Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

In that case it ain't no Compton Pirus that's big enough to be on the grammys. Kendrick ain't never officially claimed a set.
Did he ever really need too?
Everyone knows the deal lol
1675745573392.jpeg

They LA Bloods not Compton Pirus
It’s a difference
IYKYK
Mack is from Queen St fyi not Swans

Yeah I know about Mack - my wording is off - meant his own neighborhood in Inglewoods.

But I understand now. You’re speaking of Compton.

A very special time. You had to be there. Still remember 8th grade, sneaking into the computer lab to watch the in the club video on MTV.com or something :lol:. This was like early 04.

Legendary. 20 years. Wow. Old *** ******!

We will never have a rap artist come through how 50 did ever again. That **** was unreal

NEVER before and NEVER again. The 50 Cent hype was once in a lifetime.

50 was the pure definition of the "stars aligning".

Right place:

Backed by one of the biggest hip-hop producers (if not THE BIGGEST) at the time, Dr. Dre.
Backed by the biggest rapper at the time, Eminem. - Love him or hate him.
Street cred - Getting busted for selling drugs and then getting shot nine times......while still living to tell about it. You couldn't make that **** up, even if you tried to.

Right time:

50 bridged the gap - Mainstream hip-hop was shifting from the New York street sound of the 90s to the club-oriented sound that dominated much of the 2000s.

2003 was the right time - If Get Rich or Die Tryin’ dropped in 2002, it doesn’t get nearly the same amount of attention and if GRODT dropped in 2004, it would’ve been a year too late and nobody would've cared about it.

🧢, as the kids say. Because Jay Z & 50 Cent were full grown men in their 30s, still hanging around “the lessers” as this account put it. And also, promoting that in their music. Shoot, you can catch 50 in wild situations at Tycoon weekend :lol:. All types of low **** going on there.

But common sense goes, the more bread you make…the less you need to be around f-erry.

Right place:

Backed by one of the biggest hip-hop producers (if not THE BIGGEST) at the time, Dr. Dre.
Street cred - Getting busted for selling drugs and then getting shot nine times......while still living to tell about it. You couldn't make that **** up, even if you tried to.

Right time:

50 bridged the gap - Mainstream hip-hop was shifting from the New York street sound of the 90s to the club-oriented sound that dominated much of the 2000s.

2003 was the right time - If Get Rich or Die Tryin’ dropped in 2002, it doesn’t get nearly the same amount of attention and if GRODT dropped in 2004, it would’ve been a year too late and nobody would've cared about it.

Snoop was bigger than 50

Right place:

Right time:

big facts. and then one of the first things he did as he emerged as a new star was crush Ja Rule's popularity...Like I dont think we have ever seen that before or since then...That was some wild **** to see unfold in 8th grade. Ja was that N'...and ppl flipped asap. All of my peers messed with Ja heavy. He was a superstar rapper and 50 wiped that N' away...You legit was gettin clowned on if you was caught listening to Ja Rule round my way after 50 dropped. At the bus stop and its 6 N's in huge G-Unit coats fryin you for having "Clap Back" on yo CD-RW...50 was just a different beast. White America loved him, the hood loved him....He had it all.

and in the midst of all that drama Ja dropped 'Mesmerize" song/video....he didnt help himself with that ****.

Snoop was bigger than 50

I cant speak on Snoop, I was like 5 when Doggystyle Dropped. but I always heard his entry to the game was massive thanks to The Chronic features as well as the murder case.

I do have one question I been meaning to ask, like I said I was young during that time period, but as an artist how big was Ice Cube at that time? Like in terms of popularity what present day artist would you say he was on par with? As a kid he never really resonated with me and it seemed like he was pivoting into the films more so than the music, but as I got older I got to see his impact before the Hollywood stuff, but I never got to gauge how big of a rapper he was. Im 10 years old in 1998 my perception of him is greatly skewed.

I cant speak on Snoop, I was like 5 when Doggystyle Dropped. but I always heard his entry to the game was massive thanks to The Chronic features as well as the murder case.

I do have one question I been meaning to ask, like I said I was young during that time period, but as an artist how big was Ice Cube at that time? Like in terms of popularity what present day artist would you say he was on par with? As a kid he never really resonated with me and it seemed like he was pivoting into the films more so than the music, but as I got older I got to see his impact before the Hollywood stuff, but I never got to gauge how big of a rapper he was. Im 10 years old in 1998 my perception of him is greatly skewed.

Ice Cube was top 5 before his fall off.

He had fans on both coast like Snoop. I do think Snoop sort of cut into his fame and ushered in a new era of rap on the west coast, sort of like what happen to Rakim with early 90's New York rappers.

I think LL and Ice Cube are the two biggest artist who the younger generation will never understand how big they were. Instead they look at them like Ice T and Will, when they were far better and more respected rappers.

Ice Cube was top 5 before his fall off.

He had fans on both coast like Snoop. I do think Snoop sort of cut into his fame and ushered in a new era of rap on the west coast, sort of like what happen to Rakim with early 90's New York rappers.

I think LL and Ice Cube are the two biggest artist who the younger generation will never understand how big they were. Instead they look at them like Ice T and Will, when they were far better and more respected rappers.

preciate that bruh. What year/album would you say the beginning of his fall off musically?

Back
Top Bottom