Question To My Black & Other Ethnic Nt'ers Vol. College...

i was used to it all through school so by the time i got to college it was no big deal. you still noticed it though. I went to a huge high school, and a mid size university (17K students) Blacks made up 4% of the population and like, 0.00045% of the engineering dept
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by solarius49

When I joined the Marines was the 1st time I've ever heard the N-word from a white person....we fought. I've met several people who said that I'm the 1st black person they've ever met, and plenty more people have said that I dont act like "most black people". My high school was 65% black, so its pretty wild for me

did they use it in an offensive context? or was it in a casual way?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by SFC415

Originally Posted by thisizdray

Can't tell if trolling....
Dead serious. Go to the UCSB course catalog ->Chicano Studies->Barrio Popular Culture .if you don't believe me. If you think I'm being a racist troll, I'll look for my old lecture notes/handouts and scan them. The course syllabus made it sound like a real study on Latino culture; the class itself was just ridiculous though.
Barrio Popular Culture though?
roll.gif

spent 2 days watching a movie on rival taco truck groups backstabbing each other to get permits
30t6p3b.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

Originally Posted by solarius49

When I joined the Marines was the 1st time I've ever heard the N-word from a white person....we fought. I've met several people who said that I'm the 1st black person they've ever met, and plenty more people have said that I dont act like "most black people". My high school was 65% black, so its pretty wild for me

did they use it in an offensive context? or was it in a casual way?
no, it had the "er" on the end.

I never really felt anything in my classes. Maybe my school and my classes were more diverse. There were maybe 3-4 times in my time in college where I can remember being the only nonwhite person in my classes but I didn't think anything of it. Just did my thing and moved on.

Originally Posted by Yeah

Originally Posted by JVII

Why would you even do that to yourself though?
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but my sentiments exactly.

roll.gif
Try being a white dude in a Latino Studies class with a feminist professor...dear lord...I (and the few other white people who had the misfortune of taking this course) was pretty much single handedly blamed for Latinas who didn't want to embrace obesity (she said that the ancient Mayans/Incas were fat, so fat Mexican girls trying to lose weight were falling to the pressure of the white man, which made all the hoodrats in the class applaud the professor
laugh.gif
), Latinas dying their hair blonde and posing for lowrider magazine, Selena's music not being popular outside the Latino community, lowriders with decals not being allowed to cruise around neighborhoods, taco trucks being scarce, etc. I mean I acknowledge that there are issues that white people have caused for Latinos, but THESE? what the @#%#
roll.gif
I addressed the weight issue by saying that "Girls who do that are just trying to take care of their bodies" to which the professor snapped back "BUT THEIR BODIES ARE PERFECT! IF THE SLIM, BLONDE HAIRED, BLUE EYED IDEAL DIDN'T EXIST, THESE GIRLS WOULDN'T BE OVERWEIGHT"
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I HAD to take this course to graduate because I needed a cultural GE requirement, and this was the only course available during my last quarter of college. "Barrio Studies 145"
sick.gif
roll.gif
Got a C- in this class while all the hoodrats who took remedial math 3 times got As
What do you mean by hoodrats? How do you know how many times they took math and what grades they got?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Chato

I never really felt anything in my classes. Maybe my school and my classes were more diverse. There were maybe 3-4 times in my time in college where I can remember being the only nonwhite person in my classes but I didn't think anything of it. Just did my thing and moved on.

Originally Posted by Yeah

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but my sentiments exactly.

