Over 1.5 million w/o power in the DC area over the weekend/640k without power right now vol. Storms

DC area has been hit hard with this awful heat wave....heat index on Friday was over 111 
sick.gif
and the weekend was just as bad with temps in the triple-digits as well

What made everything worse was the storm that went through on Friday night (derecho definition below). 

acing along at speeds over 60 mph, the bowing line of thunderstorms formed west of Chicago around 11 a.m. and by midnight approached the Atlantic ocean. It left a massive trail of destruction spanning from northern Illinois to the Delmarva Peninsula. The National Weather Service has logged well over 800 reports of damaging winds.
This kind of fast-moving, long-lived, large, and violent thunderstorm complex is known as a derecho.

Link

This storm has wreaked havoc on the area.  Last I heard, 9 people died due to trees falling on their cars etc.  Pepco, which is one of the power companies in the area says that hopefully they'll have 90% of their customers back w. power by FRIDAY.  Again, this heat isn't making things easy. 

Parts of the DMV are impassable due to trees blocking the roads etc.  A co-worker of mine had a tree fall THROUGH his house
30t6p3b.gif
  Dude showed me pics this AM and it's awful.  Personally, I'm dealing with the mess as well.  A neighbor's tree fell into my back yard and came within 8 feet of hitting my house.  I've never seen so much widespread damage around the area as when I was driving to work today.  This is really bad. 

People are being forced to bunk up with friends/family/hotels that have AC because of this widespread power outage thats been made worse due to the heat.  For the DMV NT'ers out there, stay cool!

Yeah it's really bad out there.  Power finally came back on at my house on early Sunday morning.  I was out in VA alot this weekend and alot of trees were down on the GW Parkway and local area.  Hope everyone is okay and stays safe out there.

I live in Laurel its a mess over there. I had to go to my brothers house cause that heat was killing me. People gotta sit in McDonald's and grocery stores just to keep cool. #%#% is crazy.

I am dealing with that now bro. My family and I were in Brooklyn over the wknd and came back early Sunday morning. The whole complex was blacked out. Trees and power lines all over the road, blocked off by utility trucks. Since Friday night there was no power. Tried to go to a hotel/motel and all booked up. Other than the inconvienence all is good. Just have to adjust until power is restored, lucky no property damage or anyting like that. Could have been worse so glad about that. Middle River, MD

Good lord. I'm cooking waiting on this bus so I can only imagine. Good luck and stay hydrated.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Yeah it's really bad out there.  Power finally came back on at my house on early Sunday morning.  I was out in VA alot this weekend and alot of trees were down on the GW Parkway and local area.  Hope everyone is okay and stays safe out there.

Gridlock was ridiculous on Saturday.  A simple trip to the grocery store took forever.  I'm just shocked at the stupidity of people driving though.  People blowing through intersections where the lights are out, instead of treating it as a 4-way stop.  On top of the power being out, you have to be wary of dumb motorists as well.  Just another thing to worry about
30t6p3b.gif

Luckily, I never lost power...all of our wires are underground.  The phone was out, but had TV/Internet (FiOS).  Just gotta get this damn tree cleaned up out of my yard. 

People blowing through intersections where the lights are out, instead of treating it as a 4-way stop.  On top of the power being out, you have to be wary of dumb motorists as well

Yeah I saw the aftermath of 3 accidents on Lessburg Pike between Saturday and Sunday from people both cars and motorcycles not respecting the traffic lights being out and not doing a 4-way stop.  I'm sure there will be plenty more this week as folks deal with rush hour traffic.

Just got power yesterday afternoon.
The storm on Friday night was ridiculous. Was in the parking lot about to go into the bar when the storm came out of nowhere.

The goons were still out in full effect even during the 70+ mph winds and rain 
laugh.gif

Power never went off at my apartment but my parents out in Bowie still don't have power. Pepco called them and said they might not get power until next week.
sick.gif

Went through that last year because of a tornado. Lasted for a bout a week, we booked it to my uncles farm because they still had power due to fact they the get there power from a dam.

I couldn't imagine how it'd be in a big city like DC.

Back
Top Bottom