::PAU GASOL TRADED TO LAKERS - CONFIRMED BY ESPN, Yahoo!, LA Times::

The Grizz didn't want Kwame, they wanted his expiring contract. Lakers were about to be rid of him anyways.

Still, it's amazing the Grizz would dump an All Star who's a big for an expiring contract, Crittendon and some draft picks (doubt the Lakers are gonnabe lottery picks). You do that to lure a prime free agent, but who the hell would want to go to Memphis now?

why Aaron Mckie? WHY?

side note: Grizz fans prob saying Kwame has untapped potential....man they had to separate Gasol and Navarro...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

^ Brand, Jamison are also FA's. I agree, though... they better be doing all this stuff for someone big.
They are... His name is Michael Beasley.

Ya did it Mitch!...ya did it...you went and grabbed the cheesecake from Memphis lol

does this mean no more "Do it Mitch!" posts and now "You did it Mitch!?".....stay tuned

Yeah I don't understand how everyone is jumping on memphis for taking Kwame...it was a financial move.

the trade seems a little one sided, but i think theres more going on..
Kwames contract expires end of season giving them some contract space, (enough to pick someone up?)
they aquire a good young gaurd in crittenton,
and first round picks in promising draft classes 08 and 2010..

still...

Got to love espn....

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Sources: Grizz sending Gasol to Lakers for Brown[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 1, 2008, 3:37 PM ET

The Memphis Grizzlies will send Pau Gasol and a future second-round pick to the Lakers for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, the unofficially retired Aaron McKie , the draft rights to Pau Gasol's brother Marc and future first-round picks in 2008 and 2010, NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

4297.jpg

Gasol

3511.jpg

Brown
It is believed that the Lakers would need to arrange a sign-and-trade for McKie to make the salary cap math work for the deal. McKie is not currently playing in the NBA but his rights are owneed by the Lakers.
According to The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal, which also reported the trade, the Grizzlies decided to move ahead with trading Gasol because the team felt it could not longer move ahead with him off or on the court -- and that the acquisition of Brown, who is earning $9,075,000 in the last year of his contract, would provide the franchise salary cap relief.

The Commercial Appeal also reported that the Grizzlies are sending Stromile Swift to the New Jersey Nets for center Jason Collins. The Grizzlies and Nets have been discussing that deal for the past week and expect to finalize it on Monday, according to the report.

Swift met with Grizzlies coach Marc Iavaroni and general manager Chris Wallace on Friday, was sent home and did not practice with the team and will not play in Saturday's game against Utah, the newspaper reported.

ESPN.com NBA writer Marc Stein contributed to this report.

I didn't know gasol was short and black....
roll.gif

Originally Posted by PO2345

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Cavs sitting around watching everyone else get better...

Again, because the Cavs have no tradeable assets.
Dude, Kwame is NOT an asset. PO
A near 10 million dollar expiring contract is a pretty decent asset to a rebuilding team that needs cap space... So, yeah, he is.

$9M off the books for Memphis after this season.

They didn't trade for Kwame Brown. They traded for his expiring deal.

Obviously he was dude. Anyone with a HUGE contract that expires at the end of the current season is a tradeable asset. It doesnt matter ifKwame is the worst player in the NBA. He was a tradeable asset due to his contract. Period. End of debate.

**edit- I guess other smart NBA fans beat me to the punch. Sorry bro...clearly you are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom