Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Randomly was watching the video with Jack Harlow, and Drake was talking again about whipping somebody. And him and Jack Harlow made the whipping motion, with Harlow at the Kentucky derby of all places….dressed like Colonel Sanders or Leo’s character from Django :lol: :smh:

IMG_6820.gif

Harlow doing that a little too well. You know…Jack Harlow do got that #1 song about “whipping people” and “tying them down”……makes you wonder
1714509212236.png

My objective criteria for a classic;

A classic album is some combination of critical and commercial success+ influence on culture.

Ultimately if you are telling the story of the genre do you need to write about this album?

If you are judging things correctly there should be albums that you personally don't care for that are classics;

So imo So Far Gone and Take Care are classics,
Huge commercial and critical success, very influential on the form. I don't think it's particularly close call tbh.

NWTS is closer call.

Post Views from the 6 Drake goes into a more cynically commercial direction.

But I think the combo of commercial and critical success and influence makes SFG and Take Care classics.

Crazy that it’s coming from me, but I don’t think WATTBA is a classic. :lol:

Agreed. Some bangers and great songs tho. Some don’t age well. Big rings was trash then, trash now. Jump man aged terribly :lol:

Plastic Bag is timeless tho

But Ppl forget, but Future & Drake were “beefin” before this time because Future felt played about Drake not showing up for Tony Montana. Then Drake called Future to be the only future on DS2, a week before it came out, and they started that whole relationship…Launched WATTBA on Apple Music exclusively which started the streaming era, and basically has been the relationship of the two biggest hit makers collabing for the past 9 years.

Agreed. Some bangers and great songs tho. Some don’t age well. Big rings was trash then, trash now. Jump man aged terribly :lol:

Plastic Bag is timeless tho

But Ppl forget, but Future & Drake were “beefin” before this time because Future felt played about Drake not showing up for Tony Montana. Then Drake called Future to be the only future on DS2, a week before it came out, and they started that whole relationship…Launched WATTBA on Apple Music exclusively which started the streaming era, and basically has been the relationship of the two biggest hit makers collabing for the past 9 years.
This is facts. I remember this vividly because ive been a big fans of both from the jump. Just from studying Drake all these years I really do feel like he went ahead and settled that first beef because Future had the streets on lock 2014-2015. I was in JUCO at the time and you wasn't cool if you wasn't listening to that crazy mixtape run he was on. So him jumping back on the bandwagon just made sense. Plus if im being honest, they have great chemistry together.

What about Take Care fits this category?

What tracks from Take Care would fit this category?

Absolutely. It takes the sonic innovations on So Far Gone, the mix of singing and rapping and the southern influences
and distills them into what became basically the template big budget hiphop popular music for a good like 5 years.

it proves the commercial viability of his sound, launches a legion of imitations, some of which Drake would write for people,

being objective, i think it would be weird if you were writing about hip hops trajectory as and art from like 2009 to like 2013
and ignored the two super popular critically and commercially successful albums that spawned so many imitations from that time period.

Back
Top Bottom