Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Probably the best lyricist outta Louisiana

8F3D6784-1F7F-4978-83D4-DE28FEA3391D.gif

Damn I'm bout to go peep this on AM, I'm liking that "That's Hip Hop" and "Best Friend"

Seen his name around, crazy how loaded NL roster was at one point lol

Mac is the down south Nas.

He got caught up in some BS, court system played him.

On February 21, 2000, Phipps was scheduled to perform at Slidell, Louisiana nightclub Club Mercedes, but a fight broke out before the show that resulted in Phipps allegedly shooting 19-year-old Barron C Victor, Jr. after Victor attempted to break up the fight. Phipps was arrested and charged with second-degree murder,[9] and was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to thirty years to life in prison on September 21, 2001.[10] He is currently serving his sentence at the Elayn Hunt Correctional Center in Louisiana.

In December 2014, Northwestern University's Medill Justice Project (MJP), in partnership with The Lens, published the results of a three-month investigation of Phipps' conviction, revealing that a key eyewitness at his trial gave his private investigator an affidavit in 2013 that stated she was coerced into identifying Phipps as the shooter because of investigators' threats to charge her.[11] Following Medill's investigation, David Lohr of The Huffington Post published the results of a four-month review of Phipps' conviction,[12] further revealing that four other witnesses to the shooting told the publication that they also were threatened, intimidated or outright ignored by investigators. Phipps' family has since obtained affidavits from many of the individuals in an effort to get him a new trial.[13]

On March 25, 2015, rapper Killer Mike told students at Dillard University in New Orleans that it was unacceptable for authorities to use rap lyrics in the prosecution of Phipps: "If we let this stand, what you're going to see is that tool is going to be used to wipe out an entire potential generation of [artists] out of our community."[14]

Phipps has applied for the Louisiana governor’s clemency in 2016, asking to be released from prison for time served. In the petition sent to the Louisiana Board of Pardons and Parole he seeks a commutation due to a "wrongful conviction and excessive sentence", as "evidence developed over the last two years" which includes, among other things, findings from MJP’s investigation.

Him and BG was tight

This the last change I'm giving Thug. If this flops, I'm looking at dude as nothing more than a feature artist from now on. Expectations low, but hoping for the best

This the last change I'm giving Thug. If this flops, I'm looking at dude as nothing more than a feature artist from now on. Expectations low, but hoping for the best

What does it flopping have to do with how you view him as an artist? :lol: Fans A&R's forreal now. "Sell or I don't like you" :lol:

Unless ur using flop as a term for it not being good lol.

Thug influence and the fact that he just did him and shifted an entire genre/culture (for better or worse lol) > his sales and the fact that he and Chance racing to have the most fake debut albums

HiTunes gonna dead *** drop in the 2020's that's crazy.

He got little to no buzz for this so I'm not sure what would be considered a flop. He's had so many past flops that it's like his team is just like "**** it just throw it out". Dude career been so mismanged it makes no sense because this era loves him. All the geeky magazine folks love him. The trap _'s rock with him.

He got little to no buzz for this so I'm not sure what would be considered a flop. He's had so many past flops that it's like his team is just like "**** it just throw it out". Dude career been so mismanged it makes no sense because this era loves him. All the geeky magazine folks love him. The trap _'s rock with him.

Dude still ****ing with 300 when he could have gotten with EMPIRE or even a Roc Nation or something and started a whole new era for himself.

Also, everyone does what made him special at one time to an extent so it's time he really sit down and try to mix that quirky eccentric **** with actually trying to stay on a topic and get somewhat "lyrical" so he can actually craft a quality "traditional" project. Everyone does their version of what made him special now. Gibberish punch ins until you catch a whole song.

Nah it's alright to look at him as a feature artist now. It is what it is.

What does it flopping have to do with how you view him as an artist? :lol: Fans A&R's forreal now. "Sell or I don't like you" :lol:

Unless ur using flop as a term for it not being good lol.

Thug influence and the fact that he just did him and shifted an entire genre/culture (for better or worse lol) > his sales and the fact that he and Chance racing to have the most fake debut albums

HiTunes gonna dead *** drop in the 2020's that's crazy.
That's exactly what I meant it as.

Nah it's alright to look at him as a feature artist now. It is what it is.
I mean yeah. I still have a little hope because he hasn't lost the ability to do what he does. For whatever reasons, he just doesn't do it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom