People who have experience with getting jeans tailored

I have a few jeans that I really like color wise, but I'm no longer a fan of the fit. Is it possible to get some jeans tailored down to a slim fit? I mean I know its possible but is it an easy feat if the jeans are straight leg, a size bigger than what I'm looking for right now, or would I be better off just getting rid of them?

easy tailor job.

they just need to bring the seam in, for the most part.

any tailor can do it. I assume they aren't selvage denim?

yea just got a good tailor, ive seen some $%%$ jobs

check also the denim thread

Originally Posted by maldonado

easy tailor job.

they just need to bring the seam in, for the most part.

any tailor can do it. I assume they aren't selvage denim?
lol nope. I've looked through the demin thread also I saw one person ask this question but it never got answered its why I made the thread instead

Hey, I have a question. If your jeans are too long, are tailors able to shorten them and have them still look stock? I mean add the stitch line at the bottom so they still look like from the store.

Originally Posted by cguy610

Hey, I have a question. If your jeans are too long, are tailors able to shorten them and have them still look stock? I mean add the stitch line at the bottom so they still look like from the store.

If it's not selvedge, then it'll be fine. Selvedge usually have their own distinct thread for the seams. Overall, only a jean enthusiast would be able to tell the difference anyways but if the jeans are expensive, it's usually because of all the details. If it's just levis, then it should be no problem at all. 

Never got jeans taken in (*made smaller at the waist).  I do get jeans hemmed and tapered from time to time.  Can't do Levi's off the rack anymore.

I "tailored" a few pairs of my jeans myself, and have been happy with the outcome.  I have a few more pairs I want to do
this is one of them,  they're are both 501's  you can see how wide they were and the difference after

jean.png

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by cguy610

If it's not selvedge, then it'll be fine. Selvedge usually have their own distinct thread for the seams. Overall, only a jean enthusiast would be able to tell the difference anyways but if the jeans are expensive, it's usually because of all the details. If it's just levis, then it should be no problem at all. 
Good looking out.  I'm not that particular about my jeans but need to keep that stitch line at the bottom.  I can't have my jeans looking like I got them out of Jordan's closet or something. 
laugh.gif

im having the same issue.

i bought a pair of new standard's (apc)

think theyre too wide now.. cant return because i had them altered already for the length..

now i want them slimmer to fit more like my new cures

think i might have just blown $180
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

I "tailored" a few pairs of my jeans myself, and have been happy with the outcome.  I have a few more pairs I want to do
this is one of them,  they're are both 501's  you can see how wide they were and the difference after

jean.png

I'm about to get some black 501s tailored into slim fits. What'd you actually SAY to the tailor so that he knew exactly what you wanted? Would me actually wearing some slim fits help them get an idea of the size of the leg opening that I'm looking for?
Sorry for asking all of these questions fam, it's just that I've been meaning to do this for weeks now and I kept putting it off. 501s fit 
sick.gif

don't know a real tailors exact process
but this is what I did on the pair in the picture
I put them on inside out and sat down with legs outstretched, then pinned them in to the width I wanted
then took a marker and yard stick to make a guide from my pins.
another one I did
I put them on, then sort of pulled the excess to however slim I wanted it and pinned it (hard to do without someone helping)
then drew the guide lines..

^the tailors process is probably similar to that one, probably on the inside seam though.
you can cut out the excess, but I left it just in case I wanted to undo do it at some point

I'm having a similar problem. Have some Momotaro x Blue Japans and they're WAY too long. I don't mind stacking, but there's just way too much fabric. Every tailor I've called around town doesn't seem to be familiar with chain stitching so I'm wary of taking them in as I don't want to mess them up.

Love the way my New Standards fit.. don't think I'd want them much slimmer personally

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

don't know a real tailors exact process
but this is what I did on the pair in the picture
I put them on inside out and sat down with legs outstretched, then pinned them in to the width I wanted
then took a marker and yard stick to make a guide from my pins.
another one I did
I put them on, then sort of pulled the excess to however slim I wanted it and pinned it (hard to do without someone helping)
then drew the guide lines..

^the tailors process is probably similar to that one, probably on the inside seam though.
you can cut out the excess, but I left it just in case I wanted to undo do it at some point

I'm an idiot 
laugh.gif

Re-read your initial post and realized you did it yourself and then the link you posted made way more sense.

Thanks fam, I'm trying to have these fitting well by the end of the weekend, just in time for those Black/Red AJKOs.

ive had a few pairs of jeans perfectly tailored, but when i wanted my most expensive pair tailored they cut em too short
blow the whistle

Back
Top Bottom