Public Relations Majors/ Nike and JB Employees

Majoring in PR at The University of Houston, any PR majors out there that can give me some advice on how to become successful and some input in what you ACTUALLY do. I know text book responses but I wanna hear it from someone who actually works in the field. 
  • Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • I would love to work for JB or Nike anyone have any suggestions or advice on internships or anything else
Thanks in advance

If you're doing PR in college you should get heavily involved with your college network as well as leading a club or two that has a large presence on campus or is recognized elsewhere. Get in touch with your alumni network too, there could be a UH person who can get you those interviews you need.

I major in engineering but this is pretty much true for anyone in college...

I held an internship for a PR firm for a few months up until a couple weeks ago. It's all about connections and relationships. The best learning experiences you'll get will be in the field, so try to get an internship if you can. AND IF POSSIBLE, GET PAID BRUH

I held an internship for a PR firm for a few months up until a couple weeks ago. It's all about connections and relationships. The best learning experiences you'll get will be in the field, so try to get an internship if you can. AND IF POSSIBLE, GET PAID BRUH
Gettin paid is the plan, if you dont mind me asking what did they have you do there.

Gettin paid is the plan, if you dont mind me asking what did they have you do there.

It was small PR firm, the publicist I worked for represents a couple big name Atlanta rappers and tv stars. I did a little bit of everything though, made calls/pitches, set up interviews, kept the database updated, mailed stuff, etc. etc. It was a valuable experience, but I felt I was putting more in than I was getting out, plus sitting in an office all day was boring as hell.

Back
Top Bottom