Over 150 people killed in Itaewon, Seoul

Surprised there isn’t a thread for this.

Over 150 people killed from being trampled/crushed on and cardiac arrest during the Halloween weekend in Seoul, Korea.

Itaewon is an area in Seoul known for partying and drinking. Also has the most amount of foreigners as well. The streets are narrow and the steeps are big.

Death toll based on citizenship so far:

6DD1F01E-C9FE-4B51-9DA1-5EC3A413D3D8.png

This reminds me of the Travis Scott event but 10x worse. Extremely sad.

Heard police were asking people to go home after all the fatalities, and some people refused to leave and wanted to continue to drink and party in the area.

Video is scary. Like one of my worst nightmares to pass on like that.
So they just were still trying to push through a blocked area?

Video is scary. Like one of my worst nightmares to pass on like that.
So they just were still trying to push through a blocked area?

From what I’ve seen and read they were all stuck within a narrow alley. Over 100k were in itaewon so there was no escape.

Been hearing about this over the weekend.... really sad.

I've never been to South Korea but is it a cultural/societal thing where people are accustomed to being in crazy dense crowds in the big cities? It's hard for me to comprehend how this can happen in 'open' streets.

I've worked in venues doing events and a couple times there was a crowd crush risk due to being over capacity. When that bottleneck hits It's a spooky feeling when you start seeing that annoyance on peoples faces turn into panic.

Just like that soccer match a couple weeks ago where 120 people died from being trampled on

rest in peace

Been hearing about this over the weekend.... really sad.

I've never been to South Korea but is it a cultural/societal thing where people are accustomed to being in crazy dense crowds in the big cities? It's hard for me to comprehend how this can happen in 'open' streets.

I've worked in venues doing events and a couple times there was a crowd crush risk due to being over capacity. When that bottleneck hits It's a spooky feeling when you start seeing that annoyance on peoples faces turn into panic.

It’s not usual to have crowds this dense. I’ve been to Seoul many times, and areas like Itaewon, Hongdae, etc. where people go out to bars/clubs/restaurants are crowded but not to the point where it’s dangerously packed and where you can’t move. I HATE packed crowds with a passion, but I never felt uncomfortable in those places. It’s more like “damn it’s so busy and lively here even on a Sunday!”

From what I read, the government recently lifted all remaining anti-COVID restrictions, so everyone who hadn’t partied in the past 2-3 years used Halloween to go all out. People from all over the country and world flew into Seoul for Halloween, which contributed to the crowds being a lot larger than usual as well.

Also, there was zero crowd control and very little police presence over the weekend, so there was no one around to prevent the situation from escalating.

Just hearing about this. Crazy how fast things snowballed man

RIP

Was wondering why the news commercial during last night's game led with what to do during a big crowd wave.

Crazy indeed how a night can start with everybody just wanting to have innocent fun on Halloween and then end like this.

It’s not usual to have crowds this dense. I’ve been to Seoul many times, and areas like Itaewon, Hongdae, etc. where people go out to bars/clubs/restaurants are crowded but not to the point where it’s dangerously packed and where you can’t move. I HATE packed crowds with a passion, but I never felt uncomfortable in those places. It’s more like “damn it’s so busy and lively here even on a Sunday!”

From what I read, the government recently lifted all remaining anti-COVID restrictions, so everyone who hadn’t partied in the past 2-3 years used Halloween to go all out. People from all over the country and world flew into Seoul for Halloween, which contributed to the crowds being a lot larger than usual as well.

Also, there was zero crowd control and very little police presence over the weekend, so there was no one around to prevent the situation from escalating.

Appreciate the insight.

Guess it was just the perfect storm of elements for this type of tragedy to occur.

This should not have happened. They need to ban mass gatherings like this is small narrow areas like Itaewon.
The same goes down in Shibuya very Halloween with much more people, but Shibuya crossing is a massive open area, not small side streets.

RIP. Tragic news to hear. I can’t imagine the pain and anguish for all involved.

R.I.p. to the people. At first I thought it was terrorism. But it was people being jampacked and crushing each other. Unbelievable.

It's more so you fall and then a wave of other people fall, now you're stuck on the ground and then you go into cardiac arrest because of all the pressure of people and surroundings (someone correct me if I'm not as accurate)

This story is crazy. Horrible way to die.

Im a big guy and Ive been in concert crowds were the movements felt unsafe. I dunno how smaller people do it without feeling anxious.

Back
Top Bottom