Post Your Bikes...

My ride...

309815695.jpg

NY to SD

kdwallace wrote:
What advantage does that offer?

Light, reliable (fewer moving parts), efficient, good for pedalling style and leg strength...
I see....

It seems like that would be a good set-up if you live somewhere flat. I guess if you encounter a hill you just have to get off the saddle and go at it likeyou're on a BMX bike, huh? Do a lot of people use this type of set-up? I'm guessing it is cheaper to maintain since there is no derailleur system orshifters.

I don't think I would like not being able to stop pedaling. Going down a big hill must get fairly interesting. There is one on one of my routes where I canhit 36-38 m.p.h.. I can't imagine pumping my pedals that fast! Plus, that is in my top gear and there is no way I would use that as my only gear because itis way too stiff for taking off and climbing.

Yeah, hills are tough - although for shallower longer hills it is actually very efficient. Steep stuff is hard though - either going up or going down dependingon your gearing.

I run about 70" gearing which is fairly average but I spin out at about 32mph - that's something like 160rpm and it gets tough to pedal at that. Itcruises along nicely at 25 though - a much more reasonable rpm.

i see how a fixed gear can be cheap. but most people aren't gonna wanna build one up with crappy parts and a super old heavy frame. i got parts coming infor mine i'll post pics when it's built.

Originally Posted by kdwallace

Yeah, hills are tough - although for shallower longer hills it is actually very efficient. Steep stuff is hard though - either going up or going down depending on your gearing.

I run about 70" gearing which is fairly average but I spin out at about 32mph - that's something like 160rpm and it gets tough to pedal at that. It cruises along nicely at 25 though - a much more reasonable rpm.

Very interesting! Now I'm going to be looking at every bike on the road to see if anyone around here is riding one of these.

crap picture: 720tr, sugino165 rd 48, mks sylvans, eai 18, tranz os bullhorn 40 or 42, deepv's, thomson, bontrager race, fsa headset, reynolds ouzo comppro, winwood stem.....
priceless sticker job. better pictures soon

I changed my bars,stem, brake, toe clips and crankset from my last pic so I figured I'd post it. I also have a Brooks saddle and Sugino seatpost on theway. BTW I run a front brake for emergency purposes. Donjuan that Bridgestone is crazy but please don't tell me you ride that on the street.

2chs0up.jpg

Originally Posted by Chest Rockwel

I changed my bars,stem, brake, toe clips and crankset from my last pic so I figured I'd post it. I also have a Brooks saddle and Sugino seatpost on the way. BTW I run a front brake for emergency purposes. Donjuan that Bridgestone is crazy but please don't tell me you ride that on the street.

2chs0up.jpg

I know Aerospoke wheels are a little heavy, how it feel riding with the velocity wheel on the rear?

Anyone know how much a used Cannondale Optimo R3000/CAAD7 frameset should cost?
I'll post pics later on, but the frame looks like it's in decent condition.

hey guys where can you paint your bikes at i have a mongoose and im buying a bianchi i wanna change the paint job and do the rims where can i do this at?

^If you dont mind the color, you can hit up auto body shops at the end of the day and have them spray whats left in their cans on your frame for like 50 bucks.You wont have much choice, but its a great paint job for cheap. Sand and clear it yourself and youre good to go!

paint that joint yourself. Raw it (strip off the paint and sandpaper it). Than hit it with some spraypaint primer. Let ir dry and paint a few layers ofwhatever color spraypaint you want. Let it dry between layers. And than some clear coat on top if you don't want it to chip super easy. Should cost under20 bucks.

good mixture of bikes....thought I was going to see a bunch of hipster cycles

to dude who was asking why he should get fixed gear bike...if you plan on going long distances on your bike then I wouldnt suggest it. Alot of people you seeriding fixed gear bike are doing it for show, and dont really use their bike all day long, or for all season commutes (not to say that alot dont)...but fixedgear doesnt offer that many advanages. Its a fun ride, but its not practical. So alot of the riding you see is for show.

guys im gonna try that myself the rims should be easy to do and yea it should cost less than 20 bucks im very excited but i hate putting my bike back together =\ but when i do this ill post picks of the new color thanks capo and ouch my feet

Here's one of my bikes. Any idea how much it's worth? I'll post the others soon.

I believe I got it in 1997 but not sure. Everything is still all original.

to dude who was asking why he should get fixed gear bike...if you plan on going long distances on your bike then I wouldnt suggest it. Alot of people you see riding fixed gear bike are doing it for show, and dont really use their bike all day long, or for all season commutes (not to say that alot dont)...but fixed gear doesnt offer that many advanages. Its a fun ride, but its not practical. So alot of the riding you see is for show.

A fixed gear is the perfect winter commuter - there's far less to go wrong and get all clogged up in the salt and stuff. I commuted almost every day lastyear on mine.

Did 27 miles along the coast last night too. Paying for it a bit this morning though.

^^^ Yeah fixies are great for the winter even where it only rains, and they're also good for commuting, especially in the city or a college town. I knowwhat that other dude meant about them being a fashion statement though. I've decided not to convert my ten speed because I just don't want the stareshaha.

And to the dude with the Bridgestone: Do you do like serious velodrome races? That bike is serious!

Originally Posted by kdwallace

to dude who was asking why he should get fixed gear bike...if you plan on going long distances on your bike then I wouldnt suggest it. Alot of people you see riding fixed gear bike are doing it for show, and dont really use their bike all day long, or for all season commutes (not to say that alot dont)...but fixed gear doesnt offer that many advanages. Its a fun ride, but its not practical. So alot of the riding you see is for show.

A fixed gear is the perfect winter commuter - there's far less to go wrong and get all clogged up in the salt and stuff. I commuted almost every day last year on mine.

Did 27 miles along the coast last night too. Paying for it a bit this morning though.

then the person could just ride single speed...fixed isnt important

then the person could just ride single speed...fixed isnt important

But the point about a fixed being the most minimal is still valid - a freewheel is a complicated thing and doesn't take salty roads nearly as well as afixed cog.

Back
Top Bottom