Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I get what Killer Mike and Tip point was because they're business owners but this **** is bigger than you.

Even George Floyd brother is on some "can't we all just get along". We feel your pain but this ain't about George Floyd only. This is about hundreds of years. I hate when they throw out a grieving family to play on _'s emotions.

It's really not the same tho. I've been vocal against EVERYONE on that bs regardless of where they are from including jigga man. Check the post

I've lived in Atlanta. Got little brothers and a mother who's been there for 15 years. So I think I'm qualified to speak on what's going on out there

That Black Hollywood and Black Mecca narrative is literally nothing but a.. narrative. Something coined and created by white supremacists from Georgia that impressionable negroes regurgitate without tangibles

Killer Mike wants to tell us "50 black women own restaurants" so we can stop looting and destroying OUR neighborhoods like the majority of black people in the city actually live downtown.

Ti wants to compare and contrast other black cities like Atlanta is somehow better when in all actuality the disparity is worst than anywhere else

C74851E5-9ADA-4ACA-94EC-FF1C8939ED2B.jpeg

22BB78E8-FC0F-45B1-8B3C-47EA916F7446.jpeg

Them _s are bought. Literally the first people the police commissioner called up to speak at a press conference in hopes to calm the rowdy ****** LOOTING downtown

Which helped in diluting the message of these protest and focused all the attention on the looting aspect.

_s really be one way in they raps and another way in the streets

I'll continue to call NYC the Mecca of basketball because the city lives and breaths it.

Don't see how that has ANYTHING to do with these real life issues tho

Black Hollywood refers to entertainment.....not wealth. And Hollywood has to do with creating and facades of wealth etc. The saying “being Hollywood” isn’t some kind of badge of honor :lol:. Atlanta DEFINITELY has a subset of fake it til you make it...material Hollywood esque culture with black people...so that IS true.

Secondly....think of Atlanta now...as to what Harlem was during its renaissance While overall...due to white supremacy, the area largely is in poverty....However, even within that...exist a black cultural hub for creatives, educators, and everything in between. And a place where black people can live and own places of business, stores, and participate in their own economy in some way.

Try to look at it from that lens. That’s how I see it.

Black Hollywood refers to entertainment.....not wealth. And Hollywood has to do with creating and facades of wealth etc. The saying “being Hollywood” isn’t some kind of badge of honor :lol:. Atlanta DEFINITELY has a subset of fake it til you make it...material Hollywood esque culture with black people...so that IS true.

Secondly....think of Atlanta now...as to what Harlem was during its renaissance While overall...due to white supremacy, the area largely is in poverty....However, even within that...exist a black cultural hub for creatives, educators, and everything in between. And a place where black people can live and own places of business, stores, and participate in their own economy in some way.

Try to look at it from that lens. That’s how I see it.

The issue is how you see it is versus the reality of how it is and how it's being represented.

Can't be out here preaching all this black excellence when the reality of the political climate, economics, and black dollar is something different.

Can't default to the entertainment angle when two of the biggest entertainers/legends from the city out here singing a different tune in front of their biggest oppressors.

Horrible look.

It's really not the same tho. I've been vocal against EVERYONE on that bs regardless of where they are from including jigga man. Check the post

I've lived in Atlanta. Got little brothers and a mother who's been there for 15 years. So I think I'm qualified to speak on what's going on out there

That Black Hollywood and Black Mecca narrative is literally nothing but a.. narrative. Something coined and created by white supremacists from Georgia that impressionable negroes regurgitate without tangibles

Killer Mike wants to tell us "50 black women own restaurants" so we can stop looting and destroying OUR neighborhoods like the majority of black people in the city actually live downtown.

Ti wants to compare and contrast other black cities like Atlanta is somehow better when in all actuality the disparity is worst than anywhere else

C74851E5-9ADA-4ACA-94EC-FF1C8939ED2B.jpeg

22BB78E8-FC0F-45B1-8B3C-47EA916F7446.jpeg

Them _s are bought. Literally the first people the police commissioner called up to speak at a press conference in hopes to calm the rowdy ****** LOOTING downtown

Which helped in diluting the message of these protest and focused all the attention on the looting aspect.

_s really be one way in they raps and another way in the streets

I'll continue to call NYC the Mecca of basketball because the city lives and breaths it.

Don't see how that has ANYTHING to do with these real life issues tho

That's my problem with it. They talk abut it like everyone is living nice. How out of touch can you be? Do you still go to your old neighborhoods? It's, don't burn down OUR stuff. We don't care if you own or have anything. Don't touch OUR stuff. They're supposed to have pride in what some other black person has when they're in pain, hungry and disenfranchised. Would TI have cared about some business owner, black or not in downtown when he was young? He surely didn't care about black families when he was hustling, so we know the answer. TI don't sell drugs to black people, only other races. Yeah, I'm sure that would have went over well on young Clifford.

Crazy for KIller Mike and TI to do that.

Taking a look at those numbers hurt man. Black businesses ain't worth more than the cars a lot of us are driving but the most telling is the discrepancy between black and latino.

Ain't no black and brown coalition AT ALL in Atlanta. We spend ALL our bread elsewhere but NOBODY spending a dime with us :smh:

We keeping them Chinese restaurants, hair salons, and liquor stores boomin tho.

Theirs a small medical supply store and pharmacy I frequent for my asthma medicine and they're selling them for 20 dollars. Theyre washable but ****
Damn. I bought a pack of 10 in Tokyo just cuz last fall for a dollar. Crazy times. Midas whale just rock a bandana

-Black man who's has a reputable construction company for 10+ years who employs 15 and pays his taxes with a portfolio of great work.

-10 Mexican men who post up at Walmart every day ready to work.

White dude wants to add space to his garage to fit a second car and also wants to lay some concrete in his backyard (money is a non issue)

Who he going with?

Taking a look at those numbers hurt man. Black businesses ain't worth more than the cars a lot of us are driving but the most telling is the discrepancy between black and latino.

Ain't no black and brown coalition AT ALL in Atlanta. We spend ALL our bread elsewhere but NOBODY spending a dime with us :smh:

We keeping them Chinese restaurants, hair salons, and liquor stores boomin tho.

I hate how black men and women go to Dominican barbers, but still want to complain about them. Stop supporting them or shut up.

Same with going to asians for hair and nails.

You're not willing to spend little more to support a black person?

I hate how black men and women go to Dominican barbers, but still want to complain about them. Stop supporting them or shut up.

Is that a NY thing? Ns out here ain’t going to Mexican barbers like that. Soul food and barbers gotta be black for me to patronize

They did (are doing) a number on our people.

Never realized the price of some of these mask

They're actually dropped some as more are out on the market. Everyone is selling mask. You just have to look, some of these stores will try to fleece you.

Some good ones

The issue is how you see it is versus the reality of how it is and how it's being represented.

Can't be out here preaching all this black excellence when the reality of the political climate, economics, and black dollar is something different.

Can't default to the entertainment angle when two of the biggest entertainers/legends from the city out here singing a different tune in front of their biggest oppressors.

Horrible look.

How it’s being represented? When people talk about ATL being a “Black Hollywood”....what are they referring to? The glitz and glamor. The nightlife. The superficial stuff etc. The “scene”. You lived there. You know that’s not made up :lol:. Stop acting like it’s represented differently.

