post your unpopular pop culture opinions VOL..JIMMIES WILL BE RUSTLED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay did have the strongest team in hip hop

Rocafella>>> death row,bad boy,g unit etc

& dont bring up record sales, rocafella had the game on lock & was doing it big with movies & clothing
Wasn't even a dope label till cam signed
Sigel is better than jay
And the b coming is top 3 album from rocafella
Which technically I believe was released under dame dash music group or something like that

I think people's infatuation with Hov often times has more to do with his image and brand and what he represents, rather than the actual music.

Like you don't really like Hov like that, but because of who he is, the fact that he's big time with the president, does these business ventures, has interviews with warren buffet, the sports agency thing, all of those things impress people so much that they feel that they have to like Jay Z's music because of who he is and what he represents.

It's like saying you listen to Jay Z is the cool thing to do when really, you aren't bumping jay z on the daily and you're forcing yourself to like the music he puts out.
These things mattered, much less existed when I was 9 and had Hard Knock Life on cassette. I like him because his music is great. IMO hes the greatest musician to ever live.
He's not even the best rapper to ever live. Besides I don't think he can even play the recorder. How you gonna be a musician but can't play anything?

How can u say that when no one even has tried using his style
Which he himself stole
Rick Ross kept dude on life support with the features ll the way back from port of Miami
Nas keeps trolling jay with horrible verses
Jay NEEDS other people he can't sustain his career in his own

If what you say is true then all these rappers would have killed Hov on their respective tracks. You have it backwards. These cats reach out to Hov for that stamp of approval.

And yes, rappers can renegade singers. Hov also killed Mya on the Best of Me track. I fast forward her verses.

Would you guys say Jay is slipping because he's rapping what he knows? i.e. current lifestyle?
Nah Jay was spitting about his current lifestyle 15 years ago when he didnt have it so thats not an excuse. 

He just got lazy

All that no pen no pad stuff is cool but his 16s are starting to sound like slightly polished freestyles

If what you say is true then all these rappers would have killed Hov on their respective tracks. You have it backwards. These cats reach out to Hov for that stamp of approval.

And yes, rappers can renegade singers. Hov also killed Mya on the Best of Me track. I fast forward her verses.
So Mariah renegaded Jay Z on Heartbreaker or nah. 
laugh.gif

That's another thing, I don't think anyone's skills diminish in rap music.

I honestly feel that we as listeners evolve with the sound of the times and we are constantly changing what we deem is "good." Therefore, when we hear an artist who we felt was great years ago spit what he was spitting years ago, we say "He's loosing his touch" or "he isn't what he used to be when in actuality, he's the exact same artist musically, its just that the music culture has evolved and changed and we no longer find that brand of music good/noteworthy. We then play their old music and say "See, he isn't like this anymore" when over half the time its pure nostalgia that's clouding our judgement and lyrically, it's almost the same thing.

I feel that this is the case with so many artist that rap heads say have "lost it" like Lil Wayne, or Jay Z.

How can u say that when no one even has tried using his style
Which he himself stole
Rick Ross kept dude on life support with the features ll the way back from port of Miami
Nas keeps trolling jay with horrible verses
Jay NEEDS other people he can't sustain his career in his own

Wayne's best of me freestyle is 100x better than jays
And were u there when these rappers called to get jays stamp of Approval

Nah son JayZ back in the day was the ****. Definitely had GOAT ability. Reasonable Doubt is top 5 greatest rap albums ever made and it was his debut album. Now he's just an old sellout.
Reasonable Doubt isnt a top 5 rap album of 1996 
1996 was a monster year and that's what makes reasonable doubt even more impressive. I admit that top 5 might've been an overstatement though. It's in my personal top 5 favorites but so is Diplomatic Immunity and I wouldn't call it top 5 all time
laugh.gif
I'd say that it is definitely top 10 though.

At least 60% of Will Smiths movies are trash

Pursuit of Happiness, Seven Pounds, I am Legend, Hitch, I could go on and on and on.

