Pros that DIDN'T have to leave their home state...

Julius Peppers
pimp.gif

NC born and raised. S. Nash HS > UNC > Carolina Panthers.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Jordan Farmar has not even had to leave the city of Los Angeles, let alone the State of California. He played high school ball at Taft High, in the Valley; he played college ball at UCLA, in West LA and now he is playing at Staples which is downtown.

That's a pretty sweet deal, living your whole life in Los Angeles, playing for the team you rooted for as kid, knowing that your team is on the rise and that it may very well win a title in the coming years.

Yea Farmar's situation makes no damn sense........
roll.gif

No mention of Tony Gwynn?

Seriously?

He's like Farmar, but he's a Hall of Famer.

- played basketball and baseball at San Diego State University (was the assist leader for SDSU when he left, and was drafted by the San Diego Clippers and theSan Diego Padres)
- played 20 years for the Padres
- is now the head baseball coach for SDSU

^ Did he?

I've never heard that, and it doesn't show it on his wikipedia page.

*edit* Oh, Long Beach Poly is a High School. I never knew he went to HS in Long Beach. I knew he was born in LB, but I always thought he grew up in S.D.

D'oh!

*removes Tony Gwynn, the greatest hitter since Pete Rose, from the list of nominees*

Alright, my Tony Gwynn nomination got shot down from the 'Played in the same city he was born and raised in' nominations, but he still never had toleave his home state.
pimp.gif

And now I'll throw Garret Anderson in there, too. Born in L.A., went to HS in L.A. (Kennedy HS in Granada Hills), and has played his whole career with theAngels.
pimp.gif

Jordan Farmar- grew up in LA, went to UCLA, now a Laker
Barry Bonds- well not counting Pittsburgh...
laugh.gif

Tully Banta-Cain-grew up in Sunnyvale
pimp.gif
(my city), went to Cal,now a 49er

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Jordan Farmar has not even had to leave the city of Los Angeles, let alone the State of California. He played high school ball at Taft High, in the Valley; he played college ball at UCLA, in West LA and now he is playing at Staples which is downtown.

That's a pretty sweet deal, living your whole life in Los Angeles, playing for the team you rooted for as kid, knowing that your team is on the rise and that it may very well win a title in the coming years.

Same with Ariza, even though he had his stint in the East Coast.

Lorenzen Wright went to High school and college in Memphis, and played for the Grizzlies for a long time.

SP-5142~Barry-Larkin-Cincinnati-Reds-Posters.jpg

born in Cincy, but played college ball at Michigan, then played with the Reds for 19 years.

Griffey also lived in Cincy for a while (when Sr played with the Reds) and he went to the same high school that Larkin did.

The Wizards always have a local player on there team
laugh.gif

Roger Mason Jr.: Born and raised in the District, now plays for the District.

Reggie Nelson: born and raised in FL, gainesville for college, now playing for Jacksonville.

I think Trevor Ariza has it pretty nice. High school ball in LA, college ball in LA, and gets to play for the Lakers.

excuse me, did farmar get traded to the celtics?

as far as school/pros match.

ray felton and sean may.

No mention of Tony Gwynn?

Seriously?

He's like Farmar, but he's a Hall of Famer.

- played basketball and baseball at San Diego State University (was the assist leader for SDSU when he left, and was drafted by the San Diego Clippers and the San Diego Padres)
- played 20 years for the Padres
- is now the head baseball coach for SDSU
He never left Cali though.

pimp.gif

Tony Gwynn is Mr. San Diego, no matter how you cut it.

As far as Adrian Gonzales goes, he was drafted by the Florida Marlins then traded to the Texas Rangers before coming to the Pads. So he left Cali before comingback. Hometown hero but take him off of the list of never leaving the state.

doug flutie...from mass...went to boston college...had stints in other cities but retires while a pat
chris webber...from detriot...went to michigan...had stints in sac and philly but came back to detriot
mark jackson...from ny...played most his career with the knicks

Jeff McInnis also grew up in North Carolina, went to UNC, played for a couple teams, & now is with Charlotte.

Okay, it is players that NEVER left their home state, right?

So many of these players named have left and have come back.

Andre Carter, went to oak grove, then Cal, then a SF 49er... (now with the skins though)

And Shanw springs played with Seattle correct?
Yessir... voiding his name from the list.

The number 1 guy that came to mind is obviously Lebron, at least for me.

and Yes Tony Gwynn counts, the dude owns San Diego

Back
Top Bottom