***Post Your Desktop / Guide To A Great Desktop***

Creating a Pin-Up Picture Wallpaper.
(If you need any clarification or help, please ask)
Alright. All it takes is Photoshop, a little skill, and a lot of patience. This is lengthy, so bear with me. Pics as we go. Notes are inserted underneath thepictures. Important parts are highlighted red.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)](I wont go over the picture tilting, I'm sure someone else can go over this aspect[/color]
nerd.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]If not I'll figure it out sometime soon and throw in a Part 3)[/color]

Here is what we will be working towards after everything is said and done:
Spoiler [+]
2cpuq7t.jpg

PART 1 - The Basics (creating a simple wallpaper with Photoshop)

[color= rgb(0, 0, 153)]Lets begin ---[/color]
Find whatever picture you want. Make sure you get a big picture so that you dont stretch the pixels for your mainpic.
Find the background you want. Whether you want a wood panel background or a tack-board like that one up there. Google or Deviantart are good sources.

Here's the corkboard background (1280x800)
Spoiler [+]
23r0fgk.jpg

Open Photoshop and then open the picture and the background. These should be open in separate windows. I would recommend opening the picture twice, just so youhave a copy incase you resize one or to just *%** around with it. (I do this by opening the pic, going into my folder andrenaming the pic by adding a '1' after the title or something, then opening that)
What it should look like:
Spoiler [+]
qxwkl2.jpg
  • You can see the 3 tabs open in Photoshop. The first is the corkboard, the other 2 are a picture of Rashida Jones, my background subject for this project.

If you want a white border I found it's easiest to just expand the canvas size on the OG copy. Just expand eachside by X, with X being equal in both width and height. (Increase width by 10 pixes, you increase height by 10 pixels)
Update:
Spoiler [+]
2lxctvd.jpg
  • I arranged the workspace view to look like this so you can see where everything stands at this point. You can do this with the button in the top right corner, second to last (highlighted with the red arrow). This is the only time I'll use this view, any other time and it would make everything too small.

Make sure the picture is sized up to what you want. You can work this out by pasting the OG pic on the background and deciding if it looks good that big ornot. Just play with the resize feature if you need to on one of the copies of the stock pic.
Update:
Spoiler [+]
fjf7yh.jpg
  • Looks good to me, lets move on.

To add the next picture, just resize the one with the border. Lets chop it down from 420 pixels high to 210, thencopy and paste it onto our corkboard. Twice, actually.
Update:
Spoiler [+]
15qx4hv.jpg
  • Looks like we're getting close to the finished product. One thing to note is the LAYERS, located in the bottom right of the program. This determines what layer (or picture) goes on top of what. The layer on the top of the list will be the layer on top of everything else on the workspace. To change the order, just drag them up or down in the LAYERS box. In this case it doesnt matter, I have no overlapping pictures.

From here we are going to go back into the picture with a border, and resize it again. I'm shrinking it by 1/3, from 210 pixels high to 140. Thencopy/paste like the previous step, only 3 times now.
Update:
Spoiler [+]
2n4rc7.jpg

• And finished with this project. I like it, so I think I'll keep it instead of trashing it like I do so many potential backgrounds
    pimp.gif

Voila, here's the background if you want it
wink.gif
It's 1366x768 incase you want to cut it down to your resolution. It might not be centered perfectly, but whatever.
Spoiler [+]
5fi7h3.jpg

PART 2 - Small Details Through Additions & Effects

[color= rgb(0, 0, 204)]TO ADD SHADOWS TO THE PICTURES[/color] (Wont be added to the final product of this project)
We do this by going to the Blending Options, which you get to by right-clickingthe layer you want to add a shadow to.
Choose the opacity you want for the shadow, the lower % the lighter it is.
Choose the angle you want for the shadow. You want the angles for every picture to be the same.
Choose the distance (this is what makes the picture look far from the board, or close)
Choose the spread (how far the shadow spreads out from the picture. This comes into play when you increase the size)
Choose the size (this determines how big the shadow is)

[color= rgb(0, 0, 204)]TO ADD THUMBTACKS/TAPE/ect.[/color] just find stock images. I used Deviantart to find mine. (Search 'scotch tape')

From this point we are adding tape (thumbtacks are detailed at theend). First you open the image just like any other in Photoshop.
After this we're going to resize the tape to whatever size we need. After a couple tests of (copy/paste -> delete -> resize) and repeat, we'regoing to go with 50 pixels width.

