People with anxiety or panic attacks ....

I get it to some degree in crowded places too. Places like Chipotle where there are people behind you in front of you, beside you, young, old. I'm also on the taller side at 6'3" so I feel like I stick out in general and have insecurities that in my mind I think people pick up on, even though in reality no one cares.

I was the type of dude who throughout high school and college sat in the back corner of the room so everyone and everything was in front of me. Ridiculous thinking back. I probably should have done things blatantly out of my comfort zone instead of skating through the best ages of my life in my "safe zone." It's honestly probably created a whole slew of different issues.

I think sometimes we have to just say "F---k it." We are what we are. Definitely easier said than done. I think what we have in common is that WE CARE TOO MUCH. Or we're perfectionists. Afraid of failing or even being judged. That makes adopting the "F--k it" mentality that much harder. It's not in our nature. We can't change our way of thinking overnight. It's a battle.

LMAO. This is me.

I tried to sit in the front and get comfortable with it, I just can't. This isn't something you just tough out. It's gonna happen over and over again. It might not be as bad as you do it more, but you'll still have it. I get the the back every time or in a spot where I can see people or they can't see me.

This sucks.

Every time it happens It ruins my day. I can't stop thinking about it.

Damn bro. You're 6'3? I would panic more if I was above avg height.

Am I the only one who tries to stay still and not move at all sometimes?

I used to get that feeling that everyone was watching me and it would make me really nervous. Nowadays i still feel like people are looking at me but i really don't care. I'm a bigger guy too, 6'2 with alot of tattoos. If i catch someone staring at me i just look in their eyes then they look away. It's all about how you carry yourself. Walk in like you own the place.

Thanks for contributing man! Glad you stumbled upon the thread. I appreciate all these personal testimonies so much, whether it's about you or people you know.

One thing I've learned that may be of some benefit to others...embrace anxiety. It's okay. I think once you accept that it's part of who you are, it's easier to move on. It's okay to say "I have anxiety." Like you said, American society glorifies the "tough guy" keep your feelings within (ala the sentiment from Tony's pals in the Sopranos).

However, in my opinion that is WAY more counterproductive and even destructive. There's plenty of literature nowadays warning us how bad stress is for overall health. Keeping it stored within is like creating a ticking time bomb in a pressure cooker. No bueno. I learned the hard way. It needs to be released via the methods you described, exercise and so on. I'm still working on it myself.
Hey brother!

Thanks, man. I talked to a girl who was on prescribed anti depressant and anxiety pills from her doctor, and went the natural supplement route (again, not pushing the products but just telling results that I've seen). She's now completely off the anxiety pills and her doctor is weening her off the anti depressant, currently 30% off. I've never taken those things before, but she's beyond thrilled.

You are dead on. Even simple things like gratification walks help a bit. I think I'm going to start a local meetup group for people to join in.

This video changed everything for me:

I learned to be transparent with everyone, and that helped so much in engaging a deep level of conversation.

Haven't had a panic attack in about 2 years now but when I did, they were absolutely crippling.

Felt like I was going to die. Body would go numb, heart would be pounding out of my chest, feeling of impending doom, sweating beyond belief...

I don't miss those days one bit. I was able to change my perspective on fear through a ton of self help stuff. It was a grind for 6 months.

Haven't had a panic attack in about 2 years now but when I did, they were absolutely crippling.

Felt like I was going to die. Body would go numb, heart would be pounding out of my chest, feeling of impending doom, sweating beyond belief...

I don't miss those days one bit. I was able to change my perspective on fear through a ton of self help stuff. It was a grind for 6 months.

What type of self-help did you employ?

What type of self-help did you employ?

Call it corny, but anything on the internet I was able to get my hands on. Youtube videos, online CBT courses, etc. It really broke down for me that people fear fear. When I was having panic attacks, I was so worried I was going to die. That my heart would give out, that I'd pass out, that I'd die. It's not easy, but you have to start finding ways to rationalize irrational thoughts. I learned to embrace my fears and welcome them. That my body was going numb because I was hyperventilating, that my heart could beat as fast as it wanted because it's trained and strong enough to withhold that, that no one's ever died from an anxiety/panic attack, etc.

