Questions about joining a fraternity

DaComeUP stoneyjax

Phi Nu Pi my brothers. We have a few of us that post on NT I see.

Mr718  I hope Kappa League had good influence on you, I had a chance to meet and talk with some Kappa Leaguers  last fall starting their Sr. year of high school. Those young dudes were squared away.

Others, don't think it's always gravy in the frat...we sometimes have our differences, but at the end of the day we family and for the most part we try to work things out. There was some beef on my line, but that wouldn't stop me from helping a brother out if they needed it and vice versa.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

I was already pulling chicks, already traveling around the US having the time of my life, already knowing a lot of influential people all over, already partying...BEFORE I joined my fraternity Kappa Alpha Psi. Can't speak for the others, but I did it to become part of a social/professional network.

One time I was traveling out of town and one of my frat brothers that I knew on a greek message board but never met in person hooked me up with a hotel suite for a whole week for only $35 a night. that's just one example, actually a weak example but sorta shows you some of the benefits.

I can go to almost any city in the US, and if for some reason I needed a helping hand, whether that be my car repaired, money, a place to stay, or even a job...one of my frats would help me out. If I talked to a frat and he couldn't help me he would see who could. Oh and I'd do that for one of my brothers as well.

Sure I paid my dues in the form of money to join...but what the hell these days that is worth while is free???

And that's not just my frat...that's Alphas, Ques, Sigmas, Iotas, heck even the traditionally white frats...and the Jewish Frats...oh they rolling in dough.

EDW has basically summed it all up. YO to the good bruhs!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

black frats seem super sketchy

jumping around with candy cane and doing all kinda *%!* #*# with their hands
grin.gif

Anyhow I got many offers to join frats in college, some of the people were already my friends and they straight up said I didn't even have to pledge-I decided to start my own frat instead but the chapter got denied cause dudes were on some sketchy #%+
30t6p3b.gif

Most of my best friends were in frats, I was pretty much a brother of a few I just refused to pledge not really sure why-maybe i thought i was too cool for it
grin.gif
And half the brothers in a lot of those frats were dbags, i wanted no parts

laugh.gif
@ pretty much a brother.. right.

lol another NTer I went to school with could cosign, I'm not bragging its rly nothing to brag about but all my friends were in frats and I hung out in frats a lot-I might as well just have pledged
grin.gif

But I didn't-I didn't really see a reason to "shrugs"

It's like this. If you see some dudes on campus that you can actually relate to and are on the same wavelength as you, then why not pledge? It's only going to help you in the long run on a social and professional level, and develop connections that will benefit you in life.

I didn't pledge because the frats on the yard weren't my kind of dudes. Towards the end I got cool with some Kappas, but I was too ready to get up out of there to worry about pledging.

As far as pledging to get bunz, most dudes in college are getting bunz anyway, but the quality is defintely upgraded for most dudes. First of all you got groupies, then you have sorority chicks that you are in constant contact with. A lot of them %!!%%* mess with frat boys because they have "Someting in common", lol. It would be naive to say that this isn't a motivating factor, but I have no problem with the guys that do it for that reason. Anything that helps you attract the opposite sex is a plus in my book, especially if it's a positive, constructive, activity.

The real issue I have is with these birds that act like you ain't cool if you're not in a frat. I remember bringing a chick over to my place and she saw my roomate's Alpha paraphanelia. She said "Oh, Are you an Alpha?" looking all googly eyed. I said "Naw, my roomate is". She responded "Oh, I love the Alphas. They just seem like husband material". I was like "Then you need to go out and #$&@ one of them dudes, cause I'm not in the frat". Crazily enough, she ended up offering me the draws anyway, but I was so disgusted with her I turned it down. I'm more mature now and have a better understanding of what she was feeling and why she felt that way, but it's still bs to me.

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by 1NyceBalla

I can see why some dudes do it...females be groupies...say you a Q then drop a couple names and you probably in there...

son I follow this white chick on twitter who is OBSESSED with Ques..nvr knew it was that serious
You talking about Spread Bunny or some +@! like that?
nerd.gif

To be honest with you, I grew up around a lot of influential bruhz (I'm a Que) and always admired them and aspired to be like them one day. When I finally made it to college and did my research, I decided that I wanted to be involved on campus and help bring back the New Orleans community through community service (my freshman year was the year Katrina hit). It just so happened that most of the community service events I took part in were facilitated by the bruhz in the city so I got a chance to help out and be around them and they were some legit %%$ dudes who seemed to be a lot like myself in many ways. And even if that wasn't enough, a lot of my friends were interested in becoming a Que as well sowe all decided to just go for it and pledge together. Through the years I've benefited from my fraternity not just by getting bunz, partying, getting hooked up with a job or a favor and things of that nature, but I've also benefited by meeting life long friends were are not unlike myself in the goals, aspirations, and direction in life. It's much more than "paying for friends" and even more than a brotherhood. I'm a Que for life whether I'm financial or not, and I will always be able to call any one of my millions of frat brothers if there is ever anything I need, no matter how big or small it is.

When I went to ASU a few years ago, the African American frats were always cool to me (I'm Filipino). I was heavy in our Asian Coalition and our office was next to the Black/African Coalition that most of them were a part of. Dudes were always cool and never seemed to have that "frat" attitude. So it was easy to give them respect and participate in events they threw. The Hispanic and Asian frats (Tucson) on the other hand were an example of what turns people off from frats. They always seemed to have that chip on their shoulder and have that "elitist" attitude. The Latina Sororities on the other hand...love those girls till the day that I die.

So what do you have to do to earn these privileges?

If you can't talk about certain things, whatever. Talk about the things you can.

I want to know both sides of the coin, not just the side where you get major benefits like being hooked up wherever you go.

I can go to almost any city in the US, and if for some reason I needed a helping hand, whether that be my car repaired, money, a place to stay, or even a job...one of my frats would help me out. If I talked to a frat and he couldn't help me he would see who could. Oh and I'd do that for one of my brothers as well.

Sure I paid my dues in the form of money to join...but what the hell these days that is worth while is free???

And that's not just my frat...that's Alphas, Ques, Sigmas, Iotas, heck even the traditionally white frats...and the Jewish Frats...oh they rolling in dough.
One of mannnnnnnnnnnnnnny examples!  EWD, us greeks know what it is.  No need to start this age old debate.  I guess ill go back in hibernation until this topic comes up again.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

We are all already part of a "fraternity"...I'm I alone in this?

the fraternity of humanity. but obviously it has splintered off into many factions...so sad
frown.gif

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

The real issue I have is with these birds that act like you ain't cool if you're not in a frat. I remember bringing a chick over to my place and she saw my roomate's Alpha paraphanelia. She said "Oh, Are you an Alpha?" looking all googly eyed. I said "Naw, my roomate is". She responded "Oh, I love the Alphas. They just seem like husband material". I was like "Then you need to go out and #$&@ one of them dudes, cause I'm not in the frat". Crazily enough, she ended up offering me the draws anyway, but I was so disgusted with her I turned it down. I'm more mature now and have a better understanding of what she was feeling and why she felt that way, but it's still bs to me.

People actually care that much?

What's their reason? Do the girls actually like the fraternities for their brotherhood/motives, or just because they're a fraternity? I hear it all the time, girls awestruck by the concept of a fraternity, but I never really heard a reason why they do so.

Originally Posted by scshift

What's their reason? Do the girls actually like the fraternities for their brotherhood/motives, or just because they're a fraternity? I hear it all the time, girls awestruck by the concept of a fraternity, but I never really heard a reason why they do so.

Women in general love a man in uniform.  + all that dancing in a circle puts the joo joo magic on the ladies. lol
s/n. i hated black frat college parties when i was in school ( on the other hand, white frats were some of the best parties i had ever seen in my life). Like ya'll throwing a party, invite everybody in the world, then push them out the way so yall can hop all over the place and fight dudes who are not in yall orgs. If yall throwing the party, why not dance for a little bit, then let the party be and just get money from throwing good parties. never understood this, but i know for some of my dudes who crossed over, this was the highlight of their college careers. 

Honestly, I think its just to brag, to tell people you're "close" with someone from the organization...plus, once you get with one of the brothers, your name will always be on the party guest list 
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

so its sort of like networking in a way...

greek groupies. stay away.

if you want friends, then make friends.  if you want to party, then party.  if you want to do community service, then hit up student services.

there's nothing Greeks can offer that you can't acquire yourself.

and the whole hazing and pledging process is so silly; to think that harassing, assaulting, and humiliating your "brothers" and "sisters" will build a stronger bond.  its supported as "tradition" but really its based on the fact that since they did it, you have to too.

you can't force relationships and friendships and even if so, it's more or less fake anyways.

sure, you'll meet awesome people in the greek community when you pledge, but also realize, you meet awesome people everywhere and that same lifelong relationship is likely regardless of one's greek letters.

