Question involving checks and bank accounts etc

NT i need your help. i just made a sale for something worth $250 \. the buyer sends me a check of 3800 dollars and said deposit it into my bank account andsend back the rest. my question is, if i deposit the $3800, and send him back the $3550 is there any chance that i would've been scammed? assuming that iwill send him the item and the $3550 back. he said to wait for the check to clear, im not very familiar with banks so if the check "clears" does thatmean that i will definitely have the money that was on the check or is there a way for the money from the check to disappear ?

thanks NT

i work for a credit union and this is the most popular scam. if you deposit the check you will lose the item you sold and end up owing the bank the $3800 andI'm assuming you cannot afford to pay a bank $3800 because your question alone concerns me that you might be a bit young and naive

^ yes, basically summed it up for me. so what should i do with the check ? and what do i tell the buyer ?

Wow are you really that naive ? when something like this happen , Never sell anything or deposit anything to your bank account. It should come as a red alertwarning whenever someone give you a check of 3800 and tell you to send portion of it back to him.

I hope you didn't do it yet or you are definitely gonna take a huge L out of this
laugh.gif

nah i didnt do it yet. this was actually my first sale that wasnt a pickup and i was just trying to make sure that this was actually a scam. thanks NT, i willnot deposit the check and will tell the buyer the situation.

oh and if anyones interested heres what the guy had to say:

To: James Liu <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2009 5:34:17 PM
Subject: Re: LET ME KNOW...:

I just got your email. Am highly disappointed in you, how you feel concerning this transaction. For your information am a devoted christian and a honest man,according to my job. Have deal with different people around the world. According to the bible,i don't cheat on my fellow human. I do understand yourpostion but i want to assure you that the check is good and legitimate, as you also aware that the check was sent via my client i trusted him because heʼs aGod fearing and honest man. With utmost honesty and sincerity i will advice you to take the check to the check cashing place and get it cashed. Once again i amassuring you that this transaction is legal. You have my word. Thanks for your understanding. Hope to hearfrom you soon.

Sorry my client will not be able to makeout another check to you. However i will like you to take the check to a check cashing place and get it cashed. I wasmade to understand that the check cashing place will charge you some amount of money for cashing the check, you can deduct the charges from the balance. Pleasemake sure you get it done today so that we can make all necessary arrangement without any delay.

--- On Tue, 7/7/09, James Liu <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Re: LET ME KNOW.
To: "Larry Carlton" <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, July 7, 2009, 12:17 AM

hi, i dont exactly have a bank account and my parents are not going to deposit the check unless it is the exact amount that i asked for, so is there any chancethat i can send the check back and you send me a check with the exact amount or a Money Order ? sorry for the inconvenience, i will not take any money from youfrom the check. please be assured.

To: James Liu <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2009 5:02:35 PM
Subject: Re: LET ME KNOW...:

Thanks for the update. However i will be contacting the shipping broker immediately to schedule the pick-up asap. I will get back to you with the shippingdetails. All you have to do is to deduct your 250 dollars and send the remaining 3550 dollars to the shipping broker because my client also have some otheritems to pick-up and he haven't pay for some. I will get back to you as soon as i hear from the shipping broker. Talk to you soon.

homie do yourself a favor and burn the check and never deal with monetary instruments when selling stuff over the net. that includes money orders, cashierchecks, traveler cheques, etc. i seen all of those items as forgeries and counterfeit. real talk, only deal with verified paypal customers when it comes downto it. it's 2009, if folks don't have a paypal account then they're setting themselves up to be scammed. if it's a last ditch effort accept awestern union transfer for payment but draw the line. and international sales are a red flag for regular round-a-bout items

Back
Top Bottom