roll.gif
Try being a white dude in a Latino Studies class with a feminist professor...dear lord...I (and the few other white people who had the misfortune of taking this course) was pretty much single handedly blamed for Latinas who didn't want to embrace obesity (she said that the ancient Mayans/Incas were fat, so fat Mexican girls trying to lose weight were falling to the pressure of the white man, which made all the hoodrats in the class applaud the professor
laugh.gif
), Latinas dying their hair blonde and posing for lowrider magazine, Selena's music not being popular outside the Latino community, lowriders with decals not being allowed to cruise around neighborhoods, taco trucks being scarce, etc. I mean I acknowledge that there are issues that white people have caused for Latinos, but THESE? what the @#%#
roll.gif
I addressed the weight issue by saying that "Girls who do that are just trying to take care of their bodies" to which the professor snapped back "BUT THEIR BODIES ARE PERFECT! IF THE SLIM, BLONDE HAIRED, BLUE EYED IDEAL DIDN'T EXIST, THESE GIRLS WOULDN'T BE OVERWEIGHT"
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I HAD to take this course to graduate because I needed a cultural GE requirement, and this was the only course available during my last quarter of college. "Barrio Studies 145"
sick.gif
roll.gif
Got a C- in this class while all the hoodrats who took remedial math 3 times got As
What do you mean by hoodrats? How do you know how many times they took math and what grades they got?
nerd.gif
 I knew these girls because I was on their floor freshman year. One girl failed introductory math (some easy @#$ pre-calc course), retook it with pass/no pass option and barely passed after cheating off my friend, but had to take it again because her major required to have it as a letter grade 
laugh.gif
By hoodrats, I mean hoodrats. Normal girls don't make it their life mission to fail every class but get an A in barrio studies, a class which focuses on lowriders, promoting obesity, and taco trucks. Stop reaching for racism, I know what you're implying with that "
nerd.gif
".

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

how small was your school/program that you were the only black guy in all your classes?

University of Arizona (about 40,000 students)
one of 2 black workers in a chemistry department (300+employees)

Originally Posted by Chato

laugh.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

sick.gif
roll.gif
nerd.gif
 I knew these girls because I was on their floor freshman year. One girl failed introductory math (some easy @#$ pre-calc course), retook it with pass/no pass option and barely passed after cheating off my friend, but had to take it again because her major required to have it as a letter grade 
laugh.gif
By hoodrats, I mean hoodrats. Normal girls don't make it their life mission to fail every class but get an A in barrio studies, a class which focuses on lowriders, promoting obesity, and taco trucks. Stop reaching for racism, I know what you're implying with that "
nerd.gif
".
I wasn't implying anything of that sort with the
nerd.gif
, just using it to show that I was focusing on a few select words that seemed to have gone overlooked. I wanted you to explain what you meant by "!%+%@$+". What is a !%+%@$+ to you might just be a girl struggling to adapt to the stresses of college life along with other unseen social forces. You seemed to try and diminish her and other people's accomplishments by labeling them as hoodrats.
Your experience in the class was unfortunate if you personally came out feeling blamed for the social injustices of the past. I had an overzealous professor who made things a bit personal at times.

It's uncomfortable sometimes. But even in high school I was the only black male in a lot of my AP classes so I'm mostly used to it.

I just hate it when people try to talk 'black' to me as if I'm some kind of space alien with no grasp of English or something...had one Hispanic cat ask me if I 'had a shawty' like I'm TI or something 
eyes.gif

FWIW I go to Arizona State 

Chato wrote:
nerd.gif
, just using it to show that I was focusing on a few select words that seemed to have gone overlooked. I wanted you to explain what you meant by "!%+%@$+". What is a !%+%@$+ to you might just be a girl struggling to adapt to the stresses of college life along with other unseen social forces. You seemed to try and diminish her and other people's accomplishments by labeling them as hoodrats.
Your experience in the class was unfortunate if you personally came out feeling blamed for the social injustices of the past. I had an overzealous professor who made things a bit personal at times.

My bad, I just had someone PM me with racial insults,  so I made that assumption
laugh.gif
. But you seriously have no idea who these girls are and what they're like. As I said, I lived on the same floor with these girls for an entire year, so I always saw them at the same parties, classes (when they would show up), etc. The "struggling" girls are not who I am referring to. The girls I mentioned spent 95% of their time in sororities filled with similar women and did absolutely nothing but drink, eat, and @#$% dudes every night while spending their financial aid money on everything besides education (yes there are white girls who did the exact same thing and flunked out of classes like Introduction to Sociology, but I was only talking about this specific course) . This class was the only class they would show up to and actually put in any effort.