Change your lifestyle anyway you can. Try losing weight, get yourself out of debt, be honest with yourself about your flaws and insecurities, open up to family and friends, find new productive hobbies. The mind is a crazy thing. It can be a prison for you if you allow it to be.

There's no such thing as corny, brother. You gotta put the shield and 'mask of masculinity' down here.

Where are everyone from? Anyone in the Greater LA area wanting to do a support group?

Talked to a nurse today who's been on anti-depressants since 2015. She's completely off now due to the supplement. Powerful stuff, they all cried since it's such a big deal to them.

As always, open invitation for anyone who has no one to talk to, ping me. I talk to so many Nters throughout the country on the regular basis, it's good to connect on a deeper level.

Last edited:
SSRI withdrawal was an absolute monster. I know some people have to take them, but please try to avoid them in any way possible.

I was withdrawing for months after. Waves and windows were crazy.

You're supposed to taper down over a few months.

Trust, I did. I didn't stop it cold turkey. I didn't respond well to the SSRI I was prescribed from the beginning. I got every bad side effect you could imagine. I then realized maybe taking an antidepressant was just a bad idea and I jumped into it too early. I went to the ER after my first panic attack as I legitimately thought I was dying. The doctor said I was completely healthy 26 year old male at the time and prescribed me Ativan and a SSRI. I knew it was a bad idea but I was hopeless at that point.

Best wishes to all of you either taking SSRI's or weaning off them.

Trust, I did. I didn't stop it cold turkey. I didn't respond well to the SSRI I was prescribed from the beginning. I got every bad side effect you could imagine. I then realized maybe taking an antidepressant was just a bad idea and I jumped into it too early. I went to the ER after my first panic attack as I legitimately thought I was dying. The doctor said I was completely healthy 26 year old male at the time and prescribed me Ativan and a SSRI. I knew it was a bad idea but I was hopeless at that point.

Best wishes to all of you either taking SSRI's or weaning off them.

Crazy, ya most of the time you should be ok tapering off of an SSRI.

Ativan is a benzo which is a totally different ball game. But for some people who can't live a normal life due to panic attacks those pills can be a god send.

Crazy, ya most of the time you should be ok tapering off of an SSRI.

Ativan is a benzo which is a totally different ball game. But for some people who can't live a normal life due to panic attacks those pills can be a god send.

Really? I see horror stories up the wazoo over SSRI withdrawals. I never want to relive that period in my life ever again.

And yea, I wanted to avoid benzo addiction at all costs. Only time I really take them is when I fly. And that's .5 mg at that.

Really? I see horror stories up the wazoo over SSRI withdrawals. I never want to relive that period in my life ever again.

And yea, I wanted to avoid benzo addiction at all costs. Only time I really take them is when I fly. And that's .5 mg at that.

Ya for real if done right. Some people take longer than 3 months.

But ya i have Ativan too but i don't take them. Just knowing i have them helps. I got the ones that go under the tongue so if i'm having a panic attack i can take one and in 5 minutes it's gone.

Ya for real if done right. Some people take longer than 3 months.

But ya i have Ativan too but i don't take them. Just knowing i have them helps. I got the ones that go under the tongue so if i'm having a panic attack i can take one and in 5 minutes it's gone.

Last part is TRUTH. Knowing you have it near helps a ton. I used to carry Ativan/Xanax in my sports bag EVERYWHERE I went. I think mentally knowing I had an 'emergency pull cord' nearby prevented attacks from happening. I'm at that point now where I don't need them anymore and just keep them at home.

Glad to see you're doing well man. Keep it up.

Last part is TRUTH. Knowing you have it near helps a ton. I used to carry Ativan/Xanax in my sports bag EVERYWHERE I went. I think mentally knowing I had an 'emergency pull cord' nearby prevented attacks from happening. I'm at that point now where I don't need them anymore and just keep them at home.

Glad to see you're doing well man. Keep it up.

Ya for sure you too buddy.

Back
Top Bottom