Products that changed mid life cycle...any examples? vol. I need to win a bet.

I'm pretty sure there are some shoes that changed mid life cycle and I was having an argument with my friend. It can't be something trivial like laces or the difference from a retro shoe to an original shoe. I'm asking about Nike products or shoes that within the year they are out, were varied or different from one colorway to the next.

I'm pretty sure there are some shoes that changed mid life cycle and I was having an argument with my friend. It can't be something trivial like laces or the difference from a retro shoe to an original shoe. I'm asking about Nike products or shoes that within the year they are out, were varied or different from one colorway to the next.

Originally Posted by BigBallinBruce

:/ huhhh? whats a mid life cycle?

like if the lebron vii stopped using flywire and only used that braided upper on all its shoes halfway through or before the lebron viii came out.

Originally Posted by BigBallinBruce

:/ huhhh? whats a mid life cycle?

like if the lebron vii stopped using flywire and only used that braided upper on all its shoes halfway through or before the lebron viii came out.

I think I get what you're trying to say. Here's an example I can think of:

When the Zoom Soldier II released there were initially complaints of poor lockdown and lots of heel slip. Lebron himself must have been complaining, because Nike added a top eyelet to all his PEs. Later, when Nike released the TB colorways, they added a top eyelet to these too. Peep the difference.

Before
soldiereyeletless.png

After
soldiervg.png

Is that what you were looking for?

I think I get what you're trying to say. Here's an example I can think of:

When the Zoom Soldier II released there were initially complaints of poor lockdown and lots of heel slip. Lebron himself must have been complaining, because Nike added a top eyelet to all his PEs. Later, when Nike released the TB colorways, they added a top eyelet to these too. Peep the difference.

Before
soldiereyeletless.png

After
soldiervg.png

Is that what you were looking for?

Didn't the Jordan XII start off with full length air and change to zoom air with either the French Blues or Black/Reds?

Didn't the Jordan XII start off with full length air and change to zoom air with either the French Blues or Black/Reds?

^French Blues were only a retro colorway, if I'm not mistaken. Did you mean the Obsidians? Either way I've never heard that, but it could very well be true.

^French Blues were only a retro colorway, if I'm not mistaken. Did you mean the Obsidians? Either way I've never heard that, but it could very well be true.

without thinking too hard about it, i can think of two off the top apply to what you're asking...

the toe cap on the OG X's changed between colorways.
air-jordan-10-steel-grey-giveaway-1.jpg

to
011084_1_p.jpg

another example - OG eggplant flightposite 1's didnt have the velcro tabs at the top of the zipper. the OG gold pair had the velcro tabs, though.
nikeairflightpositeisceyf0.jpg

couldn't find a quick pic of OG gold's on google, but you should know what the velcro tabs looks like now.

without thinking too hard about it, i can think of two off the top apply to what you're asking...

the toe cap on the OG X's changed between colorways.
air-jordan-10-steel-grey-giveaway-1.jpg

to
011084_1_p.jpg

another example - OG eggplant flightposite 1's didnt have the velcro tabs at the top of the zipper. the OG gold pair had the velcro tabs, though.
nikeairflightpositeisceyf0.jpg

couldn't find a quick pic of OG gold's on google, but you should know what the velcro tabs looks like now.

I guess two of the more obvious potential examples are the upper variations on the XIII and XIV.

Originally Posted by BigPUNoy

I think it's quite widely believed that when the Black/White colorway released in Summer 97, the price went up $5.00 because they added Zoom.

I'm fairly sure the XII had Zoom to start off with, and they hiked the price just because they could.

I guess two of the more obvious potential examples are the upper variations on the XIII and XIV.

I think it's quite widely believed that when the Black/White colorway released in Summer 97, the price went up $5.00 because they added Zoom.

I'm fairly sure the XII had Zoom to start off with, and they hiked the price just because they could.

Originally Posted by swingshot

i remember that.

yes these are great examples and exactly what i'm talking about. i knew i wasn't crazy.

i guess you could say it doesn't count for some of them if the delay between the products is significant. like soldiers and TB's.

FP's are so close and I definitely remember the XII occurrence. It's very interesting when it happens within a few months of the products coming out. My friend acts like its impossible due to factory and time constraints.

The argument started when the ballistec 2.3's look like the wimbledon colorways have lunarlon in them instead of lunarlite. he was arguing that it is just marketing hype there is no difference and even if there was they couldn't really change it that quick, blah blah blah. i mean it's just the cushioning in the sole which can be manufactured in batches.

Originally Posted by swingshot

i remember that.

yes these are great examples and exactly what i'm talking about. i knew i wasn't crazy.

i guess you could say it doesn't count for some of them if the delay between the products is significant. like soldiers and TB's.

FP's are so close and I definitely remember the XII occurrence. It's very interesting when it happens within a few months of the products coming out. My friend acts like its impossible due to factory and time constraints.

The argument started when the ballistec 2.3's look like the wimbledon colorways have lunarlon in them instead of lunarlite. he was arguing that it is just marketing hype there is no difference and even if there was they couldn't really change it that quick, blah blah blah. i mean it's just the cushioning in the sole which can be manufactured in batches.

Back
Top Bottom