Quick computer question...

So a couple of days ago my computer crashed and I had to restart it from factory settings because Geek Squad was trying to charge me $300 and couldn'tguarantee that the wouldn't have to do the same. Upon doing so I lost everything I had on my hard drive. Over 20 gigs of music, every paper I've everwritten in 4 years of college, pictures, movies, EVERYTHING!
mad.gif

As of recently I've been trying to get all my music back seeing as how that's the most important thing after my papers. I've only downloaded aboutabout three and a half gigs of the music I lost and now my computer keeps saying I have low disk space and only have like 76 MB of memory left which is doingnothing but irritating the $*#@ out of me and making me get mad all over again.
Anybody know why my computer keeps saying that I have low disk space after only putting three and a half gigs of the music I had back on here and how I couldrectify the problem?
Thanks in advance to anybody who could offer up some advice.

When you restored everything, it probably didn't actually get rid of all of the files; even though you may not be able to access them.

What kind of restore did you do? Did you restore it to a certain date? Reinstall windows? That would help.

Try searching for a "Windows.old" folder on your HD. Sometimes Windows likes to save all of the data even though you did a full restore.

See how that works.

if you have another desktop computer in the house (i'm assuming this is a desktop as well). try to pop the hard drive out of your "dead"computer and insert it into the "slave" drive slot of the other computer. try searching the secondary drive in the "my computer" spot tosee what data is still on there as it appears that your previous data would still be there from your explanation.

You could also try a program called Smart Recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=2 to recoveryour data.

Good luck

Originally Posted by soltheman

Try searching for a "Windows.old" folder on your HD. Sometimes Windows likes to save all of the data even though you did a full restore.

See how that works.

Nope I got nothing.

if you have another desktop computer in the house (i'm assuming this is a desktop as well). try to pop the hard drive out of your "dead" computer and insert it into the "slave" drive slot of the other computer. try searching the secondary drive in the "my computer" spot to see what data is still on there as it appears that your previous data would still be there from your explanation.

You could also try a program called Smart Recovery http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=2 to recover your data.

Good luck

It's actually my laptop

Reinstall the OS from the startup screen, delete whatever partition is there and make a new one.

Get a Linux LiveCD (Ubuntu, SystemRecovery/Rescue, Puppy, whatever) and boot your lap with the LiveCD on, check from there if your HD has the files you'lost'. Seems like Windows is 'hiding' you your files, Linux will show them, just go thru every file...

If you find thme this way, with GParted make another partition in your HD (NTFS format) and copy the files form the old aprtition to the new one, restart withWindows and now you will have your old files in the new partition available to see/write in the Windows partition.

Originally Posted by ImNacho

Get a Linux LiveCD (Ubuntu, SystemRecovery/Rescue, Puppy, whatever) and boot your lap with the LiveCD on, check from there if your HD has the files you 'lost'. Seems like Windows is 'hiding' you your files, Linux will show them, just go thru every file...

If you find thme this way, with GParted make another partition in your HD (NTFS format) and copy the files form the old aprtition to the new one, restart with Windows and now you will have your old files in the new partition available to see/write in the Windows partition.
Where can I get the CD from?

Back
Top Bottom