Our very own Hong Kong Sneaker Guide.

JoDaVa ~ That's good advice. 

Taxi's are cheap here anyway, but the MTR is really a good source of transportation.  Pretty much covers most of the city.  The city is generally really safe, unless you head into dark alleys late at night. *duh*  Good call on the Octopus card too as you can use it for the bus, tram, McD's, 7-11, etc as well.

Tim Ho Wan... ahhh... the infamous Michelin star dim sum joint! I've heard good things about it, but haven't been there myself! *Fail*.  Worth a try, definitely.

June, July & August is definitely the worst time to be here... way too hot and humid. It gets a tiny bit better in Sept, but doesn't change the fact that it's still pretty damn hot. 

Langham Place is in Mong Kok, which is where the street market and Sneaker st. is. There's also a big mall there and it's close to the MTR station.

Last edited:
Is it true that local HK people are rude or don't seem to care to help with directions or anything. Its just something I've read and heard. It doesn't really matter since I'm from NJ and I'm used to that from some of other NYers.
I think there are rude people in every city, but generally, I don't think HKers are rude.  If anything, maybe it's towards certain Mainland tourists cuz those tourists sometimes tend to be very rude themselves.  I'd say most are willing to help... in English too, if they can speak it.  Luck of the draw.

Last edited:
SinnerP. Thanks for the info and that summary of sneaker places a few pages back. I've made a copy of it.

Lol. You are right about that. Its always the luck of the draw on who you ask. But I much appreciate all the info from all of you. I'm sure I'll have a good time. It looks like I'll be wearing my normal tshirt and shorts ot maybe even basketball jerseys since that is all I wear when I'm in the PI.

HKK

attachment.php

TOKYO LONDON PARIS 

July 28, 2013

HK$1499

NSW Pak Sha Road.

Lol. You are right about that. Its always the luck of the draw on who you ask. But I much appreciate all the info from all of you. I'm sure I'll have a good time. It looks like I'll be wearing my normal tshirt and shorts ot maybe even basketball jerseys since that is all I wear when I'm in the PI.
That's pretty much all you'll need in terms of clothing, maybe grab a rain coat in case it rains, Langham is pretty easy to get to places, Take the MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui or one of the MANY buses that takes you to Star Ferry from Nathan Road and you can go to places like the Old Clock Tower, Avenue of the Stars, Canton Road (you're bound to find a Rolex there), Sneaker St. is close as all you got to do is cross the street, you might find a few goodies sitting in stores.

In terms of food, I actually wouldn't recommend Tim Ho Wan, it's not bad but it's not worth the price, Mong Kok has A LOT of street food vendors or you can take the MTR to Jordan and you'll find Temple Street where the street is full of street food and cheap stuff. One of my favourite places to eat is right where you're staying, 100 Bites on the 10/F of Langham Place Mall (it's in the upper spiral area, you should find it by walking). I find the desserts and the savoury menu to be good. Good Wonton Noodles and Egg Tarts are pretty much everywhere (Curry Fish Balls as well if that's up your alley).

Octopus Card is essential, as mentioned can be used in ALL transport modes in HK and in McDs, and any convenience store (7-11, Circle K, Van2Go). Trust me with the weather, the convenience store usage of your Octopus Card will be high.

In terms of asking people for directions, look for people who DON'T dress like locals, if they know the direction they'll kindly tell you how to get there, if they don't they'll politely tell you that they don't know, this is from personal experience I had A LOT of people ask me for directions but never my cousin or my HK friends because they all told me tourist tend to not ask people who dress local, I don't know if that's true but I did get asked for directions a lot and I don't dress like an HKer.

Visited several destinations during my 6 weeks stay in Asia and Hong Kong was definitely at the top. Really enjoyed it there. Trying to apply for an international school teaching position for 2014-2015.

Visited several destinations during my 6 weeks stay in Asia and Hong Kong was definitely at the top. Really enjoyed it there. Trying to apply for an international school teaching position for 2014-2015.
Good to you with the position, and if you get the job, good luck to you finding a place to stay on a decent price range.

