Question about Soccer for fanatics/casual fans/haters.

I want everyones perspective on this. Something about soccer has always bothered me and i wanted everyones take. So we just witnessed the CL final, and itended in a shootout. Does anyone else find shootouts in soccer to be a ridiculous way to end the game. Take this CL final game for example. It was a hardfought battle throughout the game, and the entire season rides on a shootout. I mean...really? A shootout? Why cant we just do overtime, then double overtime,then triple....and so on. It would be like game 7 of the World Series being tied at the completion of nine innings, and the game would then be determined by ahome run derby. Or game 7 of the NBA finals being determined by a 3 point contest. I just dont understand how a game, especially a championship game can bedecided by a shootout. Thoughts?

I was actually talking about this same thing yesterday. I think it's a terrible way to end a game.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

think of it as free throws
A free throw contest after regulation. Free throws during the 4th quarter is NOT the same thing as a shootout, sorry.

well normally a soccer game is 90 mins

correct me if i am wrong

they are tied at the end of regulation

so they extend it to 120 mins

they are still tied..

so why not decide it on penalty kicks

scoring a goal is not easy and doesnt happen as often

A soccer game lasts 90 minutes, then 2 overtime periods of 15 minutes apiece for a total of 120 minutes of running.There's no way that
you can expect the players to keep on playing overtimes and expect the play to still be of a good quality in my opinion.A shootout may not seem
to be the best way to decide things but its fair and I have yet to hear a better way to end the games.And most soccer games can end in ties and alot do,it's just the ones where there is something on the line that this happens.

Originally Posted by gabers

There's no way that you can expect the players to keep on playing overtimes and expect the play to still be of a good quality in my opinion.

Especially when you're limited by the # of substitutions allowed during the game.

Originally Posted by YardFather

I was actually talking about this same thing yesterday. I think it's a terrible way to end a game.

if you guys noticed damn near everyone cramping up in the last few minutes of ET, then you would understand why. these dudes dont skip around like they doon a BBall court, stand idle for long periods of time like on a baseball diamond, or have 30 minute long time outs like in the NFL.

its a COMPLETELY different beast, this is why it doesnt go beyond 2 periods of ET, it would be downright awful and impractical to even consider it.

I don't like when games are decided by shootouts either, but you can't exactly make the players run more than they did throughout the 120 minutes.. Twothings I think they should do:

1. The Golden Goal rule - they had this, but removed it. I think they should reintroduce it. It will slightly decrease the chances of a shootout - not that itwould've helped in the Man U - Chelsea game, but it would help in some games. Plus it would make the extra time even more exciting and make the playerslook for the winning goal even more. I know some would say the opposite, that it would make teams more defensively orientated in fear of that the other teammight score a golden goal on them, but I think the opposite would mostly be the case.
2. If it does come to a shootout, there should be 7, not 5 penalties taken before they go to sudden death, to decrease the element of luck that a singlemissed/saved penalty makes.

It's a crap way to end a game, especially a final, but it's the only way.

The players would die if you kept adding extra time.

On a tangent.

The most successful country at penalties is Germany, they win 87%

One of the most unsuccessful England we win about 18%

One of the best penalty takers ever Matt Le Tissier

There area of the goal that no keeper can get to is about 27%

(All those stats are from memory and are more or less correct lol)

Originally Posted by mmagic1

The most successful country at penalties is Germany, they win 87%

Germans are mad efficient. I remember the quarter final match against Argentina in the World Cup, the German goalkeeper had a piece of paper with all theinfo on what side what player from Argentina usually shoots on and Germany won the shootout. I can't believe England keep getting into so many PK shootoutsand they keep losing. They should know that it's a possibility that they might get into a shootout by now and they should practice them to the extreme.

Originally Posted by rickybadman

It is part of the game, a tradition. I hate now that this game ended in penalty kicks all these sports writers especially in the U.S are coming down on the rule; guess what know one gives a crap what their opinion is, I even liked when the overtimes where "golden goal", FIFA took that away and I would be pissed if they took away penalty kicks. There is nothing wrong with penalties, in fact they make the game more exciting. Also the NHL has become more shootout friendly recently to make the game more exciting. Because they don't understand the game they want to change it, classic U.S "soccer mom" mentality, always with the: "both teams played so hard, why does the game have to end like that" nonsense. One team has to win and one has to lose--deal with it

Aside from your slight jabs at my American countrymen and soccer moms, I agree 100%
laugh.gif

PK shootouts are apart of the game - just like my coaches used to tell us, "If you don't like PKs, finish all the chances you have inregulation." (hint hint : TEVEZ!)

They better not change a thing.

word, professional or not after 90 - 100 Min you get tirednfrom constant running. Word to my high school varsity days...

Soccer is different because the more tired the players are, it gets dramatically LESS likely for scoring to happen. After 120 minutes, the goalie will be theleast tired of all the players, and defense will get more and more inpenetrable. One proposition would be to start reducing the number of players on the fieldto allow freak goals to happen, but this makes it even less likely for scoring since you aren't going to take out the goalie. And the goalie will not betired. Also Im sure you can understand that subbing in your scrubs doesn't help the likelihood of scoring.

In short, there is no easy solution. PK - It's basically punishment for not taking care of business during regulation.

yeah... pretty much like what a few guys said... its part of the tradition... and while many will agree (as do I) its a very cruel way to decide the title, itsprobably the only way... after 90mins, each of the players probably would have covered a distance of around 10k (yes, 10k per player)... throw in 30mins ofextra time, I don't think its physically possible to go beyond that and still have quality football... they had 120mins to decide a winner andcouldn't... penalties are the only way to go...

I dont like how it ends in a shootout, but it is the only way for soccer.

Hockey on the other hand, should still have tied games after 5 minutes of overtime. I loved that. The shootout business is nonsense. You actually deserve towin the game if you play as the better team for those 5 minutes, not if just your goalie gets beat on a shot from 3 inches away from him.

I hate the shootout rule, but for soccer, after 120 minutes, needs to be done.

Ever since World Cup 94 I've hated penalty shootouts, they're such a crap way to end the game. They'd be better off flipping a coin to determinethe winner of the match.

I think FIFA needs to explore some options in order to improve the game. I dont know too many people who are opposed to Golden Goal (1st goal in extra timewins). It worked out great in the 02 World Cup.

Another solution would be to increase the allowed substitutions in extra time. Give each team 3 more subs after 90 minutes.

I'm personally tired of seeing matches go into extra time and watching 22 crippled players hobble around for 30 mins. waiting for the shootout to arrive.

yeah i also think penalty kicks are a terrible way to end a game... soccer relies heavily on team play and it sucks to see individuals blamed for a missedgoal...

im not a big soccer fan, but i do watch the world cup and some international matches every once in awhile... do they ever use that golden goal? first goalafter the OT wins the match? or is that just a fifa thing
laugh.gif

btw fifa 08
pimp.gif

they cant have guys passing out on the pitch during play if they kept going for more ET. they just played 2 hours of nonstop football. no timeouts and hardlyany stoppage.

because in the other sports the players are not nearly as tired as to compared to soccer....you have no ideal how exhausting soccer is....by the end of thefist extra time your body starts to give out on you.

i was blown away when that dork on espn (i don't even know his name that's how insignificant he is) actually mentioned this to tommy smyth after thechampion's league final about how they should consider changing the game. for what?

the fact of the matter is that no way in hell would any football-loving nation allow this to happen at the suggestion of people who've never reallyappreciated or watched the sport to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom