Racial Stereotypes Again vol. washcloths/kissing dogs (Tyra Banks does it again, Mike Epps clownin')

Originally Posted by I Be John Mayer

i watched the whole thing, and it was actually pretty good.

laugh.gif
at Latinos rolling deep everywhere.

I remember when I was young, my grandma came to visit and we rolled five cars deep to go pick her up at theairport. Two years ago I asked my mom why we did that and she gave me the
indifferent.gif
and didn't talk to me for like a day saying I disrespected her culture.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

call me an old fart...but racial jokes just don't do it for me...
basically all they did was reinforce stereotypes without doing anything to dispel them

Exactly. While semi-entertaining the video was pointless.

Some of yall are real sensitive. Lighten up. I understand the intention behind what they were tryin to do so it wasn't anything to get offended over, itwas entertaining. If you noticed most of the people on the panel tried but couldn't give a general reason as a answer for the stereotypes that people hadtowards their race so that only reinforces the fact that most of the stereotypes don't really have much basis and obviously don't apply to everyone inthat race.

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

Tyra has theeeeeee worst 'social experiments'...i really don't know why i still watch that show...i'm a lil mad i missed it yesterday...had to drive down to my brothers school and fix his phone...
laugh.gif

I don't see what ya'll are so upset about.

Speakin' as an Asian at least, me/my friends/family drive crazy or bad.
A lot of my friends still live with their grandparents/aunts in the house, my grandma may be moving in with me soon actually.
I know SO MANY people that work in/own nail shops it's not even funny. The crazy part is I know even more that have all the stuff to do nails at home andDON'T work in/own nail shops.
My brother and I are both 6 inches taller than our parents.
I used to be in a breakdancing/popping crew when I was younger, and we used to travel all around the Bay and battle other Asian kids.
laugh.gif

And pigeon is delicious.

How am I supposed to dispel these stereotypes while i'm living them?

Originally Posted by eghckk

Some of yall are real sensitive. Lighten up. I understand the intention behind what they were tryin to do so it wasn't anything to get offended over, it was entertaining. If you noticed most of the people on the panel tried but couldn't give a general reason as a answer for the stereotypes that people had towards their race so that only reinforces the fact that most of the stereotypes don't really have much basis and obviously don't apply to everyone in that race.

1. Not being amused by the clip doesn't mean we don't have a sense of humor. Just that this type of base level racial-type humor isn't funny inour book.
2. No, all it did was reinforce the stereotype on what they were asking b/c they didn't have an answer that dispelled the stereotype.

Some of yall are real sensitive. Lighten up. I understand the intention behind what they were tryin to do so it wasn't anything to get offended over, it was entertaining. If you noticed most of the people on the panel tried but couldn't give a general reason as a answer for the stereotypes that people had towards their race so that only reinforces the fact that most of the stereotypes don't really have much basis and obviously don't apply to everyone in that race.

1. Not being amused by the clip doesn't mean we don't have a sense of humor. Just that this type of base level racial-type humor isn't funny in our book.
2. No, all it did was reinforce the stereotype on what they were asking b/c they didn't have an answer that dispelled the stereotype.
You seem so convinced that the stereotypes CAN be dispelled.

Now I understand that there are some very negative stereotypes out there, but most of what was talked about on the show, I would think of as differences inculture.

Speaking from an Asian's perspective, pretty much every question they had lined up had a relatively concrete answer behind it. The Dat Phan guy didn'tknow them, but they were there.

I mean, it's pretty clear that there are cultural differences within our different ethnic groups in America right? Why does it have to be a negativething?

Tyra is a woman, so she basically doesnt have any credibility for doing anything that makes sense in the first place...

1. Not being amused by the clip doesn't mean we don't have a sense of humor. Just that this type of base level racial-type humor isn't funny in our book.
1. No one said that anyone had to find the subject matter humorous. I said some people are being too sensitive and essentially need to pick theirbattles. Everyone gets sensitive about the wrong things and when actual issues of significance come up no one cares. There was no blatant or even discreteracism present in any part of the show to really be offended over imo. I found the comments being made by Mike Epps and the other people on the panel nodifferent then when you go to a comedy show and watch a comedian make jokes pointing out the differences between people of different racial groups. The peopleon the panel were obviously making a joke out of the questions they were being asked about their race so you missed the point if you took their answersliterally.
2. Maybe FOR YOU they reinforced stereotypes but it did not do that for me and I'm sure most people would agree that it didn't do that for them either.Race is a social construct and most stereotypes that are based on race have no basis. Cultural stereotypes usually hold some truth though which was pointed outin the video when the people on the panel alluded to the fact that these cultural stereotypes have a historical significance (ie. Latinos being mostly catholicand their religion saying that birth control is a sin so that would explain why many Latinos have a lot of children) Despite what people say stereotypes doderive from some truth, meaning it is seen amongst the majority of the group thus giving the impression that it applys to all people within the group. Most ofthe questions people had regarding stereotypes though were racial stereotypes and not cultural ones so there was really no way of accurately answering thembecause they are not only specific to any one racial group ie. black people aren't the only people that like fried chicken, people of various races like itso there's no basis for the belief that black people like it more than any other race. It's an absurd assumption so the best way to address it is tomake light of it and point out just how ridiculous it is. Making light of most of the stereotypes does more to point out just how ridiculous they are then itdoes to reinforce them or validate them as being true.

The white woman on the far left is trying a little too hard. She's extremely unfunny and unlikeable to me for some reason. Nothing to do with race. You cantell Mike Epps is getting annoyed with her od jokes.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

the varsity, you don't know how badly i wanna cosign that statement, but i don't wanna get myself in trouble
laugh.gif

I dont see how you would get in trouble. If that's how you feel, then you're entitled to your opinions just the same as I am. All those "girlpower" shows like Tyra & Wendy Williams & all that filth are nerve wrecking. I couldnt imagine the mental exhaustion that would come fromsittin' in that audience for more than 10 minutes. I guess Im very much a "sexiest" in my own right, but that's just how I feel...

Originally Posted by The Varsity

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

the varsity, you don't know how badly i wanna cosign that statement, but i don't wanna get myself in trouble
laugh.gif

I dont see how you would get in trouble. If that's how you feel, then you're entitled to your opinions just the same as I am. All those "girl power" shows like Tyra & Wendy Williams & all that filth are nerve wrecking. I couldnt imagine the mental exhaustion that would come from sittin' in that audience for more than 10 minutes. I guess Im very much a "sexiest" in my own right, but that's just how I feel...
Post a pic. Let the NT ladies decide.

Back
Top Bottom