When people refer to Atlanta has a Black “Mecca” or as TI foolishly said....”Wakanda”....they’re referring to the long history of positive Black success, culture in Atlanta.....a Deep South majority Black city that was a cultural hub, and has seen some success...in the micro. Despite all the decks stacked against it. So this....is also true. But I don’t think they ever acted as if Atlanta doesn’t have poverty or anything like that. You’re making it seem that way. For what reason...idk

Killer Mike and TI are black business owners. They’re also wealthy and out of touch to a degree. Those guys were tone deaf when Kiesha brought them out there that night. This isn’t the first time killer mike has been wrong :lol:. He has blind spots man. I’ve criticized him plenty for his support of the NRA, and how he can contradict himself on measures of black progress at time. Killer Mike also has been rightly an advocate of keeping black businesses black businesses. And building it. And keeping the black dollar inside the black community. So I understand where he comes from. He practices it. I understand where he was coming from, about keeping black infrastructure alive in these protests. But the reality is....property is going to be a casualty of war in a fight against white supremacy, and life matters more. Plus, people are starving. That’s where they missed the point largely.

Seems like you jumped on an opportunity to criticize Atlanta rappers....casting them as “disgusting” and “frauds”. I wouldn’t go that far.

How it’s being represented? When people talk about ATL being a “Black Hollywood”....what are they referring to? The glitz and glamor. The nightlife. The superficial stuff etc. The “scene”. You lived there. You know that’s not made up :lol:. Stop acting like it’s represented differently.

When people refer to Atlanta has a Black “Mecca” or as TI foolishly said....”Wakanda”....they’re referring to the long history of positive Black success, culture in Atlanta.....a Deep South majority Black city that was a cultural hub, and has seen some success...in the micro. Despite all the decks stacked against it. So this....is also true. But I don’t think they ever acted as if Atlanta doesn’t have poverty or anything like that. You’re making it seem that way. For what reason...idk

Killer Mike and TI are black business owners. They’re also wealthy and out of touch to a degree. Those guys were tone deaf when Kiesha brought them out there that night. This isn’t the first time killer mike has been wrong :lol:. He has blind spots man. I’ve criticized him plenty for his support of the NRA, and how he can contradict himself on measures of black progress at time. Killer Mike also has been rightly an advocate of keeping black businesses black businesses. And building it. And keeping the black dollar inside the black community. So I understand where he comes from. He practices it. I understand where he was coming from, about keeping black infrastructure alive in these protests. But the reality is....property is going to be a casualty of war in a fight against white supremacy, and life matters more. Plus, people are starving. That’s where they missed the point largely.

Seems like you jumped on an opportunity to criticize Atlanta rappers....casting them as “disgusting” and “frauds”. I wouldn’t go that far.

I'm talking about how they represented themselves and the black population at the press conference.

Your making excuses and trying to create some sort of rationale when I've clearly stated what my issues were

Im kinda transparent on this topic bro

We gotta hold our people to the same standard

Regardless if we like their music or where they from.

TI said on his live that he was literally at home and was called to come to the press conference at the last minute. He said he didn't have time to prepare a real statement and acknowledged he wish he had another crack at it.

Yea ATL aint perfect and its def changing for the worst due to gentrification and cost of living issues...But it's absolutely still one of the better places for brovas to live better and get money currently, aint no lie about that...And compared to alotta places that ppl move from to go there, the overall environment and interactions with the police is also way more chill, I'm speaking from experience and know many that won't ever move back to their OG cities...The problem is we got comfortable and let ATL be the only place that was kinda different from where alotta of us from, shoulda had multiple cities poppin by now and still gotta work on that

And the actual city of ATL is small (like 400k), its the big *** metro with alotta folks getting money and buying property for the low that made it what it was and gave the rep of black excellence...Until the recent gentrification you was either in the trenches or a rich part like Buckhead if you lived in the city limits, no in between

Last edited:
Is that a NY thing? Ns out here ain’t going to Mexican barbers like that. Soul food and barbers gotta be black for me to patronize
The scene is mixed. I think that is in parts of uptown cause they have black barbers and hair salons that are black throughout the city.

TI said on his live that he was literally at home and was called to come to the press conference at the last minute. He said he didn't have time to prepare a real statement and acknowledged he wish he had another crack at it.

Another crack to say no, I'm busy

Back
Top Bottom