Pickup basketball stereotypes.

I used to coach with a dude that moved back to France to coach and he said there are mandatory classes and content based assessments that have to be taken by anyone looking to be a certified coach.

So I think things can be done to ensure the right folks are in front of these children.

That sounds like a great idea but to implement that there has to be some type of compensation involved and the $ just isn't there for a vasty majority of places and if it does become required we will be in a situation where schools and locations with more resources to pay coaches will have them all and other places won't .A lot of people think every high school coaching raking in dough like Texas football coaches. No sir. That's the exception not the norm. If wanted to make extra bread I would not be coaching. For example.

This past season in the summer from June-July 2 a day practices 5 days a week. 6 hours in the gym each day except for the week of 4th of July.
One school started conditioning and practice each day after school from 4-8. Tuesday/Thurs we hit the track Mon/Wed we lifted. 6-8 practice each day after. We had Friday off. Saturday morning practice from 11-1. Sunday off.

Once the season started basically the same schedule but now we have games, no more track days, still lifting 3 times a week, in addition to film sessions. We did the math between practices, coaches meetings, games, etc we spent on average 20-25 hrs per week coaching or doing something coaching related and that was for the months of Jun-Feb. We start back up in 2 weeks after spring break.

Granted we're extreme and a lot of schools don't do half of what we do but still at what level would you make "coaching" classes required?

My girls play travel/AAU volleyball and majority of coaches are actually teachers, but it doesn’t always reflect in their behavior/understanding of working with young kids
Mine just got through club and off to college. There are definitely some “glory” coaches out there living in the past.

Coaches are under qualified , under paid, over worked, and have a huge influence on your kids overall experience.
Meanwhile parents are paying like 5k to 8k a year for their kid to be in the program. Keeping up with the Jones’s.
Taking up all family time. Practices 3 days a week, tournaments on weekends, travel/hotel/meals/even have to pay to watch your kids games lol.
Paying extra for private lessons hoping to get more playing time. All the expensive gear etc.

All that for some wack ahh coach. Some 24 yr old teacher with no kids and no respect or understanding of what the families sacrifice for it all

Coaches are under qualified , under paid, over worked, and have a huge influence on your kids overall experience.
Meanwhile parents are paying like 5k to 8k a year for their kid to be in the program. Keeping up with the Jones’s.
Taking up all family time. Practices 3 days a week, tournaments on weekends, travel/hotel/meals/even have to pay to watch your kids games lol.
Paying extra for private lessons hoping to get more playing time. All the expensive gear etc.

All that for some wack ahh coach. Some 24 yr old teacher with no kids and no respect or understanding of what the families sacrifice for it all

If we're talking purely hoops I'm a huge AAU hater. But it's basically a requirement because kids do not go outside and hoop anymore. Pickup games and open runs against "quality" keyword "quality" competition is hard to come by.

Also parents need to be realistic on their kids true ceiling as an athlete. This is another one of my issues with AAU is how much it costs and unfortunately when people are paying for something they expect a return and in something like athletics that return can't always be guaranteed. On top of that the best players on the team aren't paying to play and if they are it's minimal. At the end of the day If your kid is 5'8, 16 years old and barely cracking the rotation for his high school team going d1 is tough. Also with NIL and the transfer portal changes it's even tougher now for kids to get scholarships right out of high school.

College coaches want to win games, why take a flyer on a freshman that you don't know how he is going to pan out vs a grad transfer who already knows how to be a student athlete?

🤣🤣🤣 the beginning of the vid they address the form almost interrogation style 😂 they still roast him too tho 😂

can’t hit the link to get the particulars straight from him? he basically says he doesn’t shoot like that & hadn’t hooped in years, was shooting w/a woman’s basketball; the unfamiliarity from not hooping plus the women’s basketball threw off his feel, claimed to had hit a few in a row which was the reason his homie started to record but the airball was an even better result 🤣

The old women's basketball that always throws off the real hoopers.

Reminds me of the video of the news guy who clearly couldn't ball getting torched by Diana Taurasi, complaining about the ball so then she torches him with a men's.

Looks clean to me but I'm just basing it off the video since I'm not familiar with the context of the scenario

what was dirty about it?

I play with a guy that does boxouts like that. To me you're supposed to make contact with the body, THEN use your lower body to clear them out. But some guys go as fast as they can throwing their bodies into you from whatever angle and in the caruso/gobert play because of the height difference it's slamming into the side of gobert's knee. I've never seen Caruso do dirty stuff so I think it's just a poor attempt at a boxout because he knew he was fighting an uphill battle with the height differential.

I don't like it.

Yea Caruso throws his *** straight into goobers knees, I can’t see how it’s not dirty and intentional

It’s dirty by itself but you can also see the buzzer lights go off on the far backboard making it even more dirty. You can see any other player is walking up the court when he does it

I play with a guy that does boxouts like that. To me you're supposed to make contact with the body, THEN use your lower body to clear them out. But some guys go as fast as they can throwing their bodies into you from whatever angle and in the caruso/gobert play because of the height difference it's slamming into the side of gobert's knee. I've never seen Caruso do dirty stuff so I think it's just a poor attempt at a boxout because he knew he was fighting an uphill battle with the height differential.

I don't like it.

Just watched it sum more and paused it a few times to analyze it more closely

Caruso was def a bit reckless in the boxout but how would you guys have done it if you were in his position? It seems like it was a combo of Caruso recklessness and gobert not expecting to get boxed out that caused the awkwardness of the exchange

That definitely was not a queen box out 100% a foul but it was not a dirty play.

There is a difference between clean, recklessness and dirty. That was a reckless play. To reply to WASHED KING WASHED KING and friscostylez friscostylez directly, no, you cannot box out standing straight up but you’re supposed to slide your foot in front and feel were the players that and then move them with your lower half. It looks that way because somebody was taller, but it would’ve looked worse if it was somebody his own size because you don’t just go throwing your body into somebody like that. That is not proper box out technique at all.

Part of the issue is the play was dead which is why everyone on the court including Gobert let their guard down. Then AC throws his butt into Goberts legs. It’s possible that if the buzzer didn’t go off and rebound was live, Gobert would’ve anticipated the low blow and prepared accordingly. But that play exactly how it was, if a live ball, I still view as dirty, and potentially serious injury waiting to happen

For the record when I say it was dirty, I’m not saying it was a foul, but it was dirty and AD woulda been out for the season lol

Back
Top Bottom