Question about storing shoes?

I've seen pictures of shoes kept in plastic zip loch bags and some kept in what looks like saran wrap.. so just wondering which method some of you feel would preserve the shoes more and keep them in better condition? and your opinion on putting silica packs in the shoe boxes and the method in doing this? and im sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this quesiton... I couldnt find anywhere else mentioning it. And Im currently keeping all my shoes in zip loch bags.. but I have a couple pairs that I want to keep extremly well preserved ..

I've seen pictures of shoes kept in plastic zip loch bags and some kept in what looks like saran wrap.. so just wondering which method some of you feel would preserve the shoes more and keep them in better condition? and your opinion on putting silica packs in the shoe boxes and the method in doing this? and im sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this quesiton... I couldnt find anywhere else mentioning it. And Im currently keeping all my shoes in zip loch bags.. but I have a couple pairs that I want to keep extremly well preserved ..

Well, ive collected and stored shoes for more than a decade now, and honestly the best way is just to keep them in the box they came in, sans tissue paper. Also a bookshelf works pretty well too if it has the right dimensions. The only thing that would be better than the box would be an argon filled, temperature controlled, hermetically sealed steel box. Basically the same thing they keep the declaration of independance in. Now, I havent tried that one, but its an option if your insane.

Never put them in air tight anything, it will just rot them 3x faster. Same thing goes for silica packs unless the humidity in your storage area is like 100%. Depending on the materials, shoes will age at different rates. Direct sunlight is a no no of course. Beware of polyurethane midsoles, they rot because of hydrolysis, and it cant be stopped really save the insane option. If its phylon, your good to go. Synthetic leather will eventually dry out, crack and flake off also. I would suggest that you read about how museums store thier stuff and apply that to your collection, since they deal with things alot older and far more fragile than vintage nikes. Now I dunno how the newer synthetics and plastics will age, but I would bet not well. I can already see shoes like the hyperdunks today, in a decade or so, shattering with a single step.

Thats what ive learned in the past 15 years, anyway. Take from it what you want.

Well, ive collected and stored shoes for more than a decade now, and honestly the best way is just to keep them in the box they came in, sans tissue paper. Also a bookshelf works pretty well too if it has the right dimensions. The only thing that would be better than the box would be an argon filled, temperature controlled, hermetically sealed steel box. Basically the same thing they keep the declaration of independance in. Now, I havent tried that one, but its an option if your insane.

Never put them in air tight anything, it will just rot them 3x faster. Same thing goes for silica packs unless the humidity in your storage area is like 100%. Depending on the materials, shoes will age at different rates. Direct sunlight is a no no of course. Beware of polyurethane midsoles, they rot because of hydrolysis, and it cant be stopped really save the insane option. If its phylon, your good to go. Synthetic leather will eventually dry out, crack and flake off also. I would suggest that you read about how museums store thier stuff and apply that to your collection, since they deal with things alot older and far more fragile than vintage nikes. Now I dunno how the newer synthetics and plastics will age, but I would bet not well. I can already see shoes like the hyperdunks today, in a decade or so, shattering with a single step.

Thats what ive learned in the past 15 years, anyway. Take from it what you want.

"Beware of polyurethane midsoles"

example? never came across this or didnt know the midsole was that???

"Beware of polyurethane midsoles"

example? never came across this or didnt know the midsole was that???

revivedzack - only one of those in my collection pic are og, and im hanging onto those. =) Tho I am selling off 70% of my total collection, have way too many.

jthagreat - Examples are numerous, command forces, ballistic forces, force 180's, nearly all pre 1996 basketball shoes, many 90's running shoes, some turf shoes pre 97, etc. Retros also, like griffey 1's are polyurethane if the og was also. Nearly everyting with an air bubble also has some poly fill in it too, thats why they cloud up over time. They dont use it tons anymore that I can see, instead going with more synthetic materials, which as I said may or may not age any better than poly would. Poly is mainly a concern for shoes over 10 years of age.

Realise that nike doesent make kicks to last decades anyhow, they fall apart after awhile on purpose so youll have to buy more, its a common industry practice called planned obsolesence, applies to cars, computers, basically anything and everything to some degree. And since the rate of change in civilization increases over time, older shoes will prolly outlast newer ones, and ones in the future less time than that as they continually use newer, cheaper and less durable materials to keep prices in step with costs and inflation. If you have a decent sample of the past 20 years of nikes shoes and can examine them you can see the marked decline in quality. Its the old saying of 'they dont make em like they used to', well no, they dont, and its not always for the better, at least not until nike wakes up and gets thier act together.

