Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

*****s was calling him a “backpack rapper” (in Louis Vuitton ironically enough) and associating him being “conscious” and a “lyricist” because of his image, and who he hung out with :lol:. See below….

Yup.

Even at his best, he was sub par “lyrically”. He Just made good music on good production with a good team from 03-08.

Hilarious to see Ye admit, what was always known (and obvious).

“it was just easier for me to pose as a backpack rapper”

EFN was upset :lol:

IMG_20211112_131148.jpg

Always treated "backpack" as more of an style and sound. Don't really see how how listening to the people he named dropped and liking Mase or wearing LV would negate that.

People seem to think backpack = conscious. That's not the case at all. Does make me curious about if those groups that he named feel the same though about him (Tribe, Slum, Dilated etc.) cause he certainly created some excellent music with them

To me backpack was exactly what Ye was. Somebody street adjacent, not gangsta, somebody that would spend their time on some nerd **** from any category (specifically in the 2000s), dig in the crates, making beats, etc. Then basically rap about some other ****.

I listened to backpack and underground rap and never thought Kanye was in that lane.
Man when he initially came out? That was his lane.

Songs with Mos, Q-Tip, Talib, Lupe on the 2nd album single

All of those Freshmen Adjustment mixtapes?

Last edited:
Kanye was mainstream as hell going platinum on major tours and signed to Rocafella/Def Jam

The only people who thought he was backpack were people not in to underground rap. Dude didn't fool anybody.

There aren't just two lanes, gangsta and backpack or pop and underground.

Couldnt get thru that Ye rambling this time but what does he consider himself if not backpack? Especially 03-07?

Back
Top Bottom