Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Wayne isn't my goat, but I have a lot of respect for him. Like others have said, his influence is heavy, and he has some heavy hitters under his belt. So I wouldn't argue with anyone who says he's their goat.

I'm taking Hov over him though.

I dont remember the generational divide being this strong growing up in regards to hip-hop. I think alot of that stems from what people feel is a serious lack of lyricism and strong wordplay. Back then people had issues with the content and violence surrounding it, but I dont remember anybody just straight up ****ting on newer MC's ability to spit

I dont remember the generational divide being this strong growing up in regards to hip-hop. I think alot of that stems from what people feel is a serious lack of lyricism and strong wordplay. Back then people had issues with the content and violence surrounding it, but I dont remember anybody just straight up ****ting on newer MC's ability to spit

generational divide is, has, and will always be prevalent.

Been playing Drip season 3 for a minute now. At this point, I'm feeling Gunna more than Lil Baby. Not that I compare them. Just started listening to them both at the same time.

I think that's it.

People look at it as a generational thing, but it's more of a lyricism issue.

I can listen to a lot of music and see lyricism in it, even if it's not lyrical miracle. Just like I wouldn't say Wayne is garbage, but I just see rap degenerating. I saw lyricism in rap from the west coast in the 90's. It was their story. Scarface has a ton of fans in the east. I can listen to those Youngbloodz songs and see there's lyricism in it. It was Goodie Mob, Juvie and TI's story.

Now with wavycrocket wavycrocket label roster :smh: it's nursery rhymes, because that's all melody and simplicity. So rap is Dr Seuss rap.

generational divide is, has, and will always be prevalent.

Naw, because there would have been a generational divide from the late 80's in to the 90's. There was a progression and then it stopped.

Because in from 85 going to 89, if you weren't good enough you just fell off. That's how LL remained. Then going in to 89 to 95. You weren't good enough, you fell off. You had to progress as a rapper and change with the times and update your style and flow.

There was a generational as far as success, violence, regionality, originality and negativity

It wasn't until later where dudes were just like wait, these guys just aren't good. That started with snap and has gotten stronger. That has little to do with generation, because people aren't saying that about Kendrick and J Cole. I hate Drake, but I would never say he's not lyrical. In fact my hate towards Drake might be generational, because I wonder how dudes want to listen to his ***** *** simp music. But everything else. Naw, it's well deserved. Too much music is made by low IQ drug addicts. So that's a generational thing not accepting that? Just like there might be a generational divide on the way the NBA is played, but is there a generational divide on how good a Lebron or KD are? As a consensus? IMO talent and how good you are transcends generations.

Naw, because there would have been a generational divide from the late 80's in to the 90's. There was a progression and then it stopped.

Because in from 85 going to 89, if you weren't good enough you just fell off. That's how LL remained. Then going in to 89 to 95. You weren't good enough, you fell off. You had to progress as a rapper and change with the times and update your style and flow.

There was a generational as far as success, violence, regionality, originality and negativity

It wasn't until later where dudes were just like wait, these guys just aren't good. That started with snap and has gotten stronger. That has little to do with generation, because people aren't saying that about Kendrick and J Cole. I hate Drake, but I would never say he's not lyrical. In fact my hate towards Drake might be generational, because I wonder how dudes want to listen to his ***** *** simp music. But everything else. Naw, it's well deserved. Too much music is made by low IQ drug addicts. So that's a generational thing not accepting that? Just like there might be a generational divide on the way the NBA is played, but is there a generational divide on how good a Lebron or KD are? As a consensus? IMO talent and how good you are transcends generations.

There was definitely a divide from the get go. Maybe not generational as far as age, but in a sense of the periods of rap. It is documented that the early artists of the late 70s and early 80s hated what run dmc and ll was doing. The 80s rappers couldn't keep up with the lyricism of the 90s, and so forth. There will always be complaints from the old guard about the new. The divide is so prevalent now because hip hip has aged and is much different from how it started. Those who had their time and those who grew up on their version of hip hop is drastically different from what is now.

Last edited:
There was definitely a divide from the get go. Maybe not generational as far as age, but in a sense of the periods of rap. It is documented that the early artists of the late 70s and early 80s hated what run dmc and ll was doing. The 80s rappers couldn't keep up with the lyricism of the 90s, and so forth. There was and always complaints from the old guard about the new. The divide is so prevalent now because hip hip has aged and is much different from how it started so those who had their time and those who grew up on their version of hip hop is drastically different from what is now.

There generation issue was for difference reasons though.

Because the best rappers lasted to the next generation. Kool Moe Dee lasted until the mid 80's. Rakim lasted until the late 80's

There was definitely a divide from the get go. Maybe not generational as far as age, but in a sense of the periods of rap. It is documented that the early artists of the late 70s and early 80s hated what run dmc and ll was doing. The 80s rappers couldn't keep up with the lyricism of the 90s, and so forth. There was and always complaints from the old guard about the new. The divide is so prevalent now because hip hip has aged and is much different from how it started so those who had their time and those who grew up on their version of hip hop is drastically different from what is now.

Pretty much

There generation issue was for difference reasons though.

Because the best rappers lasted to the next generation. Kool Moe Dee lasted until the mid 80's. Rakim lasted until the late 80's
Doesn't really matter why the issues were different. Point is there will always be issues. Just like I'm sure how many from my generation, 90s, will feel some kind of way about these lil weirdos coming up now.

Doesn't really matter why the issues were difference. Point is there will always be issues. Just like I'm sure how many from this my generation, 1990s, will and already feel about these lil weirdos coming up now.

The difference matters

Because it's about not being good and requiring no talent.

Because it's not just old dudes mentioning it, young rappers mention it too.

Just like when dudes up here tried to make it a New York thing and then you saw older artist form the South were saying the same thing.

The difference matters

Because it's about not being good and requiring no talent.

That's pretty much the same thing I've heard Melle Mel and others say. They were very grandiose in what they were doing. Outlandish outfits, shows, live instruments, sound and all that. He said himself they hated what Run and LL was doing. Everything was stripped down and more raw. They saw what they were doing as not having talent as well. Thought they were ruining all that they were doing. Same ****, different era.

Last edited:
That's pretty much the same thing I've heard Melle Mel and others say. They were very grandiose in what they were doing. Outlandish outfits, shows, live instruments, sound and all that. He said himself they hated what Run and LL was doing. Everything was stripped down and more raw. They saw what they were doing as not having talent as well. Thought they were ruining all that they were doing. Same ****, different era.

Remember old heads saying “that’s not real music. They’re just talking over beats. Anyone can do it” :lol:.

This paid in full scene sums this up perfectly. Magic33 Magic33 has become Mr Pip

Just my yearely reminder that every Single time Cam has been on a track with one of the GOAT lyricist he's held his own or shined on ******. People saying cam is all Bravado & not "lyrical" is fake news

Back
Top Bottom