Following the resize, we're going to use the Magic Wand tool to select the tape and paste it without the blank white canvas surrounding it. This tool ishandy for choosing small parts of pictures, or a whole picture if it's small like this, but without the blank white canvas area. After selecting, paste thetape onto the final product. Move it around until it's in the position you want. Tape is highlighted by the red arrow.

Update:
Spoiler [+]
2rro13t.jpg

1127a75.jpg
  • You can see the path to the Magic Wand here in the 1st picture. The other tool is the Quick Selection tool, another handy tool but one that wont come into play right now.
  • This is also where layers come into play. You want to make sure the tape layer, in my case Layer 7, is on top of all others to give it the look like it's holding the picture in place. Without this done right, the whole picture will be a waste of time.
Okay, now we're going to make the tape look like tape. Right-click the layer your tape is and go toBlending Options. From here go straight to the 'opacity' option on the main window. Set that to 50%, as seen in the pic below. After that, go to'Color Overlay' and set the color to white. You want to set the opacity of this to 50% as well. These are outlined by the red boxes.
Update:
Spoiler [+]
aca9uf.jpg

• As you can see, the tape is now 'clear.' Lets move on.

At this point, we're going to flip, rotate, copy, paste, and repeat with the tape. Let's go ahead and flip the tape horizontally, so we can paste it upon the opposite side of our first tape layer on our main work.
Image -> Image Rotation -> Flip Canvas Horizontal.
This flips the image into a mirror image. Just take the Magic Wand, select the tape, and repeat the process in the previous steps to put the tape onto theRashida collage and make the tape clear.

Update:
You should have this:
Spoiler [+]
k3adea.jpg

• You can see the tape now, mirror image of the previous tape pasted. If you want to rotate it so it's not a mirror, just go into the 'Image Rotation' option after you flip it, and choose 'Arbitrary' and rotate it like 5 degrees max. Then just magic wand that %$+$* onto the main workspace.

From here, go back to the tape picture, and flip it vertically.
Image -> Image Rotation -> Flip Canvas Vertical.
Repeat steps above.
If you havent figured out the fourth piece of tape you're adding to your main workspace, just flip the tape from here horizontally, and repeat the stepsabove to make it clear.
Here's what you should have,

Update:
Spoiler [+]
hulsev.jpg

After this, you are done with the 'tape up' effect on your picture and you're done with the wallpaper
pimp.gif

Updated background:
Spoiler [+]
2cpuq7t.jpg

Thumbtacks

If you want to use something like thumbtacks, just do all the steps I posted for the tape MINUS making them clear.Once you paste them all onto your final product wallpaper all you need to do is move them into position. After they're in position, go to Blending Optionsand choose 'Drop Shadow.' The shadow effect instructions are at the beginning of Part 2, so I wont post pictures, and these instructions are universalfor anything that needs a shadow.

Hope this helped anyone who wants to learn how to do this
happy.gif

mrshadow, how'd you get the icon of your laptops battery life onto your desktop?

im using windows7, when i add the start menu onto my objectdock it says i cant have any access to it..so i have to uncheck " hide windows taskbar"making the taskbar show up when i want it to to be hidden.. does anyone have the same problem?

and to have the clock/weather/date etc...on the desktop id have to dl rainmeter right?

2 questions, can we have two separate "notes" on rainmeter? and if so, how do we do it?

and 2, does anyone have a nice calendar for rainmeter?
laugh.gif

i have a quick question about rain meter. im only using a clock and date config but when i start my computer they dont show up. i have to start rainmeter everytime. how can i make is start up automatically?

Back
Top Bottom