POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Sooo..

Ever since I graduated college ('07) my father has been insisting on getting me a watch as a graduation gift. I've been putting it off because I don't really wear watches and I didn't want my father spending this amount of money on a watch (I don't see the high value in watches to be honest). I've been putting it off because I thought he'd drop/forgot about it but he hasn't and he's sayign he'll just go and buy one on his own.
laugh.gif

I literally know nothing about watches. My father says he wants to spend anywhere from 6-8k and tells me to look at Breitling's? Idk. What are some quality watches in the aforementioned price range?
Damn...you're awfully lucky! If I were you, I'd probably get two watches that are 3-4k each. One with a metal band and the other leather...

Originally Posted by icebergslm

That's a serious Montblanc RFX..I've been wanting this star 4810 for a minute, but it's hard for me to buy a watch that's not made by a "watch company". Just like I would love to one day get a Cartier Roadster, but I always look at Cartier as a jewelry company before a watch company.

With Montblanc, I understand but Cartier has been a pretty reputable watch company. Even though most people view them as a fashion/jewelry brand, they have a rich watch history. Their Tank model started is very close to being a century old, maybe 90 years now iirc. They have also been involved with watch companies such as JLC, VC and AP, when it comes to watches, Cartier definitely know what they are doing. And this history is actually why they get to charge so much for their timepieces.

As a matter of fact, the quick release system in the IWC Aquatimer right now is patented/created by Cartier.

^ yea, i meant to add that I feel more that way about Montblanc than Cartier..I might be mistaken, but I think I read that the Santos was actually the first watch worn as a wristwatch and not a pocket watch.  I agree with you on Cartier, and i'm aware of their history as watchmakers, I just added them in as another company that wasn't strictly a watch company...Montblanc has some watches that I can only describe as beautiful, but I always find myself thinking, they were making pens before they made watches. The Cartier Roadster, i'm sure i'll end up getting at some point.  I love that watch too much not to get it, and the same goes for the santos  
laugh.gif

Was wondering if RFX or any of the other experts in the thread could comment on Boccia. Are they a pretty decent brand? 

155rz8k.jpg

Originally Posted by JDub4

I don't have much. I just copped the Tissot PRC200 and I'm loving it.
jphjrs.jpg
My dude...can I get some pics of this on your wrist?

Any opinions on this watch? I like the looks and it seems to be rather inexpensive compared to a lot of the other watches I've seen posted in here.

i saw that tissot watch in person. honestly, i was a little underwhelmed after seeing some nice pics on nt.  the materials and build just felt unremarkable to me.

it's a nice watch at a good price, but it's just an "okay" watch to me.

That AP is the Millenary Carbon One Tourbillon Chronograph, limited to 120 pieces.
I haven't read the price yet but it'll probably retail for around $250k-$300k.

From GQ:
[h1]Ones to Watch: 8 Timepiece Trends That Matter[/h1][h2]Make time for the first installment of our 2010 watch preview, featuring the very best from Geneva's SIHH fair[/h2]
watches-collage.jpg

The world of watches is absorbingly complicated. (Literally; chronographs, perpetual calendars, moon phases, and all those other features that make timepieces unique are referred to by hardcore watch enthusiasts as...complications.) Case in point: the recent 2010 SIHH (Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie) show in Geneva, Switzerland, where some of the world's most prestigious watch brands showcased their newest and coolest timepieces—and where we saw everything from sporty subdials to tricked-out tourbillons. We sorted through hundreds to identify the trends of the moment, and to hand-select the watches you should consider strapping on this year.

Ultra-Thin

Vacheron Constantin Historiques 1955
Gold, 36 mm x 4.1 mm thick

Piaget Altiplano Automatic
Gold, 43 mm x 5.25 thick

watches-vacheron.jpg
watches-piaget.jpg

Dark Dials

IWC Portuguese Chronograph Automatic
Stainless steel, 40.9 mm

Baume & Mercier Classima Executive
Stainless steel, 39 mm

watches-iwc.jpg
watches-baume-mercier.jpg

Vintage-Inspired

Cartier Louis Cartier XL tank
Gold, 33.7 x 25.5 mm

Dunhill Classic
Stainless steel, 38 mm

watches-cartier.jpg
watches-dunhill.jpg

Nuts-and-Bolts
Ralph Lauren Chronograph Sporting Model
Stainless steel, 39 mm 

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver 
Stainless steel, 37 mm

watches-ralph-lauren.jpg
watches-audemars-piguet.jpg

Time Zone
Girard Perregaux World Timer Small Second 
Gold 

Jaeger-Le Coultre Master Memovox International (limited series of 750)
Steel

watches-girard-perregaux.jpg
watches-jaeger-international.jpg

Neo-Romans
Montblanc Star XL Automatic
Stainless steel, 40 mm

A. Lange & Söhne Richard Lange Referenzuhr
Gold

watches-montblanc.jpg
watches-alange.jpg

Complicated Faces
Jaeger-Le Coultre Master Compressor Extreme Lab 2
Richard Mille Felipe Massa Flyback Chronograph RM 011

watches-jaeger-compressor.jpg
watches-rm.jpg

Matte Cases
Panerai Marina Miltare 
Ceramic composite case, 47 mm

Jeanrichard Diverscope JR1000
Rubber coated steel case, 43 mm

watches-panerai.jpg
watches-jean-richard.jpg

Hey anyone know of any good all black watches? I am looking to spend less than $50. Valet mag just had this article about black watches http://www.valetmag.com/the-mix/031010.php/ . I was looking at the Timex one but a 35 millimeters case I believe would be too small on my wrist. I haven't worn a watch in a long time and looking to start out small and if I don't break it in a year I would buy a more expensive watch probably around $400 to $700. So any good ideas for an all black watch? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Snake201

Hey anyone know of any good all black watches? I am looking to spend less than $50. Valet mag just had this article about black watches http://www.valetmag.com/the-mix/031010.php/ . I was looking at the Timex one but a 35 millimeters case I believe would be too small on my wrist. I haven't worn a watch in a long time and looking to start out small and if I don't break it in a year I would buy a more expensive watch probably around $400 to $700. So any good ideas for an all black watch? Thanks in advance.

$50 budget? Go with Fossil but you'd have to visit an outlet to get it for that price. 
Or you can go to the Timex website and get one of the vlassic models.

http://www.timex.com/b/2240033011?s...2240033011&field_availability=-1&searchPage=1

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by Snake201

$50 budget? Go with Fossil but you'd have to visit an outlet to get it for that price. 
Or you can go to the Timex website and get one of the vlassic models.

http://www.timex.com/b/2240033011?s...2240033011&field_availability=-1&searchPage=1
I mean I can do more than $50 I just want to keep it relatively cheap. I just want a watch to start off with. Last time I remember wearing a watch was years a go. So I just want to get used to having it on my wrist and like not scratch the face with desk corners and other stuff like that. 

Upon further inspection, I hate the mineral glass crystal on those Timex, not scratch proof.
If you are willing to spend around $500-$600, check out the Hamilton Field Automatic.
Retail is $795 (you can probably find it cheaper) and it is 44mm and looks pretty damn good.

H70685333.jpg

The Hamilton Khaki Officer isn't bad either.

jomashop_2095_47619767

^^ that Tissot is
pimp.gif

I was considering the PRC-200 (?) but now I may just hold out for that one. Any word on price and availability?

OK OK. here's a question for who knows. what is the difference in Rolex GMT master II and the Rolex Explorer II. i have a chance to buy a 2006 GMT II for 3600 but i like the explorer II as well, and they have it for a decent price on another board. you know which one I'm talking bout RFX, the one you had your hublot on to get voted for. so if anyone who knows Rolex's shed some light on which one is better, movements wise or in general.

Originally Posted by elgrenas

OK OK. here's a question for who knows. what is the difference in Rolex GMT master II and the Rolex Explorer II. i have a chance to buy a 2006 GMT II for 3600 but i like the explorer II as well, and they have it for a decent price on another board. you know which one I'm talking bout RFX, the one you had your hublot on to get voted for. so if anyone who knows Rolex's shed some light on which one is better, movements wise or in general.

Which GMT II master? The ceramic?

Back
Top Bottom