amazes me to insure the kids in her class have what they need (school supplies, lunch sometimes, etc.) boggles my mind.

Kids today, despite their heads up their butt, need saving. It's as simple as that. With so much information, peer pressure, etc. the desire to write them off is strong but I know it will not end well for society if we give up.

Would you like to be surrounded by illiterate, disrespectful, uncaring idiots who can't do simple math or function as contributing members of society? Children need to be led, taught, & protected. There won't be enough land for all the graveyards & prisons for that type of future if we let it go down that road.

Their job is not easy, (let me be the first to tell you the "summers off" are not worth the tradeoff of my wife having stupid hours during the school year) but I always try to tell my wife that even if she changes just ONE kid's life in terms of getting them inspired to learn she's done her job to the best of her abilities. Motivation with kids is a tricky thing & it can take all of a teacher's career to find out what works with what student.

To the OP: Do your thing, man. You're exactly where you need to be. Help, don't stop helping, man. These kids need you more than you or more importantly, THEY realize.

Experience is the best teacher of all, but what you need to impart to these wayward souls is that if they can take the shortcut of your help & guidance, life & the future holds so much more promise than what they think they're stuck with.

All the best.

good post jbv.

he's right....

you gotta convince them their future can be different than anything they can fathom

because, for most of them, they can only fathom the streets they see which house everyone theyve ever known....

It is a difficult task to get the kids to understand. Particularly the older ones in high school. From my POV, you have to look at it as you having to wear multiple hats. With certain kids, you have to assess their home situaion and find out WHY they are the way they are. Most kids, even from broken homes and a parent(s) who don't care, want discipline. No matter how they express it, they want that structure and they want to be told what to do. What makes it that much harder is a parent who also thinks like that and comes from that cycle of not caring. It's a tough job to do because the actual teaching part is not the biggest part, being a social worker is. You have to understand, our society is broken, not saying that you have to save everyone, but just understand that fact about our society. (i.e. kids don't want to learn math when their mom isn't being attentive for whatever reason and the lights are off AND there is minimal to no food in the kitchen) So, as a teacher you have to be creative and meet them where their at. I worked afterschool with a difficult class of 4th and 5th graders, I felt like a teacher and that was just for 3hrs a day. However, progress can be made. I'm not a "dreamer", I'm from the hood, been to public schools and know what it's all about. My parents have over 50 years in the schools, so it's not new to me. Kids are different, but they are still just that. Kids. They still need guidance and advice, even the difficult ones. That being said, know this, you can't save every kid. It's like parenting, you can teach them so much, but after a while they will be accountable for all their decisions in life.

many of these students you guys speak of, even their parents, have a deeply colonized mind. When you're just one person working against several deeply rooted institutions, it can become very difficult. I've met and worked with enough youth myself to realize you really can't save em all. At the end of the day, if you've reached at least one of em, it's still very significant. The type of work some of you guys involved in are eventually what I see myself getting into...although I'm not exactly confident in the job prospects of counseling in public schools nowadays. In spite of such melancholy news...stay up, keep doing what you're doing, especially if you're passionate about it. God knows they need more people like us out there

one of my homeboys is a teacher here in baltimore, where alotta kids dont graduate yet alone go to college....he was tellin me that the only way these kids( the dudes at least) listen to him about staying in school and focus on the future is by telling em about the fun you can have in a college setting if they do their work and finish high school...seems like these days a teacher basically has to sell college to some students and make it sound interesting to them which is sad to me.

Back
Top Bottom