In terms of asking people for directions, look for people who DON'T dress like locals, if they know the direction they'll kindly tell you how to get there, if they don't they'll politely tell you that they don't know, this is from personal experience I had A LOT of people ask me for directions but never my cousin or my HK friends because they all told me tourist tend to not ask people who dress local, I don't know if that's true but I did get asked for directions a lot and I don't dress like an HKer.
This one's tricky cuz it's hard to say how local dress... it's a mixture of styles here.  I mean, as a local, I can tell which ones are the locals and which are the, say, mainland tourists... but for a visitor, that'd be tough. 

There are soooooo many mainland tourists around now that chances are, you might ask one of them!  

Anyway, as for the rain, it *should* get better towards sep/oct/nov... I'd actually say stay away from a raincoat cuz of how humid it gets. You'll sweat a lot under a raincoat, which will make it even more uncomfortable.  I usually go with an umbrella.  In this humidity, the less layers the better... plus you want the breathability.  

phnrprman ~ Looking for an authentic Rolex, right? Just making sure... 
laugh.gif

SinnerP....but of course. I want to check out prices there compared to the PI since I know the PI has the Daytona and Sub I've been looking at. The places my fiancee went to only had the Daytona which was comparable to PI prices. I was also hoping to see the new GMT. The only reason I would buy it in the PI or HK is because I cant find it here in the US and the taxes hurt. Hahaha

This one's tricky cuz it's hard to say how local dress... it's a mixture of styles here.  I mean, as a local, I can tell which ones are the locals and which are the, say, mainland tourists... but for a visitor, that'd be tough. 

There are soooooo many mainland tourists around now that chances are, you might ask one of them!  

Anyway, as for the rain, it *should* get better towards sep/oct/nov... I'd actually say stay away from a raincoat cuz of how humid it gets. You'll sweat a lot under a raincoat, which will make it even more uncomfortable.  I usually go with an umbrella.  In this humidity, the less layers the better... plus you want the breathability.  
I guess I'm local enough (I was born there) so that even mainlanders ask me for directions, I get the Westerners who ask me for directions because of my penchant of wearing brands like Guess, A/X, and NBA shirts.

Umbrella would be idea, over a raincoat, I tried the raincoat once, I was SWEATING and at that point I much rather get wet over sweating.
SinnerP....but of course. I want to check out prices there compared to the PI since I know the PI has the Daytona and Sub I've been looking at. The places my fiancee went to only had the Daytona which was comparable to PI prices. I was also hoping to see the new GMT. The only reason I would buy it in the PI or HK is because I cant find it here in the US and the taxes hurt. Hahaha
Canton Road and Central probably the best places to look for AUTHENTIC Rolex, fake ones well MK and Temple street if thats up your alley, and the lack of a tax in HK helps

when are the air Jordan 1xq's coming out? I really like them joints and got someone out in china until like aug.7th. any help would be appreciated

* No idea yet, but releases in China are different from the releases in HK.

HKK.

attachment.php

Free Flyknit

August 1, 2013

Free Flyknit HK$1299

Plus restocks of...

Flyknit Racer HK$1399

Flyknit Trainer HK$1299

Flyknit Lunar1+ HK$1299

Nike Shop Fa Yuen St. 76... 

attachment.php

Also...

attachment.php

Men's HK$1249

GS HK$839

August 5, 2013

TD HK$439

August 12, 2013

Probably at the Jordan Store.

Last edited:
Reactions: alp
Damn I only got my sis over there for a few days, doubt anythingll happen out of it, thanks anyway. Keep it updated if u can, thanks man

also any news on the kobe 8 "spark"or any sneakers from the allstar game(or retail of course, not resale). once again any help is appreciated.

hey the website kicks-crew.com which is based out of hong kong is saying these are coming out over there on the 5th of august. are you sure you don't have any information on these? heres the pic:

the choice of sneakers you listed above are nice, but all easily available in the US(where I am). I understand the Chinese are into sneakers too but theres gotta be something over there that is unique to china(and possible to attain :lol:) someone I know is going to hong kong in a day or two, right now they are in Taiwan. Im gonna get a pair of kdtrey5's which are exclusive to asia but not necessarily rare. I also saw a picture of these kobes and from what I heard these are also available only internationally:

Once again if you know anything I would really appreciate it because I like these sneakers and wanna add the Asian gems to my collection.

