Please lock.

This isn't a fight that Cotto won against a prime-Sergio. Cotto was absolutely superb, and he deserves all the praise in the world, but Sergio was a broken fighter. He wasn't so badly hurt the entire fight that it's why the fight was stopped, but he was just not mobile out there.

He looked like an old fighter, as he has the last few fights.

For what it's worth, that last knock-down was NOT a knockdown. Knee buckled, but he didn't hit the canvas. Knee nor glove hit the ground.

If Cotto is going to continue at 160, I worry for the guy. There are a lot of big middleweights out there that he would have a nightmare of a time with.

Imagine how difficult it would be against a guy like GGG; punching power, granite chin, and skilled boxer.

Wait so this is on Sergio's knees? **** outta here. 1st left hook in the 1st round dropped Sergio. That wasn't knees that was skills. Like I said . Miguel is the best fighter and ha the most boxing skill Sergio has ever fought. Miguel beat his *** off rip.

That was world class ****

Wait so this is on Sergio's knees? **** outta here. 1st left hook in the 1st round dropped Sergio. That wasn't knees that was skills. Like I said . Miguel is the best fighter and ha the most boxing skill Sergio has ever fought. Miguel beat his *** off rip.

No doubt, but Sergio was not 100%. His mobility was ****.

People are giving conflicting reports, I need to watch this damn fight.

Some say yes he looked old and his knees looked bad, others say he was just outclassed.

I never would have thought Cotto's power would carry so well into middleweight either too. Damn good stuff from Cotto tonight

Of course he looked bad, he got knocked down 3 times in 1st round. He got rocked and had no answer for Miguel's superior left hook. Sergio just said he never recovered from the hooks in the 1st

Yes, his knees were done. Maravilla always relied on his mobility and speed. He had neither tonight. Maravilla couldn't run around like his usual self. Props to cotto for feasting, but you can't compare this martinez to the martinez of a couple years back

if we saw the martinez from at least the chavez jr fight, the very least, then it would of been a fight

if we saw the martinez from at least the chavez jr fight, the very least, then it would of been a fight

you mean the fight where he fought a moving punching bag for 11 rds?

props to cotto, a true welterweight stepping it up and becoming the middleweight champion of the world. nyc is gon be crazy

Martinez definitely has bad knees, doesn't take too much away from cotto though. cotto was amazing tonight and I can't wait to see what happens this fall

Sergio looked old in there tonight.  Obviously Miguel fought an excellent fight, and you can't take that away from him, but like it has previously been stated, Sergio's knees were shot.

I think if you look at it this way, then you can't really deny how the night went down.

After the first round, did it look like Sergio Martinez out there? He wasn't sharp. He wasn't quick. Just watching his movement, he just didn't seem natural out there.

And at the same time? Cotto had excellent position in every round, had excellent combinations, and defended well enough against a hobbled Sergio.

I don't think a Sergio Martinez of about five years ago would've been shut out like this.

Sergio had no boxing skills to fall back on. He was a late starter who relied on only his hand speed. The minute he started aging, he was done for.
Guys like JMM, Floyd, cotto, Pac, who've been fighting they're whole lives and have a solid boxing base and knowledge can fight try old age.

You all had to have seen this comig from his last few fights . He has no defense other than speed. He isn't a combination nor a counter puncher. Knees had nothing to do with him never keeping his right hand up near his chin to stop that left for landing.

Last edited:
Canelo vs Cotto
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom