Passing the torch.

I'm from where peoples pull your card, and argue all day about
Who's the best MC, Biggie, Jay-Z or Nas

Ask an bronze age dude and they'll tell you Oscar Robertson is the greatest basketball player of all time.
A silver age dude says Dr. J.
A golden age cat says Michael Jordan.
And youngins will argue for LeBron.

There's always somebody coming to take the crown, dudes older than me still put Rakim in their top bracket of emcees, and of course I'm obligated to put Jay, Big, Pac, Nas and Eminem in mine. As the game changes new cats gotta rise to the top right?

Has the game changed enough to change anybodies top emcee bracket? Are there any new cats that have made an impact enough to be counted amongst the greats?

Has the game changed enough to change anybodies top emcee bracket? Are there any new cats that have made an impact enough to be counted amongst the greats?

I think this is a great questioned raised.

In my eyes Kendrick Lamar lyrically is as nice as anyone I had ever heard in years but he has earned the right to knock on the door of the top emcee bracket with dropping a classic debut album. I don't think anyone else has made a great enough impact on hip-hop recently to mentioned among the greats.

Kendrick and J.Cole are starting to get there IMO

As for now im still rolling with

Dr.Dre, Tupac, Royce , E-40

kendrick & cole will be the next names being mentioned... i think most people will still put nas, jay, biggie, pac,etc st the top of their lists though.

BIG taught JAY & NAS
iX0Y0Zds9peAY.gif

Nas was rapping when BIG was still selling drugs tho

Man I don't know what it is but Krit's music has lost it's replay value to me, and I really think dude is talented.

Like most people will argue, Kendrick has stepped up to the plate in a major way. So has Cole. I'm also inclined to say Donald Glover/Childish Gambino is gunning for the top spot out of all the talent of today.

I've been thinking about it a lot, I recently found myself a slave to CDs. When I went to grab a handful of em I realized that the first couple disks were established, classic joints. NaS, Jay, then I reached for DMX and TI, then J Cole and K.R.I.T, In that order. But as I spun the music awhile Krits catalog kept me coming back but he's not top nothin' to me. Not yet. But then I thought about it and couldn't think of any strong contenders another classic and I'd let K.Dot see the top ten. I'd like to see Krit have a track get past regional shine to be considered, and I love Cole but he's got some ground to recover since the debut. But when you look at the likes of Luda and TI, 50 cent and all the others who have come to prominence the only one still viable is Wayne, who's major knock is the style switch didn't go over well with everyone. For BIG and Pac GOAT status was debatable, but nobody ever said either was trash.

kendrick & cole will be the next names being mentioned... i think most people will still put nas, jay, biggie, pac,etc st the top of their lists though.

KRIT could be in that discussion to if he gets a good opportunity (i.e. not be on Def Jam)

Agreed... Especially since his production is & has been on point for awhile.

& I know its still early, but I see Joey BAD***** making his mark on the game real soon.

I just wish they were more efforts to make ILLMATICs, READY TO DIEs, REASONABLE DOUBTs..newer rappers try hard to get so many featurings as possible just to have radio play and etc. taking away the artistic part of making their own album.

I just wish they were more efforts to make ILLMATICs, READY TO DIEs, REASONABLE DOUBTs..newer rappers try hard to get so many featurings as possible just to have radio play and etc. taking away the artistic part of making their own album.

I agree with this. Which is why Kendricks debut was so refreshing....the artist that I think can also do this as was mentioned by AirJordan JB23 is Joey Bad***** dude is all about the art and doesn't care about the radio. Lyrically he is dope and I think he has the potential to make a great impact on the game with the release of his debut album.

I think this is a great questioned raised.

In my eyes Kendrick Lamar lyrically is as nice as anyone I had ever heard in years but he has earned the right to knock on the door of the top emcee bracket with dropping a classic debut album. I don't think anyone else has made a great enough impact on hip-hop recently to mentioned among the greats.
the-college-dropout.jpg

516is-FPgmL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

31aIe%2BUQuaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These albums in particular changed the sound landscapes of rap at the time . . . and Late Reg and MBDTF are classics in my opinion . . . Watch The Throne was a great album too, don't know if classic . . .

You can't talk about hip hop impact without mentioning Ye . . .

the-college-dropout.jpg
516is-FPgmL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
31aIe%2BUQuaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

These albums in particular changed the sound landscapes of rap at the time . . . and Late Reg and MBDTF are classics in my opinion . . . Watch The Throne was a great album too, don't know if classic . . .​

You can't talk about hip hop impact without mentioning Ye . . .​

I think Ye is definitely a great hip-hop artist and great music artist period! However regarding the question as to if he is mentioned with the great emcees I would have to say no because even though he has improved over the years before MBDTF he is not a great lyricist. He has produced some great works but I don't know if he is or ever will be looked at in the same realm as Jay, Big, Nas, etc due to his lack of lyricism IMO.

Ye didn't affect the game with his rapping but musically he definitely had an impact.

I'd rather listen to Ye over present day Jay. Idc idc idc.

Dudes saying he's not a great lyricist. Are you claiming dude is just a bunch of nice beats and catchy hooks?

MBDTF, 808's, College Dropout, Graduation... Those aren't filled with lyricism?

Last edited:
Dudes saying he's not a great lyricist. Are you claiming dude is just a bunch of nice beats and catchy hooks?

nevermind

Last edited:
Until Jay leaves the game for good, the answer will always be him.

Followed by Em of course.

Not at all....I am not saying that at all.

Kanye has damn good lyrics on his albums but when it comes to him as a rapper I wouldn't label him "lyrical" the way I would a Nas or a Jay. To be labeled lyrical you have to a master of language in music while skillfully using the various elements of poetry/language (alliteration, imagery, double-entendres etc).

Back
Top Bottom