Post Professional Athletes Pre-game Routines/Superstitions

The only ones I could think of off the top of my head were:

Wade Boggs eating a chicken breast before every game.
Caron Butler drinking a 2 liter of Mountain Dew before each game.
Darryl Armstrong drinking coffee at halftime

VC-

20051028NBANewJerseyNetsVinceCarter.jpg

Its a tribute to his grandmother.

Pregame Superstitions
  • Gilbert Arenas always eats a meal from Boston Market
  • Drives in the same lane before games
  • Parks his car in the same spot
  • Listens to the same music in the same order (Lil' John last)
  • Tickles Antawn Jamison's armpit before the opening tip-off when the team huddles up
  • Gets dressed in the same meticulous order (jersey first)
  • Takes a half-court shot before he is ready to play
  • Sticks with only one basketball during the shoot-around
During Games
  • Changes his sneakers if he did bad during the first half
  • When shooting free throws, Arenas spins the ball around his waist and dribbles the ball three times before shooting to help him be more relaxed at the foul line
  • Took a shower during halftime against San Antonio - in his uniform and sneakers - and then scored 24 points in the second half (Arenas claims he just put his head in water but got his uniform wet)
  • During halftime of Washington Wizards games Gilbert Arenas sits at his locker and plays video poker.
  • Gilbert tosses his No. 0 jersey into the stands after every game, home and away
  • Before launching a shot, he'll yell out "Hibachi!" which is a reference to a small cooking stove usually heated by charcoal.

Doesn't Monta Ellis dip both of his hands in hot wax before each game? Can someone tell me what this does?

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Pregame Superstitions
  • Gilbert Arenas always eats a meal from Boston Market
  • Drives in the same lane before games
  • Parks his car in the same spot
  • Listens to the same music in the same order (Lil' John last)
  • Tickles Antawn Jamison's armpit before the opening tip-off when the team huddles up
  • Gets dressed in the same meticulous order (jersey first)
  • Takes a half-court shot before he is ready to play
  • Sticks with only one basketball during the shoot-around
During Games
  • Changes his sneakers if he did bad during the first half
  • When shooting free throws, Arenas spins the ball around his waist and dribbles the ball three times before shooting to help him be more relaxed at the foul line
  • Took a shower during halftime against San Antonio - in his uniform and sneakers - and then scored 24 points in the second half (Arenas claims he just put his head in water but got his uniform wet)
  • During halftime of Washington Wizards games Gilbert Arenas sits at his locker and plays video poker.
  • Gilbert tosses his No. 0 jersey into the stands after every game, home and away
  • Before launching a shot, he'll yell out "Hibachi!" which is a reference to a small cooking stove usually heated by charcoal.

thats OD

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

Doesn't Monta Ellis dip both of his hands in hot wax before each game? Can someone tell me what this does?

Relaxes the muscles/joints in his hands.

Wendell is probably best known for his baseball-related eccentricities, which included:

• Wendell insisted that the umpire roll the ball to the mound rather than simply throw it to him (If an umpire would ignorantly throw the ball to him, Wendell was known to let it go past him, or even to let it bounce off his chest, after which he would retrieve it from the ground).
  • Whenever he began a new inning, Wendell would turn and wave to the center fielder and wait for him to wave back before proceeding.
  • At the beginning of each inning, Wendell would reportedly draw three crosses in the pitcher's mound dirt.
  • Whenever his catcher stood, Wendell would crouch down.
  • When entering or leaving the field, Wendell would always take a tremendous leap over the baseline.
  • Wendell would chew black licorice (an alternative to the chewing tobacco used by many players).
  • Wendell often brushed his teeth between innings (some claim that he brushed between every inning). While brushing, he often hid in the dugout, either by ducking behind objects or by facing the wall.
  • Wendell forcefully slammed his rosin bag onto the pitcher's mound between outs.
  • Wendell wore a necklace made from the claws and teeth of various animals he had hunted and killed.
  • While in the minor leagues, rumor was that he drank only orange juice (no food or any other drink) on days he pitched. But he also claimed to drink four cups of coffee before each start.
  • Wendell sometimes threw his glove into the stands when leaving a game.

Baseball players have some of the best.

Griffey:

-always steps into the batters box with his right foot first and won't step in until both the catcher and ump is ready.

-if someone touches his game bat, he gets rid of it.

-if someone puts their hand in his glove, he gets a new glove.

-if he drives a car to the park and goes hitless two games in a row, he gets rid of the car.

-when in the outfield, if our pitcher throws a strike, he won't move until the next pitch is thrown.

