Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

**** crazy man. How you tell a whole generation of kids their music trash then tell them they have to respect the music you love with a straight face :lol:

Right. And a lot of times, it’s just calling something “trash” off perception...and the fact that it isn’t presented explicitly as something you came up on, or your perception of what “real music” is supposed to be.

I had to learn this myself. There’s an “appeal” to most music that really cuts through. Young rap fans are going to have their here today, gone tomorrow rappers (SoundCloud rappers...Lil Pump etc). Then there are the guys that cut thru. Take Uzi for an example. On the surface...he’s easy to lump in with trash or something. But take the time to find the appeal. It might not ultimately be for you...but the key is understanding WHY somebody might like it. And once I peeped that, I started looking at **** differently.

Man is keeping it 80s hip hop, and true to its essence with B-boying in Futsal Shuffle...to an entire generation. But you wouldn’t even know if you ain’t pay attention.

Some **** just aint supposed to be for certain people. And that’s ok.

Perception def has a lot to do with it. We’re looking at things the way we’re used to. Kids on a whole different level with this stuff from how they process it to how they consume it.

we’re looking for the same thing we just getting it in different ways

with how rap has progressed I honestly think there are artists and even sub genres that are only for certain age demographics. And we tend to focus mostly on our demos when it comes to music so I understand that part to a degree. The early teens late twenties demo is probably the most important to rap the business right now.

the thing with this is we’re basing what is and isn’t elite on what you could really call dated ideas. of course there is a foundation for hip hop music but as time goes on things are gonna progress away from what we deem “elite” or whatever adjective. Our voice in the culture gets smaller as time goes on. It’s why some artists have found themselves looking crazy trying to adapt.

others have been able to gracefully continue their careers as time goes on but it’s a handful of people.

it’s been wild to watch in real time because at first I felt like how I’m assuming the heads 10 years older than me felt watching rap progress :lol:

This is where i disagree, Just because the youth enjoys a certain style of music doesn't mean that i'm going to change MY standards of what good rap music is or isn't. either i like the music or i don't, i'm allowed to state that just like they're allowed to state how they don't feel older music.

Also I can't think of any surviving culture that quiets the voices of it's elders & most knowledgeable, to let it be fully dictated by what the youth wants to do with it. Just because it's never been done before doesn't mean it's "progressive" to the genre either, There have been things introduced to rap that have effected the music negatively also.

so while i agree that the late teens early 20's is the most profitable from a big business standpoint, that doesn't mean that what that demo is making, should dictate how other generations of rap fans intake & critique the art.

end of the day, i've gotten to a point where i think a lot of the new **** is wack, i pay most of it no mind, play the new **** i do like & keep it moving. But if i see claims that are just wild i comment on it from time to time.

No offense but I thought JUICE WRLD death would bring Lil BIBBY back to the rap game! WE NEED YOU BIBSTER!!!!! Bruh need to start rapping again. We’d be on Free Crack 10 by now

And i been said in here, my “cutoff” year is 2015...I’m 29 and I can’t keep up with all these new ******. I don’t knock anyone for rocking with them but I’m straight with the Kendrick/Cole/Drake era, and it’s deviations (Future, Meek, etc)

Been saying this in this thread for years :lol:. Some **** just aint for us. And that’s ok. And the kids bunker down on trolling as rebellion...since they got a better grasp of it :lol:. It’s a weird cycle. But this is spot on.

when the troll generations turns 30, 40+, it’s gone be a site to behold. Y’all boys really finna see some wildin’, in the foreseeable future. Imagine some of these 17,18, 19 and 20 year olds when they hit their 30s and 40s.

Can’t believe MICK JENKINS barely gets posted in here. Bruh changed his sound up a little bit though.

mad got dudes like Mick Jenkins and and Trippie Redd. For real, there’s music for everyone nowadays. That’s why I laugh when people cry so much. Like you literally have every type of rapper at your disposal nowadays plus older stuff.

if you subject yourself to the likes of Trippie Redd in this globally connected era, that’s a problem.

1) comfortable in my sexuality
2) Drake got pee’d on
3) You’re a Drake Stan

And wavycrocket wavycrocket liked that post but is NOTORIOUS for using the fingernail polish emoji. Y’all kill me

Tuh.....AND 💁🏾‍♂️💅🏾👸🏾

AB13D49F-1B21-4CB6-8A84-FA7F5ABD1250.jpeg

S**** be like watching a basketball or football game with the teams with the worse records. Like bruh, I’m not even wasting storage on my firestick to watch trash sports. Why do it with music. Any game with the NY Knicks playing, I am not watching that s****

This is where i disagree, Just because the youth enjoys a certain style of music doesn't mean that i'm going to change MY standards of what good rap music is or isn't. either i like the music or i don't, i'm allowed to state that just like they're allowed to state how they don't feel older music.

Also I can't think of any surviving culture that quiets the voices of it's elders & most knowledgeable, to let it be fully dictated by what the youth wants to do with it. Just because it's never been done before doesn't mean it's "progressive" to the genre either, There have been things introduced to rap that have effected the music negatively also.

so while i agree that the late teens early 20's is the most profitable from a big business standpoint, that doesn't mean that what that demo is making, should dictate how other generations of rap fans intake & critique the art.

end of the day, i've gotten to a point where i think a lot of the new **** is wack, i pay most of it no mind, play the new **** i do like & keep it moving. But if i see claims that are just wild i comment on it from time to time.

I feel you 100%. I don’t necessarily mean we have to be all accepting of whatever comes out musically, I just think the way we treat the new generation and the way they treat the old generation is problematic for our progress in the culture. There’s a weird divide, which speaks to your second point.

I agree I don’t think elders should be shunned and quieted but I also think some go about their treatment of the younger crowd. Hip hop has a strong element of rebellion ingrained in it, to basically demand respect is essentially telling kids not to respect you. Counter culture has always been the culture for us.

I like how artists like Jada, Gucci, and Kanye have actively embraced the younger guys.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying though. You never come across as having the old man energy I’m really talking about lol

The ones that do it best...the ones I rock with :lol:. For the thousandth time. Lil Baby, Youngboy, Roddy, Durk, Kodak are the only ones who I’m really STAMPING like that.

And they’ve proven to be official. Where’s the lie? They all bring something different to the table. And I rock with it for sure :pimp:

So YFN Lucci wasn't your official artist? You wasn't flooding NT with his music?

speaking of Lucci I remember ****** in here talking to me crazy cuz I didn’t know who PNB Rock was besides being a long neck Chester

fast forward now and this mf a ghost :lol:

I thought YFN Lucci was SOLO LUCCI at first. Boy names make a different. Cause solo Lucci was AWFUL

Back
Top Bottom