Question About High Altitudes

Are people who live in high altitude places stronger than people that live in lower ones?

Since high altitude places have thinner air, wouldn't a person living in those types of places (Denver, Bolivia,etc.) be more fit (assuming they were of similar build) than a person living in a place like the midwest? Adapting to an environment with less oxygen buildsstrong lungs, does it not?

Anyone here know?

Originally Posted by IM A HELION

Are people who live in high altitude places stronger than people that live in lower ones?

Since high altitude places have thinner air, wouldn't a person living in those types of places (Denver, Bolivia, etc.) be more fit (assuming they were of similar build) than a person living in a place like the midwest? Adapting to an environment with less oxygen builds strong lungs, does it not?

Anyone here know?

2,3-Bisphosphoglycerate (2,3-BPG, also known as 2,3-diphosphoglycerate or 2,3-DPG) is a three carbon isomer of the glycolytic intermediate1,3-bisphosphoglycerate. 2,3-BPG ispresent in human red blood cells (RBC; erythrocyte) atapproximately 5 mmol/L. It binds with greater affinity to deoxygenated hemoglobin (e.g. when the red cell is near respiring tissue) than it does to oxygenatedhemoglobin (e.g. in the lungs). In bonding to partially deoxygenated hemoglobin it allosterically upregulates the release of the remaining oxygen molecules bound to the hemoglobin, thus enhancing the ability of RBCs torelease oxygen near tissues that need it most.

Recently, scientists have found similarities between low amounts of 2,3-BPG with the occurrence of HAPE at high altitudes.

2,3-BPG lowers oxygens affinity for hemoglobin facilitating dumping to tissues. People who live in higher altitudes have higher levels of 2,3 BPG, so theyrelease oxygen faster to their muscles and peripheral tissues from hemoglobin...hence some athletes practicing at high altitudes. It doesn't make youstronger persay, it does give you better endurance.

eek.gif
I'm moving to Denver Mount Everest. Good looksAnton.

I dont know the WebMD answer but when I was in Tibet the old people there were walkin up and down stairs in the palaces and walkin up and down through the citywith ease!..... I could dame sure feel the effects though, it was just harder to move period, like you said becuase they lived there they adapted but theamount of walkin they do daily (for religouos reasons) is absurd and leads me to think they were healthier... like walkin through the palaces creep keeper OLDppl were really cruising pass me
smh.gif
.... I think they are in theory... like if they stayed temporarily they would be stylin on us but if they stayed out thehigh altitude long enough they would fall off to our level

Back
Top Bottom