Police Brutality Discussion & Solutions...

What are your thoughts on the Punisher symbol being co-opted by police or the military?

I've talked about this in other interviews. To me, it's disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the Justice system. He's supposed to indict the collapse of social moral authority and the reality some people can't depend on institutions like the police or the military to act in a just and capable way.

The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice sysytem, an eample of social failure, so when cops put Punisher skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher skull patches, they're basically sides with an enemy of the system. They are embracing an outlaw mentality. Whether you think the Punisher is justified or not, whether you admire his code of ethics, he is an outlaw. He is a criminal. Police should not be embracing a criminal as their symbol.

It goes without saying. In a way, it's as offensive as putting a Confederate flag on a government building. My point of view is, the Punisher is an anti-hero, someone we might root for while remembering he's also an outlaw and criminal. If an officer of the law, representing the justice system puts a criminal's symbol on his police car, or shares challenge coins honoring a criminal he or she is making a very ill-advised statement about their understanding of the law.

Before we can start talking about solutions we have to come to grips with the FACT the entire concept of a police force and or certain groups of individuals having any type of authority over other groups of individuals is a moral fallacy and always will be. If black people are still thinking it’s ok to trust or call police on any level we’re screwed and nothing will change.

Before we can start talking about solutions we have to come to grips with the FACT the entire concept of a police force and or certain groups of individuals having any type of authority over other groups of individuals is a moral fallacy and always will be. If black people are still thinking it’s ok to trust or call police on any level we’re screwed and nothing will change.

One question nobody seems to be able to answer though is what DO you do when crime is prevalent but you can't trust the police? We all know there are people out here who'd rob their own family at gunpoint. If somebody breaks into my car, what do I do? Try to track em down and beat their ***?

I'm personally conflicted, because I despise the police, but I can't act like there aren't trash people out here who don't give a **** and make society worse for the rest of us every day.

One question nobody seems to be able to answer though is what DO you do when crime is prevalent but you can't trust the police? We all know there are people out here who'd rob their own family at gunpoint. If somebody breaks into my car, what do I do? Try to track em down and beat their ***?

I'm personally conflicted, because I despise the police, but I can't act like there aren't trash people out here who don't give a **** and make society worse for the rest of us every day.

The answer to this question is it’s ultimately your responsibility to protect yourself and your family and not the police. Obviously we live in a society where police exist and I’m gonna go ahead and say that won’t change in our lifetime. That being said, if it makes sense I’d advocate calling them under certain circumstances. Me personally, I’m a gonna hold mine down and deal with the repercussions. I’m never calling police. But I’m sure there are examples of situations where I would totally understand if someone else did. But we do have to start the solution by acknowledging that they are literally an evil terrorist group of uneducated thugs and left brained sociopaths. Narcissistic low vibration animals. Truly the worst mankind has to offer. Once we establish these facts we can start taking them off that pedestal and removing their privileges and ability to stalk and murder innocent people with no repercussions whatsoever. But undoing centuries of white supremacy is not likely. So **** police for life there’s no Hope honestly.

Nothing built on such a foundation can ever stand for anything good...because it was never intended to be:

Policing in Colonial America had been very informal, based on a for-profit, privately funded system that employed people part-time. Towns also commonly relied on a “night watch” in which volunteers signed up for a certain day and time, mostly to look out for fellow colonists engaging in prostitution or gambling. (Boston started one in 1636, New York followed in 1658 and Philadelphia created one in 1700.) But that system wasn’t very efficient because the watchmen often slept and drank while on duty, and there were people who were put on watch duty as a form of punishment.

Night-watch officers were supervised by constables, but that wasn’t exactly a highly sought-after job, either. Early policemen “didn’t want to wear badges because these guys had bad reputations to begin with, and they didn’t want to be identified as people that other people didn’t like,” says Potter. When localities tried compulsory service, “if you were rich enough, you paid someone to do it for you — ironically, a criminal or a community thug.”

As the nation grew, however, different regions made use of different policing systems.

In cities, increasing urbanization rendered the night-watch system completely useless as communities got too big. The first publicly funded, organized police force with officers on duty full-time was created in Boston in 1838. Boston was a large shipping commercial center, and businesses had been hiring people to protect their property and safeguard the transport of goods from the port of Boston to other places, says Potter. These merchants came up with a way to save money by transferring to the cost of maintaining a police force to citizens by arguing that it was for the “collective good.”

In the South, however, the economics that drove the creation of police forces were centered not on the protection of shipping interests but on the preservation of the slavery system.
Some of the primary policing institutions there were the slave patrols tasked with chasing down runaways and preventing slave revolts, Potter says; the first formal slave patrol had been created in the Carolina colonies in 1704. During the Civil War, the military became the primary form of law enforcement in the South, but during Reconstruction, many local sheriffs functioned in a way analogous to the earlier slave patrols, enforcing segregation and the disenfranchisement of freed slaves.

Back
Top Bottom