Planning a Trip to Los Angeles

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Real talk, how bad is the traffic really? I'm prob gonna be moving out there in a year or so and wanna know how true the misery really is.

Stay away from freeways on Weekdays around the 8am-10am & 4pm - 6pm rush.    
Other than that, it's not as bad as it seems. 

And OP, rent a car, don't rely on public transportation, you'll get to where you need to be a lot sooner. 

Unless you're just chillin' in a beach neighborhood, you'll need a car. You can't get anywhere, and I won't even say efficiently. You'll be sitting on a bus all day to get anywhere.

Unless you're just chillin' in a beach neighborhood, you'll need a car. You can't get anywhere, and I won't even say efficiently. You'll be sitting on a bus all day to get anywhere.

Real talk, how bad is the traffic really? I'm prob gonna be moving out there in a year or so and wanna know how true the misery really is.
Traffic is relative to where you work.  Some sit in traffic for 1-2 hours each and every day....
sick.gif
sick.gif

#notaboutthatlife

I have a decent commute, about 20 minutes with minor traffic here and there.  I know side streets really well and know when to avoid the freeway.  Sometimes though, you don't have a choice.  Work may be 10-15 miles away, but that is a very far 10-15 miles.

Traffic is relative to where you work.  Some sit in traffic for 1-2 hours each and every day....
sick.gif
sick.gif

#notaboutthatlife

I have a decent commute, about 20 minutes with minor traffic here and there.  I know side streets really well and know when to avoid the freeway.  Sometimes though, you don't have a choice.  Work may be 10-15 miles away, but that is a very far 10-15 miles.

Yeah, knowing side streets is key, but that doesn't help on long drives. Only helps over short distances.

Yeah, knowing side streets is key, but that doesn't help on long drives. Only helps over short distances.

i just got back from a vacation there myself, so i'll throw in my 2 cents in respect to an outsider...

Rent a car without a doubt...it'll cost a bit, but it will pay off by having access to all areas of the city and surrounding areas.

As far as where to stay, we stayed downtown...which I know has kind of a bad rap, but it was definitely pretty good for its purpose...we didn't intend on spending much time where we stayed and didn't...we stayed at a hostel for $34 a night...3 people/2 twin beds...ended up being around $12 a night per person...plus $7 parking a day as well. For its purpose, it got the job done...if you're looking for a nicer place (an actual hotel), you may try the hollywood area i suppose, since there's so much tourist stuff to do around there.

Like I said though, staying downtown was a pretty good location because it was located within about 20-25 minutes of anything we wanted to do...we did Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills, UCLA, South Central, Staples Center. We also went to Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach, which is a little bit further of a drive, but still not too far.

As far as timing, I'd say your best bet is to stay out later (1:00-2:00 am) assuming you're with friends, and sleeping in til like 8:30 am or so, then getting ready for the day...that way, by the time you're ready to set out for the day, it will be around 10:00 am and the traffic will have settled a bit.

i just got back from a vacation there myself, so i'll throw in my 2 cents in respect to an outsider...

Rent a car without a doubt...it'll cost a bit, but it will pay off by having access to all areas of the city and surrounding areas.

As far as where to stay, we stayed downtown...which I know has kind of a bad rap, but it was definitely pretty good for its purpose...we didn't intend on spending much time where we stayed and didn't...we stayed at a hostel for $34 a night...3 people/2 twin beds...ended up being around $12 a night per person...plus $7 parking a day as well. For its purpose, it got the job done...if you're looking for a nicer place (an actual hotel), you may try the hollywood area i suppose, since there's so much tourist stuff to do around there.

Like I said though, staying downtown was a pretty good location because it was located within about 20-25 minutes of anything we wanted to do...we did Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills, UCLA, South Central, Staples Center. We also went to Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach, which is a little bit further of a drive, but still not too far.

As far as timing, I'd say your best bet is to stay out later (1:00-2:00 am) assuming you're with friends, and sleeping in til like 8:30 am or so, then getting ready for the day...that way, by the time you're ready to set out for the day, it will be around 10:00 am and the traffic will have settled a bit.

just a heads up... traffic is worse then you can expect. even when reading all these bashes on the traffic. it is bad

just a heads up... traffic is worse then you can expect. even when reading all these bashes on the traffic. it is bad

RENT A CAR. But ya if you think youve been stuck in traffic, think again. LA is the worst when it comes to bad drivers. Plan on being ran off the road if you arnt doing 20 over the speed limit.

RENT A CAR. But ya if you think youve been stuck in traffic, think again. LA is the worst when it comes to bad drivers. Plan on being ran off the road if you arnt doing 20 over the speed limit.

Back
Top Bottom