Papa John's Blames NFL Protests for losing sales

People Defend the Right to Be Racist Using Hashtag #PapaJohnDidNothingWrong
DiQqz9QU0AAmqvr.jpg

https://www.complex.com/life/2018/0...ist-using-hashtag-papa-john-did-nothing-wrong

Last week, Papa John’s founder John Schnatter resigned as the chairman of Papa John’s International, after a news report published in Forbes claimed he used the N-word on a conference call in May.

If only this story stopped there, but unfortunately, it doesn’t. The company’s former CEO has since claimed he was somehow pressured into using racist language, and conservatives are now flocking to defend Schnatter by buying mediocre pizza and using the hashtag #PapaJohnDidNothingWrong.

As Daily Dot points out, the movement was sparked by Nicholas Fuentes. Others soon decided to call up their local Papa John's and join in.

This story isn't all bad though. Some users found solid meme-potential in Fuentes’ disappointing green paper placement.

For those who don’t remember, Schnatter previously blamed slumping pizza sales on the NFL protests against police brutality and racial injustice. He was eventually forced to step down as CEO but remained chairman of the board and the face of the brand. Now that he's not holding any of those positions, buying up all that pizza isn’t helping Schnatter in any way, shape, or form. If anything, this hashtag is merely useful for identifying your local bigot.

Papa John's Founder Says Resigning Over N-Word Use Was a Mistake
John Schnatter stepped down as chairman of the Kentucky-based pizza chain last week but now says he was ‘kind of provoked’
3300.jpg

John Schnatter reportedly said his use of the N-word came in a conference call with the pizza chain’s marketing company. Photograph: Danny Moloshok/Reuters

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-says-resigning-over-n-word-use-was-a-mistake

Yeah, that was the mistake :lol:

Taking a page out of Don's playbook. This idiot really thinks that if he denies everything strong enough then he's fine.

He's the boss and it's his likeness, he shouldn't have bowed to any pressure, from his claim to being pressured to use the word and being pressured to resign. That shows is that he's a weak leader and it's actually the right decision for him to leave. I'm still not giving them my money either way.

Smh just got off work and headed straight for the kitchen soon as i hit the door.
Saw a box of Littrle Ceasaers on the stove, opened it and saw that it was empty.

Then decided to open the fridge because i was sure there would be another box in there for me. Guess what I saw... a box of m fing Pa Pa Johns i kid you not. Smh imma have to eat this while trying to figure out what made my family stop there. We’re normally Dominos and Little Ceasars people. Don’t think any of us have been to Pa Pa in 5+ years.

All that money can’t fix that ugly mug. Glad we’re spared from seeing him throughout football season.

Lol at racist *** Denny's seeing this as a opportunity to buy Papa John's franchises. You can't make this stuff up

Surprise, surprise. Jason "****lock" Whitlock went to bat for "Papa" John.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2018/08/01/jason-whitlock-defends-papa-john/878526002/

Jason Whitlock defends his fellow Ball State alum, 'Papa' John Schnatter

In an exclusive interview with The Star Press, Whitlock said Schnatter "is Ball State family and we better treat him like family;" the controversy surrounding Schnatter's use of the N-word "has virtually nothing to do with race and racism;" and "the only person disparaged was Colonel Sanders" (see Whitlock's complete comments below).

Question: What do you think about his comments/stance on NFL players kneeling? That’s been cited as another example of racism.

Answer: To my knowledge, he said Papa John’s sales were hurt by the NFL’s national anthem controversy and that he was disappointed in commissioner Roger Goodell’s leadership. I don’t see how that is racist. Those are opinions about sales and a white commissioner.

If the assertion/assumption is John Schnatter disagrees with NFL players kneeling during the national anthem, I don’t think that’s proof of racism either. Disagreeing with a small handful of black NFL players is not proof of racism. I’m black. You are allowed to disagree with my thoughts, opinions and actions without having your character impugned. I’m a man, not an ill child. I can handle push-back. I can hold my own in a debate. The people screaming that it’s racist to disagree with Colin Kaepernick are people who think black men are incapable of withstanding rigorous debate. They think we’re ill children who must be pampered.

Question: Do you think there could be something else at play here —behind the scenes — and that this might be not so much about racism but more about something else?

Answer: The Papa John’s controversy has virtually nothing to do with race or racism. It’s all political — corporate politics, campus politics, community politics and just plain-old politics. The man has wielded an immense level of power in Louisville and at the University of Louisville for nearly three decades. He’s been involved in the firing of school presidents, coaches and athletic directors. Those kinds of dealings create enemies.

Taking his pizza empire public made John Schnatter ridiculously wealthy, but it also invited competitors into his kingdom. Answering to shareholders is the toughest job in business, especially if you’re undisciplined with your mouth and feisty. Mr. Schnatter’s enemies and competitors are exploiting the American media’s hatred of conservatives and addiction to race-baiting to take him down. It’s obvious. I live in Los Angeles. I do not know John Schnatter. But Stevie Wonder can see what’s happening to Papa John.

Back
Top Bottom