Originally Posted by kiendienn

if you want friends, then make friends.  if you want to party, then party.  if you want to do community service, then hit up student services.

and the whole hazing and pledging process is so silly; to think that harassing, assaulting, and humiliating your "brothers" and "sisters" will build a stronger bond.  its supported as "tradition" but really its based on the fact that since they did it, you have to too.

you can't force relationships and friendships and even if so, it's more or less fake anyways.

sure, you'll meet awesome people in the greek community when you pledge, but also realize, you meet awesome people everywhere and that same lifelong relationship is likely regardless of one's greek letters.

I agree with you. But the way i see it, if one is joining a "good" fraternity that is tight with all chapters across the nation, you can't really expect to travel around the country and expect to make those same connections on your own. So a fraternity would help in that situation.

I stay home for school, but I have a friend who is in a frat up, and visiting him is
pimp.gif
. My friends and I who visit him get treated like we are in the frat ourselves, it's awesome.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

black frats seem super sketchy

They really do though.
Some of the stories I've heard from my boys in various frats got me like wow.

I can see why some would join one, but def not for me.

Yeah, I heard at my school that some of the black frats actually brand their members. 
eek.gif

But what bkmac said is true.

A few of my friends are in the same frat and whenever I visit they treat me like family.

Sometimes they forget I'm not in the frat and they include me in on events and stuff
laugh.gif

I was the pledge captain of an Asian frat and depledged two weeks before crossing for a few reasons

1) I could never call someone I dislike my "brother." And there were quite a few idiots
2) Asian frats usually do act like gangs in my experience. They slang on campus, have certain areas they hang around and even have beef with other chapters from different schools.

Exchanges were CRACKIN though
pimp.gif
Some of the best college parties that I've attended. I'll miss that, but the frat life is not for me.

had to chime in on this one

i think its fair to say that people join for different reasons.  with my line, one of my pledge brothers joined for the play, one joined for networking, one joined for brotherhood, one cause his homie was in it, one joined for the lettered line jackets,  i joined in hopes of finding a home away from home with people i possibly thought i would share common interests in lol weird right?

pros: networking around the nation/international, brotherhood, community service, people who will push you academically and can help you through school, parties, girls, easy way of meeting people, strolling, stepping, there's always something to do and someone to chill with if your bored, enhances your college experience, cultural awareness

cons: YOU WILL BE BUSY, but being a bro is a lot harder than being a pledge, if your chapter does work. your grades will most likely slip while your pledging depending if you can manage your time, dues, honestly, its like a high school popularity contest.

do your research before joining, find out whats a good fit for you don't just jump into the first thing you see.  go to the rush events and check it out.  i'd say give yourself a chance to see if you're fine without it, and if you feel curiosity kicking in, then why not see if its for you.  don't forget that there are also greek fraternities for your major that might also interest you and look good on resumes as well.

and the whole thing about buying friends is a huge misconception.  i know there are plenty of greek orgs that charge alot, but there are also many that make it very affordable for its members. 

good luck with your decision! and enjoy pledging if you decide to do that! and keep your head up lol. its a once in a lifetime oppertunity during college you know?

Originally Posted by kiendienn

i agree...but at the end of the day its a question of scale when your talking about girls and parties..yeah you can go out and pull girls and party when your not in a

frat, but being in a frat your given countless opportunities to meet girls. i mean mixers alone give frats an advantage, not to mention all the naive inexperienced girls

and groupies partying at frat houses every weekend.

that said, still think the whole thing can be sooo corny and played out..cant stand the people that think they should be treated a certain way cause they have letters

..on my campus within greek life people that arent greek are referred to as peasants or GDIs (god damn independents) 
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
its pathetic 

What power in any industry do the Divine 9 have? I mean I know you hold rank in HBCUs but once you get into the real world where do you benefit?

Never made sense to me anyway why choose a side when I can get to all the parties for the free?

Joined about 2 years ago my 1st year in college. Pretty much what everyone else said. The best part is the networking you'll experience and the people you spend college with.
I'm from the Bay (Cali) and this year alone I've flown out to Buffalo NY and Washington DC to meet up with other chapters, I stayed with people I just met and I flew by myself. Basically had a national meeting to go over stuff and party with a sister sorority for a couple nights, taking up entire hotels. Its not just about parties, you build bonds with people you can really relate to, in terms of family values, culture, etc. The guys you get to meet on campus, not only become your brothers but people you need to lead and help develop to better men. We're an organization that runs it like its a business, because we value our connections and our image to the community. I'm currently president and to say I've benefited a lot from this is an understatement.

Back
Top Bottom