-he said one time when in Seattle, Jay Buhner was real hot for a few games and Junior was slumping. Griffey went to Buhner's house around midnight, wokeBuhner up and put his bat in Buhner's bed right between Jay and his wife and told him that they had to sleep while it was there.

Wade Boggs:

-took exactly 150 ground balls in practice, took batting practice at 5:17 and ran sprints at 7:17. His route to and from his position in the field beat a pathto the home dugout, and he drew the Hebrew word "חי-Chai" (meaning "life") in the batter's box before each at-bat (Boggs is notJewish). He always ended his pregame infield practice by stepping, in order, on the third-, second- and first-base bags, stepping on the baseline, taking twosteps in the coach's box and trotting to the dugout in exactly four steps.

Larry Walker:

-is obsessed with the number "3." He sets his alarm for 33 minutes past the hour, takes practice swings in multiples of three, wears No. 33, wasmarried on Nov. 3 at 3:33 p.m., and bought tickets for 33 disadvantaged kids when he played in Montreal, to be seated in Section 333 at Olympic Stadium. Hislast contract his current contract included a joint $3,333,333 donation to children's organizations in British Columbia and Colorado. Finally he has 3kids.

Turk Wendell:

-chewed four pieces of black licorice when he pitched, spit them out after each inning, brushed his teeth in the dugout, and leaped (not stepped) over thebaseline (described as a "kangaroo hop"). When he was on the mound, Wendell stood if the catcher was squatting, and squatted if the catcher wasstanding.

2ihuqab.jpg

Finally the best one comes from a little known player named Kevin Rhomberg who appeared in a grand total of 41 games for the Cleveland Indians, from 1982-84. His superstition can basically be called a compulsion. There's no other way to describe it.

His superstition was the need to touch back someone who had just touched him. Like tag during recess in grade school. However doing it when you're an adult makes you strange. The need to touch someone back was so necessary that if a person somehow eluded his return touch, Rhomberg would send a letter that said, "This constitutes a touch."

Of course this gets ball players thinking about how they can have some fun at his expense.

Rick Sutcliffe once reached under a bathroom stall to touch Rhomberg on the toe. Not knowing who did it, Rhomberg went around the clubhouse and touched each player. Brook Jacoby once told of tagging Rhomberg with a ball in the minors, then throwing it out of the stadium. Jacoby said that Rhomberg spent two hours looking for the ball before finding it. An umpire once halted play during a game in New York to tell Yankees players to stop touching Rhomberg.

Carl Yastrzemski wore the same pair of stirrups for 6 years.

Outfielder Wily Mo Peña has the wackiest. In the on-deck circle, he sniffs the pine tar on the handle of his black, 35-inch model C43 Louisville Slugger. He starts at the handle and slowly moves toward the barrel. When he gets near the meat of the bat, he opens his mouth and grips the bat as if he's being fitted for a mouthpiece.

"I bite it with my teeth and give it a kiss," he says.

Now he's ready to hit.

"The umpire says, 'What the hell are you doing?' Everybody goes, 'Why did you do that?' And I don't know. It's just something I always do. I don't really taste it. I just give it a little grip with my teeth."

Does it help him with his hitting or his tape-measure homers?

"I don't know," he says. "I could always hit."

He also uses different color batting gloves on each hand when he's on the road, and black and white at home. "I just try to do something different," he says.

Jason Varitek puts a baseball in his catcher's mitt and ties it tight, even if the trip is from the clubhouse to the dugout.
Nomar's got all kinds of superstitions as well.

there's a book on all this crap:

518B593YG5L._SS500_.jpg

doesnt jason terry wear his jersey to sleep or was it his opponents jersey before a big game

Originally Posted by luigi202

Kobe has the best ones EASILY:

Puts on his socks BEFORE his sneakers
Always wears purple and gold uniform to away games
Drinks gatorade ONLY with his mouth
Known to shoot right-handed during shootaround
indifferent.gif

Try again

Originally Posted by luigi202

Kobe has the best ones EASILY:

Puts on his socks BEFORE his sneakers
Always wears purple and gold uniform to away games
Drinks gatorade ONLY with his mouth
Known to shoot right-handed during shootaround

eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
get out of here.. the thread was interesting till i got to read this ..

i think garnett ties his shorts under the basket and says a prayer? or talks to malik sealy. its something like that if im not mistaken.

Originally Posted by dfresh244

The only ones I could think of off the top of my head were:

Wade Boggs eating a chicken breast before every game.
Caron Butler drinking a 2 liter of Mountain Dew before each game.
Darryl Armstrong drinking coffee at halftime

I believe it was during halftime with Caron Butler drinking Mountain Dew, but I'm probably wrong.

Back
Top Bottom