The Dark Knight Trilogy is the best movie Trilogy ever.

Last edited:
Kids born after 2000 sing several of Michael Jackson's hits even though they were made 15 to 20 years before they were born.

When was the last time you heard ANY kid born after 2000, singing ANY song off of Reasonable Doubt(1996), or In My Lifetime Vol.1(1997), Vol 2 Hard Knock Life(1998), Vol 3. Life And Times S. Carter? All the way up through Blueprint 3.

That is the difference.
The impact of MJ's music is still felt dacades and generations after it was made.
The impact of Jay-Z's music quickly fades a few short years after it was made.

I also find it interesting that 9 out 10 of Jay-Z's top 10 hits were songs that needed help from other people to make it hot.

The comparison of Jay-Z to MJ is more hilarious than it is jimmy rustling

Jay right now = jordan playing another 3 yrs for the wizards, jay just dont want to hang it up, its hurting his legacy

These things mattered, much less existed when I was 9 and had Hard Knock Life on cassette. I like him because his music is great. IMO hes the greatest musician to ever live.

The greatest musician to ever live? Anti you're on a role tonight my goodness :lol: Jay Z is average as hell to me. To each its own, but I don't hear anything that says Jay Z is the greatest rapper ever, let alone the greatest musician ever.

Should be noted though, that before these new wave of rappers I would never consider a rapper a great musician or the greatest musician ever simply because the genre is far too limited in its musicality aspects. Only now with Drake, Cole, Kendrick, Sean, (Yes, give sean his just do) and others who are pushing the envelope sonically, conceptually, and incorporating melody, only now do I personally see rappers has having the possibility of being great musicians.

I honestly feel that we as listeners evolve with the sound of the times and we are constantly changing what we deem is "good." Therefore, when we hear an artist who we felt was great years ago spit what he was spitting years ago, we say "He's loosing his touch" or "he isn't what he used to be when in actuality, he's the exact same artist musically, its just that the music culture has evolved and changed and we no longer find that brand of music good/noteworthy. We then play their old music and say "See, he isn't like this anymore" when over half the time its pure nostalgia that's clouding our judgement and lyrically, it's almost the same thing.

I feel that this is the case with so many artist that rap heads say have "lost it" like Lil Wayne, or Jay Z.

As far as Wayne goes, he just lost it. People always talk about the Carter 2 and Drought 3, but nah his best material was his Sqad Up days up to the Carter 1. He started going downhill after that.

Would you guys say Jay is slipping because he's rapping what he knows? i.e. current lifestyle?
imo is how simple his lyrics have become. but to his credit he got in peoples minds years ago and made everyone think that hes simplifying his music to become more popular when really he's not not working as hard as he used to.

mainstream rapper wise jayz is pretty much the opposite of eminem

40 has single-handedly changed rap music forever and has pushed it forward to a point where rap music over his production (Or production similar to his) does not sound awkward (rap music can be hella awkard to me) and has made rap music a more enjoyable experience for anyone listening, especially those who aren't Native to rap music. (I.e. "white america," pop culture, etc.)

As far as Wayne goes, he just lost it. People always talk about the Carter 2 and Drought 3, but nah his best material was his Sqad Up days up to the Carter 1. He started going downhill after that.
THIS MAN KNOWS

Wayne's best of me freestyle is 100x better than jays
And were u there when these rappers called to get jays stamp of Approval

Having a Jay Z feature is guranteed to get your song listened to. I see it everytime a new tracklist drops, the first tracks people check for are the Hov features and then whatever rappers are hot at the moment (Drake, Big Sean)

Listen to carter 2, drought 3, squad up, listen to those tapes. Even the dedication series. These are praised by many to be wayne's best work. Listen to them, the content is no different than what is on The Carter IV, or Carter V, or Dedication 3, 4, 5, etc. It's all relatively the same content wise. He's talking about the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom