Question for Nike Basketball Shoe heads. ( zoom bb2 )

Does anyone feel like the zoom bb2 offers very poor ankle protection, while being a pretty high cut. Also, the zoom cushion being responsive it offered verylittle support. anyone know how thick the bag is ( 6mm?) I feel more ankle protection in my kobe iv's honestly.

actually, i feel the bb2s have great ankle support. that triangle design on the ankles feels like it's trying to prevent ankle rolling.
the midsole in the zoom bb line pretty much only consists of a full-length zoom air bag. i'm not sure how large it is but regardless, that's all thatis in the midsole. it's a minimal, no-frills bball shoe.
my only problem is that the cushioning is a bit lacking. sometimes after a hard landing or hard heel strike my heel feels like it touches the floor. and as aresult, my heels get bruised. right now the outside my left heel it bruised from hard heel strike lol.

thanks for the input. I definitely feel the lack of impact protection as well. I guess is built for ultra quick guards that dont jump and just run around. Theankle protection feels like the material from the older generation nikes, which was essential a piece of shaped cardboard or thin plastic. A heel counter wouldbe great!

Originally Posted by cbfpunch

actually, i feel the bb2s have great ankle support. that triangle design on the ankles feels like it's trying to prevent ankle rolling.
the midsole in the zoom bb line pretty much only consists of a full-length zoom air bag. i'm not sure how large it is but regardless, that's all that is in the midsole. it's a minimal, no-frills bball shoe.
my only problem is that the cushioning is a bit lacking. sometimes after a hard landing or hard heel strike my heel feels like it touches the floor. and as a result, my heels get bruised. right now the outside my left heel it bruised from hard heel strike lol.
i had the same problem with my pair, my heel touching the ground almost, but i put one of the sof sole athelete insoles and they are incredible

I think the BB2's offered MUCH less responsiveness than the BB1 and BB3. It had ankle protection but support not really...

Concept good.. Design nice.. execution for performance... not really. They got it right with the BB1 and BB3. This should be a model they release yearly withfew tweaks to the design, as it happens with running shoes, so customers are loyal to the product and keep returning.

after my last run with my bb2s, i put in insoles from my dunk premiums in there. the insoles from the dunk premiums have a zoom air bag in the heel. do youthink sof sole insoles are better?

edit: nvm i compared them myself. the athletic sof sole insoles seem to fix the cushioning issue though it does put my feet a little higher off the ground.

my only problem is that the cushioning is a bit lacking. sometimes after a hard landing or hard heel strike my heel feels like it touches the floor. and as a result, my heels get bruised. right now the outside my left heel it bruised from hard heel strike lol.
The zoom bottoming out on hard landings happens to me in ALL the time in full length zoom based shoes. REASON: Nike saving money and putting inpaper thin insoles with two blue cushion pads (forefoot and heal) = garbage! SOLUTION: Throw out the insoles, and upgrade to Softsol AIR insoles and experiencethe difference. Since I swapped these in I haven't bottomed out ... I think it's actually impossible to bottom out with these in IMHO. Just balled inmy black pair last night with absolutely zero problems; major upgrade! Just my 2 cents.

^ thanks hardaway. i think i might actually give them a try.

I don't know where you live, but Footaction has them here in NY. It will make your shoe a little tighter because the Softsol AIRR (get this onespecifically) insole is thicker than that crap Nike insole, but the difference is night and day! And the best part is that I haven't had a heal bruisesince I added them in, and I have had some hard impacts
laugh.gif

^ queens. i was actually thinking of making a trip to queens center to see if they got them there, namely finishline. do you know if they have them there? welli should give them a call anyway. i see them on the finishline site for $25. i have the athletic sof soles in a sz 9-10.5 and my bb2s are an 8.5 and they fitin there just fine. would you say the different sof sole insoles run the same size?

^^ Finishline is where I got them from not footaction sorry about that. The other softsols I didn't try becuase they felt too mushy. The AIRR felt muchmore stable and natural to me. Give them a try, they fit and felt better than those green insoles from Footlocker!

Aftermarket insoles with air bags... looks pretty interesting.

How thick are these at the heel and at the forefoot?

xl17007non.jpg

^^ The front is gel (it's sticky too lol) but the heel area is an air unit. You can feel the air in the heel, but it's not as bulky as you would think,but it is thicker than regular nike insoles. If you ball in shoes a half size down, or very close fit, these might not be for you. I tested these on a hardflat surface and jumped up and down on them, and they did absorb the shock very well. Made me wonder why Nike didn't think of this first?

Thanks, do you think you can measure the thickness with a ruler? Or take a picture next to a regular insole?

the air insole is great if its a lot of high impact activity, but if you're are walking they get annoying or a slight run, the athlete works great in allsituations and are $5 cheaper

Originally Posted by Hardaway33

^^ The front is gel (it's sticky too lol) but the heel area is an air unit. You can feel the air in the heel, but it's not as bulky as you would think, but it is thicker than regular nike insoles. If you ball in shoes a half size down, or very close fit, these might not be for you. I tested these on a hard flat surface and jumped up and down on them, and they did absorb the shock very well. Made me wonder why Nike didn't think of this first?
I don't get this either. They sell everything else, and they already make Zoom insoles (I also remember a pair of original Delta's fromthe 80's that had a blue air max bag under the heel attached to the insole), so it should not be a problem. I have heard the argument that it will drivenew shoe sales down because people could just by new insoles instead, but they could do that now.

Keon.. did you post the link to where those insoles could be found or did I miss it. THose look great... especially for folks who hate lunar but a forefoot bagwould be even better eh?

Rock,

Here's the link for the Sof Sole Airr's on Finishline.com

Yep, a forefoot bag would be good. But it would be even better if Nike just didn't use Lunar foam in the first place, then you wouldn't need to buyaftermarket insoles to counter the bottoming out to begin with.

Originally Posted by JLking

Hardaway: You think this softsol AIR insole would work in the hyperdunks?

I don't know I have never owned a pair of Hyperdunks. If it has a regular insole I guess it could work.

to me, the zoom bb2 has very weak ankle support for a very high cut, restrictive shoe. i think the back of the shoe cuts down on ankle flexibility sooo much,yet it does nothing as far as making the shoe feel more secure.

i should probably start balling in lows since ankle support doesn't bother me much in terms of flexibility. just see how much i praise the huarache 09s andsee how much ankle support they have lol.

thanks for all the input, yeah those insoles look interesting. But to buy insoles and ankle braces to complement this shoe, sort of negates the price tag ofthe sneaker itself.

Back
Top Bottom