Public Library Unappreciation vol. homeless shelter

So I recently moved and I didn't have my internet set up at my new place yet so I brought my laptop to the library down the street to use their wifi. 

As soon as I walked in I could smell b.o.  This wasn't a large library but of the 25 people there I would guess that 10-15 were homeless.  I could also see that there was nowhere to sit.  There were several circular desks that could have each been used by four people, but in their place they were filled with old plastic shopping bags filled with clothes and sleeping bags.  One asian girl, looking like she was in about 6th grade, had  managed to find desk space was by herself trying to do math homework, but was clearly uncomfortable with one lady who would walk in a continuously circle around the whole library mumbling to herself.  Of course the people who work at the library aren't the kind of people who would be able to ask someone to leave.

Now, I am and if they were at least hygenic and reading, using the computer, or anything resembling using a library the way it was meant to be used,  I wouldn't have any problem with it.  But they didn't seem to be waiting for the computer or anything.  I know that public libraries are a public institution that are open to anyone but come on,  there at least has to be some standard of hygine/public safety that could get these people out of our libraries.  Though these people might have nowhere else to go, their use of a valuable part of the community as their shelter has to be addressed.  I don't have any solutions myself but I was hoping to start a dialogue about this.  When I was little I used to chill at the library after school reading choose your own adventures until my mom would pick me up but knowing the kind of environment libraries are now, theres no way my kid will do the same.  Makes me sad.  Yes I'm mad.  Anyone else with similar stories?  No I'm not Republican

did not read but first thing i thought of

uclaracist.jpg

you must live in the hood then. my 2 closest public librarys are nice. i always go there when i cant get peace at home or want to pick up girls. no hobos either.

I always hit up the public library to study...find a table, or a study booth, open up my laptop and do my thing

its not a HUGE library, so it doesn't have a BO smell....homeless people there dont bother me at all, they just want to read a good book or the newspaper

yes i have witnessed this. its gross

you think about the kind of germs that are on that desk you're using at the library. the chairs are probably smeared with bits of their doodoo

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 you dudes are **@ holes.  Was I was younger we would head to the public library and my mom would always warn us to be careful because of the people there but you cant really do anything about it as they have the same right to be there as you. 

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

If you can, go to a college library. Problem solved.

nope. at least at my school the public libraries are better than college ones. There are more homeless people in their than students

Yeah man, I hate those bums.

The nerve of some people who don't have homes, family, or a quiet place to sit... how dare they intrude on my public libaries.

I mean, I have to smell them... that's the worst thing I could ever experience.

Woe is me.

laugh.gif
I go to SJSU and the MLK library is full of homeless people all the time but as long as they dont bother me when I'm studying I'm cool. Or I'll go to the 5/6th floor so I can avoid the smell.

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

where u live. Angoon?

This got me 
laugh.gif
  where is Mr. Grape 
nerd.gif

Anyways. . Public Library FTW, I haven't bought a book in so long . . 

MLK HAS HELLA HOMELESS BUT I WORK THERE & I KNOW HALF OF THEM NOW HaHa, ITS NOT ONLY HOMELESS THO, YOU GET THE GROUP HOME KIDS, & Lady s 4rm The W omens Shelter

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Yeah man, I hate those bums.

The nerve of some people who don't have homes, family, or a quiet place to sit... how dare they intrude on my public libaries.

I mean, I have to smell them... that's the worst thing I could ever experience.

Woe is me.

i mean, they are inhabiting a place that we pay to keep open...

Back
Top Bottom