Photography contest/assignment #1 (UPDATED 05.22.09: VOTING BEGINS PG. 11 - please VOTE!)

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

I thought it was 3 entries per person? Yama whats going on dude?

Originally Posted by rizobs

its a little confusing in here. i thought it was one entry with a 3 shot set. so you have 3 shots all in one post? did i get that right?

yes you are both correct. 3 per entry is maximum. any more and they are not critiqued/used for later judging.

Originally Posted by J PayCheck

^ For me it's not even that, but more the fact that a "winner" was never announced and what/when will the next assignment be posted.

This idea and thread had great potential BUT unfortunately the OP wasn't able to follow through. Who knows though, whats going on in his/her personal life and I'm not going to check if he/she has been posting on NT... BUT still...

Does anyone want to volunteer to pick-up where the OP left off... name a "winner" and assign a new assignment? I can't do it, well, because I don't have the commitment and/or time (sometimes).

I always said that maybe the NT Photographer should start a group on Flickr, it will allow for more organization, FAQs, tips, discussions, and assignments to be posted. Dunno.

yes, sorry about the delay, i have been unusually busy lately and have not been able to get around to all the posts. FWIW, it took me approximately 5 hours togo through all 7 pages of photographs and think about them and rate them individually; it's a lot more work than i thought! i will have to come up withsomething different next time.

a flickr group is also what i was thinking for the future, if enough people participate. so far it looks like we do have enough, so i may just start a groupup, but as you know this will take a while to set up as while, since our personal lives are probably very busy...

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I don't think it should even be a contest. Just assignments for people to go out and shoot and compare and contrast with things. I mean can actually be an official judge on here unless it is a poll of some sorts.

I don't want to pick up the slack but I suggest something for the other assignment.

i sort of agree with you; i like it the way it is - simple critiques. however picking winners will provide more incentives for people, and i've certainlygot a few "prizes" in the form of SD cards and flash drives and little accessories here and there to donate for further incentive. i saw yoursuggestion in the thread earlier and it is a good one, i think the next one may be just that...

Originally Posted by rizobs

i am not going to take over the admin of this thread, but i do have an idea for the next project

let's do some play with lighting, but you can not use the standard light sources of sunlight or flashes/strobes.
let's try to play with new light sources. ie: candle light, street light, or restaurant lighting (usually hard to work with.) this will help us learn some techniques with manual exposures and white balance.

who's down?

haha, this is probably more difficult than you think, as it requires quite a few things newcomers would not really understand, such as tungsten WB, the properuse of tripod/long exposure, aperture for sunstars, dramatic compositional SETUPS, and a few other more involved things. this will need to be an advancedassignment for later =)

as a last note, i will be constantly updating my original post to reflect where in this thread the newest critiques and stage of judgment we are at. as of nowwe are on to the final stage of this thread, the final voting process.

again, THANK YOU ALL for your encouraging responses, i am truly glad that my critiques can help some of you out, if anyone ever has related questions - feelfree to PM me!

i have critiqued many, many photos in this thread (all of them, actually). as a result, i have found which ones are the best ones relative to your peers, andwhich ones could use some improvement to become great photos themselves. so the final judgment for assignment 1 will be by you guys, but the photos will bepicked by myself. i will pick mostly from the ones which have high overall scores (4 or higher). it was hard to cull them down to 7, but i selected them basedon how much adherence they have, relative to each other. i did not include quite a few that i liked, simply because i want as little number of photos in thefinal voting as possible.

THE THREE RULES OF JUDGMENT:

-you may vote for ONE of the photos i picked.
-state the NUMBER of the photograph that you picked, and reply to this thread.
-state a SENTENCE or two describing WHY you picked that photograph; this will help you grow as a critic and help you realize your own mistakes muchfaster.

photos are numbered, as in the post below.

invite all the NT'ers you know to come and vote, because the more votes the fairer it is!!!

1. (by SaNTi0321)
3475013295_775817afe4.jpg

2. (by JC412 )

3. by (tree4twenty)

4. (by Kickmatic23)
3210880243_14755817b1_b.jpg

5. (by J PayCheck)

6. (by victorjames)

7. (by phaze1123)
1c426823592bab4449b711143f498c13d8332ba4.pjpg

Vote: Photo number 1

It was hard decision for me between 1 and 4. I'm not an expert in photography just a recent enthusiast from the photography thread.
Reason I chose option 1:
1. It followed the assignment rules.
2. I really love the blacks.
3. I love the exposure.
4. The shapes that cover the entire photograph.

Vote: Photo number 1.

I think the contrast is on point.
He used something so simple but with a cool vantage point, so we can view it from a different perspective.
The framing is also good, i like how the circle is fully in there, no crops.

1. it has great composition and nailed the project of "shapes and patterns"

i would've went with 4, but i cant really say that there is a pattern. it was just cool looking capture

Scrolling through the chosen pictures the patterns and symmetry of number 6 just jumped out to me.
Sooo number 6 gets my vote.

Picture #6

I like that it made me think for a bit to figure out what it was.
I like the contrast and the line was even from one corner to the other.
Also like the angle of the shot made the blinds look like they were different sizes.

Pattern goes from edge to edge with no distractions besides the change in brick and a few white pebbles. Nicely done.

the whole lighting and exposure is wonderful.
the aperture is great showing detail throughout
the diagonal string going through the picture is great
overall i like the composition of the photograph as well as the monochrome colors

#6 by victorjames: I actually did the same shot for this assignment but you posted first haha. I like how it is shot at an angle, making the patten diagonallysymmetrical. The exposure of the small amount of light going through the blinds is perfect.

*Thanks for the feedback yama, didn't expect that good of a critique cause I barely got into photography in March with zero prior knowledge. I haven'teven upgraded from my 18-55 non-is kit lens SMH. But your feedback let's me know I'm heading in the right direction. thanks!

yamakazi18, thanks for all of your work. We are all busy, but if this is the kind of c&c we get it is worth the wait. I hope this thread can continue topick up and I hope I dont't miss the next assignment. I don't get out to shoot much so the extra time worked well for me.

If I am allowed a vote for myself, I would vote for #7. If not, pic #1 gets my vote. I like the angle of the shot and it is very true to the assignment ofshooting patterns.

I'm going to vote for pic 7.

Here's why:

1. The shot is amazing in itself
2. It exhibits contrast int he positive and negative spaces of the pic
3. The angle of the picture gives the subject depth and makes it appear 3-dimensional

Pic #7 is the best for me

(Not professional comments)

1. It looks cool
2. Idk how he took that pic so that makes it more interesting
3. And its just better than the other pics to me

Back
Top Bottom