P.S. Lets say my friend does hook me up with a pair of kicks, what is the best way to get them shipped over to the U.S.? How much does it cost approximately to get a pair of kicks sent to the U.s from Taiwan/Hong Kong?

Thank you very much sinnerp amd whoever else can help me out

Last edited:
hey the website kicks-crew.com which is based out of hong kong is saying these are coming out over there on the 5th of august. are you sure you don't have any information on these? heres the pic:

the choice of sneakers you listed above are nice, but all easily available in the US(where I am). I understand the Chinese are into sneakers too but theres gotta be something over there that is unique to china(and possible to attain
laugh.gif
) someone I know is going to hong kong in a day or two, right now they are in Taiwan. Im gonna get a pair of kdtrey5's which are exclusive to asia but not necessarily rare. I also saw a picture of these kobes and from what I heard these are also available only internationally:

Once again if you know anything I would really appreciate it because I like these sneakers and wanna add the Asian gems to my collection.

P.S. Lets say my friend does hook me up with a pair of kicks, what is the best way to get them shipped over to the U.S.? How much does it cost approximately to get a pair of kicks sent to the U.s from Taiwan/Hong Kong?

Thank you very much sinnerp amd whoever else can help me out
Kicks-crew is based in Hong Kong but they're mainly a reseller site whose main target base is Americans and Europeans. So to say their release day is completely matching with Hong Kong is a bit inaccurate. I don't think those Kobes will be International only.

To ship a shoe from HK or Taiwan to North America, just have whoever is shipping ship it by Air service, it would cost about $30 USD. It will take a week MAX to arrive

I'm in no rush to receive my kicks, as long as they come in. Thirty bucks isint that bad though. I'd still be extremely happy if I get those kobes. The jordans would be like icing on the cake lol.

I'm in no rush to receive my kicks, as long as they come in. Thirty bucks isint that bad though. I'd still be extremely happy if I get those kobes. The jordans would be like icing on the cake lol.
If your friends have the space, they can carry it back for you, just unfold the box and put the shoe in the bag, save on the shipping, that's what I did with my 3 pairs that I bought in HK

Basically, you have 2 shipping options... And this is to the States.

Standard Air Mail ~ Depending on how heavy the shoes and the box (or boxes) are, I've sent single-boxed (by request) shoes for under $20. Of course, if you double-box and the weight goes up, it'll be a bit more.  The shipping time will usually be 7-10 working days. This service has no tracking.  

Speedpost ~ This is the more expensive option, but offers online tracking and only takes 3-5 working days. Costs (I've only double-boxed with this option) ranges from US$35-45 and up.  More secure and faster, but more expensive, of course. 

Last edited:
Basically, you have 2 shipping options... And this is to the States.

Standard Air Mail ~ Depending on how heavy the shoes and the box (or boxes) are, I've sent single-boxed (by request) shoes for under $20. Of course, if you double-box and the weight goes up, it'll be a bit more.  The shipping time will usually be 7-10 working days. This service has no tracking.  

Speedpost ~ This is the more expensive option, but offers online tracking and only takes 3-5 working days. Costs (I've only double-boxed with this option) ranges from US$35-45 and up.  More secure and faster, but more expensive, of course. 
Speedpost is also the service Kicks-Crew use, if you find a box that JUST fits the shoebox with no extra room to spare, $30 should be fine, I sent two pairs from HK back to Canada (be the same to the US) using the double box option and it was around $225 HKD for me for each box

Ok thanks for all the options guys. I must have typed something wrong cuz when I tried to figure out the price online with ups, the price came out to 100usd +

Ok thanks for all the options guys. I must have typed something wrong cuz when I tried to figure out the price online with ups, the price came out to 100usd +
No, you typed it in correct, UPS will charge more but they can get it to you faster, SinnerP and I listed out prices with the Hong Kong Post which when it goes to the United States will be handed over to the USPS, HKP is reliable but I've heard many Americans saying USPS is not

Back
Top Bottom