Personally im holding out for the 2015 air mag's!

revivedzack - only one of those in my collection pic are og, and im hanging onto those. =) Tho I am selling off 70% of my total collection, have way too many.

jthagreat - Examples are numerous, command forces, ballistic forces, force 180's, nearly all pre 1996 basketball shoes, many 90's running shoes, some turf shoes pre 97, etc. Retros also, like griffey 1's are polyurethane if the og was also. Nearly everyting with an air bubble also has some poly fill in it too, thats why they cloud up over time. They dont use it tons anymore that I can see, instead going with more synthetic materials, which as I said may or may not age any better than poly would. Poly is mainly a concern for shoes over 10 years of age.

Realise that nike doesent make kicks to last decades anyhow, they fall apart after awhile on purpose so youll have to buy more, its a common industry practice called planned obsolesence, applies to cars, computers, basically anything and everything to some degree. And since the rate of change in civilization increases over time, older shoes will prolly outlast newer ones, and ones in the future less time than that as they continually use newer, cheaper and less durable materials to keep prices in step with costs and inflation. If you have a decent sample of the past 20 years of nikes shoes and can examine them you can see the marked decline in quality. Its the old saying of 'they dont make em like they used to', well no, they dont, and its not always for the better, at least not until nike wakes up and gets thier act together.

Personally im holding out for the 2015 air mag's!

Trydan - So just stick the shoes in the closet, no ziplocs or silica packs? Just asking b/c I've tried various ways to keep kicks stashed. Never for longer than a year or two though.

I've always read that the tissue paper also leads to discoloration of midsoles. Is that true from your experience?

Trydan - So just stick the shoes in the closet, no ziplocs or silica packs? Just asking b/c I've tried various ways to keep kicks stashed. Never for longer than a year or two though.

I've always read that the tissue paper also leads to discoloration of midsoles. Is that true from your experience?

johngotty - No silica packs unless your storage environment is prone to mildew or abnormally high humidity. Ive never used them at all personally. If your concerned about smell just get a box of baking soda. Ziplocs really cant do anything for you except waterproof your kicks on a short term basis, they will still gather condensation on the inside tho and if the shoes are old, they are prolly decomposing also and giving off byproducts that will fill up the bag and possibly accelerate the whole process. Sealing shoes up (unless its the insane option I mentioned) is the worst thing you can do to them, I know it works with food, but unless your gonna boil up your jordans for dinner its a bad idea. That also applies to plastic containers that arent ziplocs too, cause ive tried that myself and I wish I hadent. I keep mine half in the closet in regular nike boxes for storage and half on bookshelves for the ones I wear more often. Tissue paper I always toss just because its a mess to deal with and will eventually fall apart and become an even bigger mess. Nearly all paper has some level of acid in it, and thats what could discolor your midsoles, white paper the most cause thats how they got it white in the first place.

To put all this in perspective, you should realise that kicks are perishable, and will only be wearable for so long and only hold together somehwat longer than that. Enjoy them while you can, wear them while you can, and when you cant, put them on the shelf and appreciate them for what they are, works of art.

johngotty - No silica packs unless your storage environment is prone to mildew or abnormally high humidity. Ive never used them at all personally. If your concerned about smell just get a box of baking soda. Ziplocs really cant do anything for you except waterproof your kicks on a short term basis, they will still gather condensation on the inside tho and if the shoes are old, they are prolly decomposing also and giving off byproducts that will fill up the bag and possibly accelerate the whole process. Sealing shoes up (unless its the insane option I mentioned) is the worst thing you can do to them, I know it works with food, but unless your gonna boil up your jordans for dinner its a bad idea. That also applies to plastic containers that arent ziplocs too, cause ive tried that myself and I wish I hadent. I keep mine half in the closet in regular nike boxes for storage and half on bookshelves for the ones I wear more often. Tissue paper I always toss just because its a mess to deal with and will eventually fall apart and become an even bigger mess. Nearly all paper has some level of acid in it, and thats what could discolor your midsoles, white paper the most cause thats how they got it white in the first place.

To put all this in perspective, you should realise that kicks are perishable, and will only be wearable for so long and only hold together somehwat longer than that. Enjoy them while you can, wear them while you can, and when you cant, put them on the shelf and appreciate them for what they are, works of art.

i just fill my closet and bookshelves up with my shoes in the original box. if ur going to use the packets...i recommend giving them some air everynow and then. i also clean the shoe with a leather conditioner/cleaner or a random shoe cleaner i have to remoisturize the leather after every use. sometimes after every other use. this is my first post. (i forgot i even had an acc) long time niketalk reader too hahaha. good luck! 

i just fill my closet and bookshelves up with my shoes in the original box. if ur going to use the packets...i recommend giving them some air everynow and then. i also clean the shoe with a leather conditioner/cleaner or a random shoe cleaner i have to remoisturize the leather after every use. sometimes after every other use. this is my first post. (i forgot i even had an acc) long time niketalk reader too hahaha. good luck! 

Back
Top Bottom