Quick Question for Any Previous / Current Med School Students

I know we have a diverse group of backgrounds here on NT, so hoping to get some helpful perspective on a friend's med school acceptance situation.

A friend recently got accepted to med school (School A) off of the school's waitlist. She was also waitlisted at another school (School B) on the same tier but hasn't heard back from that school yet.

She's obviously ecstatic that she got into med school, but she also knows that she would likely prefer School B over School A - she's already paid to guarantee her spot at School A just to be safe, though. While she's willing to wait for School B to get back to her on whether or not she gets in off of their waitlist, she's sensitive to the fact that the longer she waits, the less time she has to find roommates / housing at either school, make summer plans, etc. Also, if she DOES get in to School B much later then she's basically holding up someone else's spot at School A for the time being.

So, ideally, it would be great to find out School B's decision ASAP. She has already written a Letter of Intent to School B earlier in the process and has written update letters when appropriate. Does it make sense to contact School B again and reiterate her interest in attending? Coming from a finance background, I'm very familiar with the idea of shopping around an offer - in this case, that would take the form of her calling School B, letting them know she was accepted to School A and then reiterating that School B is her top choice.Obviously not from a place of cockiness, but basically saying, "Hey, I received an offer from another program and while I think they are a great institution, your institution is still my top choice because of your focus in X specialty, your commitment to researching X, your proximity to X, etc. etc."

Is this an acceptable way to approach this situation? I think it's fairly common in finance but obviously these are two very different fields. If this isn't acceptable, what is the ideal way to approach this situation to maximize the probability of acceptance at School B while obviously remaining respectful of School A? Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom