Q: What does a full-length encapsulated Air-sole look like?

Have any of you ever seen one? And if so, does it at all resemble the large volume visible Air-soles in other shoes, such as a the Powermax or AMUptempo?

from jordan 1.5 (melo)
4a7515190105rgrp

4a7515190105rgrq

Originally Posted by clkru

Have any of you ever seen one? And if so, does it at all resemble the large volume visible Air-soles in other shoes, such as a the Powermax or AM Uptempo?

There's probably been a lot of variations on full length encapsulated air in the past, but i'm not sure if there's even been an encapsulated fulllength Air Max unit...

It would seem to defeat one of the purposes for which the Air Max concept was designed.(?)

Originally Posted by swingshot

Originally Posted by clkru

Have any of you ever seen one? And if so, does it at all resemble the large volume visible Air-soles in other shoes, such as a the Powermax or AM Uptempo?
There's probably been a lot of variations on full length encapsulated air in the past, but i'm not sure if there's even been an encapsulated full length Air Max unit...

It would seem to defeat one of the purposes for which the Air Max concept was designed.(?)
QFT. Wasps-and-Asps's posted photo is of a very typical full-length encapsulated Airsole, and yes, there are several variations (differentpressures, shapes, heights, dot vs. tube layouts, etc.)

From a cushioning/rebound standpoint, the main difference is that the encapsulated bags aren't so easy on the eyes. (You'll notice the encapsulatedbag pictured is kind of translucently greyish... the cosmetics of these aren't terribly important, because they're hidden from sight.) So back in themid-80s, Tinker Hatfield saw a building with artfully exposed infrastructure (HVAC, electrical, plumbing, etc.) and was inspired to make the Airsole visible aswell, instead of a "trust me, it's in there" kind of technology. It's one thing to imagine it, though, and another thing to make it... so ateam of designers/engineers had to solve the problem of finding a whole new way of making a performance Airsole that was also tall enough--and clearenough!--to view through a midsole window. And it's grown from there to umpteen flavors of Max cushioning as the manufacturing technologies have matured(and new ones have been invented).

As you point out, Max Air units have "larger volume", so they provide proportionally more of the Air cushioning feel. Otherwise, they'reessentially a descendant of the encapsulated variety, in terms of cushioning characteristics. There's just more there.

Jfeezy the building you speak of that Tinker saw was the Pompidou Centre by Richard Rogers and Renzo Piano. Very controversial building at the time that hasgrown to define its surrounding area.

005B.jpg

As an arch major I feel it was my duty to let everyone know.
laugh.gif

Thank you fellow engineering major... im a ME myself and my girl is an AE herself.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Jfeezy the building you speak of that Tinker saw was the Pompidou Centre by Richard Rogers and Renzo Piano. Very controversial building at the time that has grown to define its surrounding area.

laugh.gif

Yep, that's the one... thanks, the name escaped me! (FWIW, I'm an engineering dork myself... materials science, concentrating on polymer physics. Although that was fifteen years ago...
ohwell.gif
)

And "Renzo Piano" might just be the most awesome name ever.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Jfeezy the building you speak of that Tinker saw was the Pompidou Centre by Richard Rogers and Renzo Piano. Very controversial building at the time that has grown to define its surrounding area.

005B.jpg

laugh.gif

Paris, right? I bought a beret and an ice cream across that courtyard and stood there looking for cute French girls...

Post much Appreciated!
smile.gif

I love to see stuff like this, and how shoes are made and have the Tech in them

The Penny Foamposite has doublestacked air. Does that mean they just put two bags on top of each other?

Originally Posted by chinaurge

The Penny Foamposite has doublestacked air. Does that mean they just put two bags on top of each other?

I heard the OGs have doublestacked zoom........ but i dont think the retroes do.

Back
Top Bottom