As for social injustices, that's not what was actually discussed in the class. I mentioned before that I thought I would gain a better perspective on issues in the Latino community by taking this class, instead I got 50 minute rants on why white people are the reason why there aren't enough taco trucks or lowriders in the streets. But yeah, I did feel victimized
laugh.gif
. There were maybe 3 other white people in the class, and we were constantly disrespected by the professor and other students. All of our opinions and statements were shut down by the professor and the girls who would whistle and applaud her ignorant statements. The essay prompts, midterms, and final exams were all based on her idiotic ideas (for example, there was a 6 page essay in which we had to write how Selena influenced our lives). I would've filed a complaint, but I ignored it because I was almost done with school anyways.

I know it's hard to imagine hoodrats at a "white" school like UCSB, and you probably think I'm exagerrating, but trust me if you visit there one day you'll be surprised 
laugh.gif

Chato wrote:
nerd.gif

My bad, I just had someone PM me with racial insults,  so I made that assumption
laugh.gif
. But you seriously have no idea who these girls are and what they're like. As I said, I lived on the same floor with these girls for an entire year, so I always saw them at the same parties, classes (when they would show up), etc. The "struggling" girls are not who I am referring to. The girls I mentioned spent 95% of their time in sororities filled with similar women and did absolutely nothing but drink, eat, and @#$% dudes every night while spending their financial aid money on everything besides education (yes there are white girls who did the exact same thing and flunked out of classes like Introduction to Sociology, but I was only talking about this specific course) . This class was the only class they would show up to and actually put in any effort.

As for social injustices, that's not what was actually discussed in the class. I mentioned before that I thought I would gain a better perspective on issues in the Latino community by taking this class, instead I got 50 minute rants on why white people are the reason why there aren't enough taco trucks or lowriders in the streets. But yeah, I did feel singled out and victimized. There were maybe 3 other white people in the class, and we were constantly disrespected by the professor and other students. All of our opinions and statements were shut down by the professor and the girls who would whistle and applaud her ignorant statements. I would've filed a complaint, but I ignored it because I was almost done with school anyways.

I know it's hard to imagine hoodrats at a "white" school like UCSB, and you probably think I'm exagerrating, but trust me if you visit there one day you'll be surprised 
laugh.gif

That's a shame. I feel there is a large number of sociology professors out there are just looking for their opinion's to be parroted back to them instead of helping people understand a new perspective. I had a wild intro to pop culture class where the essay portion of tests seemed to penalize opinions the professor didn't agree with.
I understand what you mean now with the sorority girls, and it's unfortunate they decided to take that route in life in college.

Going slightly further off topic from OP, It is interesting that the singular form of "hoodrats" is censored but not the plural.

I don't mind it given the areas I was in where this has happened to me.

Originally Posted by youngdoc

Originally Posted by ricky409

I came into college at 6'2 and about 170 lbs with no muscles and still had folks asking me if I played for the football team

This was at Stanford which is 50% non-white and had a 10% black pop when I was there. Most of us weren't athletes

... but you were at Stanford, doe.... that's different
elaborate

we all know racism and stereotypes stem from ignorance and poverty. For instance, if you never been outside of you're neighborhood, you tend to pass judgement on everything outside of your spot.
dont get me wrong. there are some smart, rich racists... but people who dont KNOW will make something up.

at Stanford, its safe to assume you're either A. pretty smart or B. pretty paid.

most of these people have traveled, seen things, read books, and make decisions based on what THEY see, not what others tell them. This lowers the racism, and raises understanding that not all people are the same. you dont judge people b/c since you've traveled and seen things... you know that what you see is not always what it is..

that's why is say there, it's different...  Go to an HBCU where academics arent stressed... or a community college where the people that grew up there go to school there... they'll have a different outlook on the world b/c they tend to just take what's given to them..

