Perfect stroke. Vol: Shooters chime in

I posted in the shooting slump thread, but I figured I'd make a thread to get more input.

"I aint a real shooter just have some very good days. Never played organized ball, and I have horrible form. I don't go back to work for a month, so whats somethings I can do to get a good technique and consistency? I too have been in a slump, last time my jumper was poppin was almost 2 weeks ago"

Stand under the basket and shoot. Make 25 in a row all net . This will help your wrist action , giving you more arch and develop muscle memory.

on the block? And what I'm really looking for is something that will actually bring consistency when it comes to in game situations. My jumper never looks the same, yet for some reason I hit pretty often. I can honestly say I have no real ball control, no technique, and imma pretty awful shooter. So when I'm not hitting it's pretty awful, cause I don't really know what to do, to increase my chances. The fact that I actually do have days where I hit anything I want always lead me to think I was a decent shooter, but I can hit 6 threes in a row, and then turn around and miss very badly the rest of the night.

practice bro. tons and tons of shots. muscle memory. just keep shooting. think of it like math. you exhaust yourself with problems doing homework so when the test happens, its as easy as breathing. same concept. put the work in, practice different things, sweat it out, be viceral, surgical, detail oriented. then when you hoop, trust in the time that you put in the gym. believe that what you did woked. trust in your skills. and dont hope its going in, know its going in. basketball is as much mental as physical. self belief is a big part of it.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Fix your mechanics.

Elbow in.

Jump straight up & down, you want to have perfect balance.

Square your shoulders to the rim, feet shoulder length apart

Ball should on the forefront on your hand, not too close to the palm.

On your shooting arm, you want it to be shaped like an L, or as close as possible.

When you follow through, just imagine that you're trying to put your hand in the rim.

I normally shoot from the corner, elbow, & top of the key from inside & outside the three point line until I've had 50 makes from each spot.

Start at around 25 makes from each spot & build up from there.

I heard guys like Ray Allen only count swishes when he's practicing :lol:

perfect stroke is developed at young age especially with the "follow thru".
great shooters even if they don't have balance or some has awkward form, they have. a rainbow release becuase of their follow thru

Perfect practice makes perfect.
Fix your mechanics.
Elbow in.
Jump straight up & down, you want to have perfect balance.
Square your shoulders to the rim, feet shoulder length apart
Ball should on the forefront on your hand, not too close to the palm.
On your shooting arm, you want it to be shaped like an L, or as close as possible.
When you follow through, just imagine that you're trying to put your hand in the rim.
I normally shoot from the corner, elbow, & top of the key from inside & outside the three point line until I've had 50 makes from each spot.
Start at around 25 makes from each spot & build up from there.
I heard guys like Ray Allen only count swishes when he's practicing :lol:

practice bro. tons and tons of shots. muscle memory. just keep shooting. think of it like math. you exhaust yourself with problems doing homework so when the test happens, its as easy as breathing. same concept. put the work in, practice different things, sweat it out, be viceral, surgical, detail oriented. then when you hoop, trust in the time that you put in the gym. believe that what you did woked. trust in your skills. and dont hope its going in, know its going in. basketball is as much mental as physical. self belief is a big part of it.

This is going to sound corny..well maybe...But youtube look up several vids on shooting mechanics. Find the common themes(some of them I have put in bold that I have seen) and practice practice practice until it feels good. I have been playing basketball since I was in grade school and honestly did not even develop a confidence in my jumper until after high school.

3 years ago i used to hoop everyday and became a knock down shooter. i havent hooped much since so if i go back and shoot right now i will be nowhere near where i used to be. it's all practice. just practice the fundamentals. start from shooting a couple feet from the basket, and then keep moving outward, DON'T RUSH TO THE 3 POINT LINE. lots and lots of practice will get you there.

as far as in game situations, practice the moves you'd like to implement, and keep at it.

BEEF technique straight up. My aim is back of the rim for the "eye" part. I fall victim to the "chicken wing" with my elbow when I lose focus or get tired

I have 2 methods for you, I used to shoot with my elbow out for a while until my freshman coach changed it up. It's odd but it works....1) if you go to cvs or a drug store or something and get an arm sling and put on your shooting arm. Just practice (w/o a ball) swinging your arm into a shooting motion. Make sure it's loose tho because if it's too snug or high up on your torso you'll just hit yourself in the face :lol:.it forces you to keep your elbow in when you come from your pocket into the release 2) stand on the base line on either side of the basket. If the bball court is used for volleyball then there will be a line right under the backboard running parallel. you should stand about 5-6 feet back from the side and shoot the ball against the flat part on the side of the back board. let the ball bounce once when it comes back and if your form in correct it should hit you in the middle of your chest. wide left or right and you'll be chasing the ball everywhere.

lot of good advice in here. Kinda cool to get some serious replies for once, thanks y'all

BEEF technique straight up. My aim is back of the rim for the "eye" part. I fall victim to the "chicken wing" with my elbow when I lose focus or get tired

This. Plus as some of the other posters said, start close and work your way out distance-wise. Develop a good, consistent form as your foundation first. You can add distance/range later.

I'm a pretty good shooter, with good range (few feet behind NBA 3).

For me, it was just practice. My brothers were older than me, so I never really got to play with them when they would play with friends, etc. So the only thing I could do was shoot by myself.

I was 8 in 1998, and thats when we moved to our first house. One of the first things I asked for was a basketball hoop. I just remember coming home from school, and putting up shots for like 2-3 hours, almost everyday. This led to me being a very good shooter.

I always get asked how I became a good shooter, and the only thing I can say is practice, practice, practice.

The one thing I have to say is that even if your stroke isn't technically perfect,just make sure it's consistant. I mean Shawn Marion is still knocking down jumpers in the laegue and is considered a good shooter. Kevin Martin as welll. consistancy is the key.

Whenever I have an off night, it's mostly because I'm not using my legs and I'm moreso "throwing" the ball off my fingerpads rather then "flicking" it and let it roll off if that makes any sense

Whenever I have an off night, it's mostly because I'm not using my legs and I'm moreso "throwing" the ball off my fingerpads rather then "flicking" it and let it roll off if that makes any sense
It does, this is the exact thing I tend to do. After I do it once, I notice right away, but it throws my rhythm off and i just continue to do it.

Try the shot buildup technique. We used to do this back when I played hs ball

U line up w/ the basket at the the block, non shooting arm behind u, and u shoot until u feel comfortable, then u step and so on and so forth. It teaches u to keep your elbow in.

after that, u move up and then work w/ both hands and keep going back.

Where is your release when shooting? Do you release at your peak, on the way up or on the way down? Do you fade away when shooting? Gotta take all those things into consideration as well.

I wasn't a great shooter in hs but the summer before going to college, I starting shooting more and working on my shot a lot more. Now I'm considered a shooter when I don't think I am. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom