Pre NFL Draft Thread - Update, Jake Long #1

Anything outa the Cowboys camp???

Boldin or Williams??
nerd.gif

Cowboys = Roy Williams...

Not anything concrete, just a hunch. I think they'll get something done while they're on the clock.

has anyone posted the final mock drafts for the mel kiper jr, and todd mchsay? got a little bet going with the roommate and think it's insider only. Thanks

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Not anything concrete, just a hunch. I think they'll get something done while they're on the clock.

If the cost is one of the picks...might as well.
We all know the windows to win a title are tiny...

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

If the cost is one of the picks...might as well.
We all know the windows to win a title are tiny...

Yep. Jerry and Stephen Jones seem dead set on getting a WR through trade or at June cuts... They don't seem willing to wait on one to develop throughthe draft. They need a weapon now, and they know it...
I just hope they don't over extend themselves and pay too much if something comes available tothem.

*EDIT*

Cowboys traded Anthony Fasano and Akin Ayodele to the Dolphins for a 4th rounder... Opening up some cap space for somethin bigger tomorrow?
nerd.gif

Jerry got somethin big in store
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Typical Parcells as well...and it's a good move for him and the Fins.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Cowboys traded Anthony Fasano and Akin Ayodele to the Dolphins for a 4th rounder.
laugh.gif

The Dolphins immediately came to mind when I saw "Anthony Fasano".

Interesting.

Yep, that was a Parcells guy through and through... And Akin was gone one way or another, anyways...
God, I can't wait for tomorrow...

good lord Parcells loves his guys
laugh.gif

guess the cowboys will be drafting a TE in later rounds now

It's the first pick of the fourth round, 100 overall.

22 (1)
27 (1)
61 (2)
92 (3)
100 (4)
163 (5)
167 (6)
235 (7)

pimp.gif

indifferent.gif
at the time change, though.

[h1]Wake up, Bears: Target Mendenhall, not OT[/h1][h3]Forget safe play at tackle; local kid's the back to make offense go[/h3]
April 24, 2008

BY JAY MARIOTTI Sun-Times Columnist

Maybe I'm mistaken, but to have a running game, it helps to actually have a running back. The Bears own no such creature, unless we're countingCedric (Three Yards and a Cloud of Bust) Benson -- and I'm not. Without a ballcarrier, they're placing ungodly pressure on Rex Grossman or Kyle Ortonto stimulate the offense, a daunting thought in and of itself and even scarier considering there are better wide receivers in Lincoln Park weekend leagues.

The good news is that a solution is in our midst, right there in the northern suburbs, where Rashard Mendenhall will sit in his living room Saturday andwait for a call from his hometown team. Last we saw him, in the Rose Bowl, he was thrashing through the NFL-style defense of the USC Trojans, flashing enoughdoses of power and speed for Illinois that opposing coach Pete Carroll raved about him as much as his own victorious team. Some very sophisticated football menthink Mendenhall will be a better back than Darren McFadden, whom Bears general manager Jerry Angelo calls the best player in the draft.

» Click to enlarge image
[img]http://media1.suntimes.com/mul...80423_20_18_49_120-116-165.imageContent[/img]
Rashard Mendenhall
(AP file)

Wake up, Bears: Target Mendenhall, not OT

So ... local kid ... Illini product ... knows coordinator Ron Turner's system ... no character issues ... respectful and humble ... stock on the rise --isn't this a natural choice if he remains available at No. 14 in the league's annual meat-on-the-hoof, vertical-leap-and-hip-swivel parade?

"The Bears did feel like home, maybe because it was home. It felt good," Mendenhall said of meeting Lovie Smith and the Halas Hall crowd. "Iknow everybody around me wants it to happen. I think it would be pretty cool. Chicago was my favorite team growing up, and I love the city of Chicago. Lovie isone of the best guys I've ever met in my life."

Ah, but with the good news, there tends to be bad news when it comes to Angelo's scattershot drafting history. Unless a GM with no detectable trackrecord of bluffing suddenly is playing poker, Angelo would prefer taking an offensive tackle with his first-round pick and wait until later rounds to snag arunning back. This is classic, in-the-trenches thinking in a year when the best tackles will go quickly and running backs are said to be plentiful in the topthree rounds. But while I'm sure Jeff Otah, Chris Williams and Ryan Clady have their charms, Angelo thought the same thing about the last offensive linemanhe drafted, Marc Colombo, who faded away amid injuries before resurfacing in Dallas. And I seem to recall a ceritifiable bust named Stan Thomas, a would-besavior up front in 1991 until Mike Ditka let the world know that Thomas was the boneheaded selection of one Michael McCaskey, who never should have beenallowed within two zip codes of a war room.

Yes, the Bears have had a rotten streak with first-round running backs, too. Curtis Enis, Rashaan Salaam and Benson belong on the league's all-time listof draft busts, with all sharing immaturity and concentation lapses as character flaws. But anyone who has been around Mendenhall realizes he has no suchproblems and knows he already is talking wisely about how he'll invest his early fortune, which will include a signing bonus of around $15 million. Angelosounds prepared to gamble and draft a runner later, saying of the lineman/back quandary, "If you said both players are needs, then obviously you want totake the best player. You look at what the second tier at that position will offer you, and sometimes that makes your decision. If you feel like you can get aplayer, maybe not of that value but close to that value, and he'll be there in the second or third round, [and] the other player you look and you'rereally falling off the cliff, then that becomes the tiebreaker."

But having already missed badly on Grossman and Benson -- at the two most vital positions on any offense -- Angelo owes it to Bears fans to keep trying tofix those black holes. The man is in denial, continuing to believe Grossman or Orton can win a Super Bowl when a 10-year-old in the stands knows better. Theoffense, without a proven playmaker beyond a raw Devin Hester on the flank, desperately needs immediate bullets. Angelo could have filled the running-back needby spending some of his ample salary-cap money on Michael Turner, who probably would have preferred his native Chicago to Atlanta if only the Bears hadproduced an offer. Instead, Halas Hall is stuck with several offensive holes to fill Saturday, and if Angelo's previous six drafts are a generalindication, he'll succeed defensively and miss offensively.

If the Bears like Mendenhall and think he'll be a productive starter for the next six years, then, by all means, take him and find your tackle later.And if it means trading up a couple of spots to get him, fine. The running backs who will be available in the second and third round all have "buts"beside their accolades. Ray Rice? Lacks a breakaway burst and is just 5-9. Matt Forte? Not elusive, played against suspect competition at Tulane. TashardChoice? Not a burner. Jamaal Charles? Maybe not an every-down back. Chris Johnson? Fast, but might have durability issues. The best back is McFadden, whosewell-chronicled character issues could push him to the Jets at No. 6, followed by Mendenhall and workhorse Jonathan Stewart, who should be there at No. 14 ifMendenhall is gone.

It's time for Angelo to walk on the wild side, take some high risks for the sake of high reward. The Minnesota Vikings, clearly the favorites in the NFCNorth, traded three high draft picks for sackmaster Jared Allen and now have a monstrous defensive line. And even without Brett Favre, the Packers aredecidedly better than the Bears. Conservatism might work when a team is on the rise, but the Bears are in decline and ache for a difference-maker. Jeff Otahisn't an instant difference-maker. Rashard Mendenhall might be.

The Bears like Matt Ryan, but the draft's best quarterback probably wll be taken by Atlanta at No. 3. They're also said to be intrigued by ChadHenne and might select the Michigan man if he's still available in the second round. But if they take a lineman and a quarterback, then the running backhas to wait until the third round or later. Which means Benson, coming off a leg problem and still nursing an attitude problem, would remain the lead back, nodoubt because Angelo can't admit his colossal error in drafting him fourth in 2005 and paying him more than $22 million so far.

Let's hope -- pray -- that he doesn't have interest in Shaun Alexander. Ever see a franchise player erode so quickly? Worn down by injuries, 2,400career carries and a soft reputation, the former All-Pro back was dumped by Seattle. If people think Benson is a sluggish head case, Alexander would drive youto drink. He can't block. He isn't a good pass receiver. He falls or runs out of bounds on contact. Jamal Lewis may have revived his career inCleveland last season, but Alexander cannot.

Less than 15 months removed from a Super Bowl that I'm not sure ever happened, the Bears are at an organizational crossroads. Between BrianUrlacher's attempted salary grab and other issues, this team might not see a winning season for some time. A football town needs an injection of hope, areason to get jacked.

And Joltin' Jerry is going to serve you by taking a tackle.

Blah.

Without an offensive line, drafting another RB isn't making you a better team.

Going OL makes more sense for the Bears.
indifferent.gif
at the time change, though.
Yeah, pushing back to mid-afternoon is ******ed...

Don't mind the time change since I am in Cali, although I enjoyed waking up early for the past 12 years to see the draft.

Back
Top Bottom