It was uncomfortable at first my freshman but then I got use to it and even thrived in certain situations after it.  From being raised in PG County, MD (all-black) to arriving on campus and being 1 out of handful of blacks to even having a white roommate my freshman year, the entire experience was just different from anything I had dealt with.  I soon realized that alot of white chicks were down with the program of getting with a brotha, from there I had ALOT of good times.  The only thing that truly bothered me at times was constantly getting asked if I was on the football team. 

it took some getting used to.

in a sociology class of about 300, there were 8 blacks and 6 were on the football team. we watched a video on racism and everyone was looking at us w/ sorrow in their eyes.

and i used to get the "what sport do you play" all the time. mind you i'm 5-6 140

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Get used to it cause when you get a job it will be the same way

qft. only black engineer at my firm
30t6p3b.gif
(or rather
pimp.gif
im not sure lol)
Fams
pimp.gif

Same here.

Its like being a fish out of water. I'm one of the youngest employees at my firm of 200 and everybody knows my name but doesn't know a thing about me. Never even had a conversation with me a knows my name. The ones that do know you expect you to relate to their cultural pride or cultural issues but don't give a damn about yours. Fools thinking I celebrate Kwanzaa every year
indifferent.gif
. They will talk your head off about their food, hockey, baseball, political views, their own experiences with people who don't conform to their culture, everyday struggle and other woes of being Caucasian before asking you how you are today. Then they complain about everything from the printer being out of paper to their finger nail being too long. And once you have power they tend to flip out. One guy even went so far to say that he wouldn't work for me when he ran out of his own work because of me being a young black male. Some people are cool about racial differences though but the vast majority express their ignorance and entitlement on a regular. 

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Personally, I live for that ++*!.

I know I look like every stereotype under the sun, but don't act like any of them. I revel in any chance I get to beat down stereotypes.
Same way I feel.
pimp.gif

we all know racism and stereotypes stem from ignorance and poverty. For instance, if you never been outside of you're neighborhood, you tend to pass judgement on everything outside of your spot.
dont get me wrong. there are some smart, rich racists... but people who dont KNOW will make something up.

at Stanford, its safe to assume you're either A. pretty smart or B. pretty paid.

most of these people have traveled, seen things, read books, and make decisions based on what THEY see, not what others tell them. This lowers the racism, and raises understanding that not all people are the same. you dont judge people b/c since you've traveled and seen things... you know that what you see is not always what it is..

that's why is say there, it's different...  Go to an HBCU where academics arent stressed... or a community college where the people that grew up there go to school there... they'll have a different outlook on the world b/c they tend to just take what's given to them..

So much truth there.
[table][tr][td]
off_line.gif
Pepper[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][-][/td][/tr][tr][td]
Posted: 05/02/1212:30 PM
[/td][td]
You only feel out of place if you feel like you don't belong.
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pretty blanket statement that sounds like it came from a fortune cookie
laugh.gif

That feel when chicks dig you cuz you look this way... but act and perform in an awesome way =
pimp.gif

That feel they tiptoe around anything racial b/c of you =
frown.gif

That feel when they switch their lingo up just to talk to you.. = :smh

THIS HERE IS MONEY... I LOVE/HATE the last one tho... it reminds me of chris's teacher on everybody hates chris.
Originally Posted by Nowitzness41

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist
 Dont let it get to you man, we're all just people

I know that feeling. It feels weird but, you have a sense of responsibility (at least speaking for me) to just do as well as you can (honestly, mop the floor with e'rrbody
laugh.gif
) just to prove you belong on the same level.

Originally Posted by beh235

I know that feeling. It feels weird but, you have a sense of responsibility (at least speaking for me) to just do as well as you can (honestly, mop the floor with e'rrbody
laugh.gif
) just to prove you belong on the same level.
This. Just like athletes/people in the public eye who are being looked at by young kids as role models, whether (we) like it or not, that responsibility is there and has
to be taken into consideration when we're making moves. We're not just representing 1 individual person, but we are obligated to represent our entire race. The same

goes for every race, but booooyyyyy does it apply to us
laugh.gif

Pepper
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom