Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

In the history of the genre, this is patently false.

to clarify im talking about today.

if you are a rapper coming out today and you read to white people as being from the underclass,
imo you will get more leeway when it comes to the political implications of your music.

because subconsciously they exotify the art.

Im not even trying to come off as a drake rider but to say he doesnt have a classic is just a sevre lack of awareness. Are yall basing this off of Anthony Fantano or music reviews or something?

Im not even trying to come off as a drake rider but to say he doesnt have a classic is just a sevre lack of awareness. Are yall basing this off of Anthony Fantano or music reviews or something?

What makes an album a classic to you? And please explain how any of Drakes album meet that criteria?

Ain't that the corny jewish vulture cat?

He's the type that would love Drake

Invasion of Privacy is more of a classic than anything Drake has put out

3osf5rzqlr681.jpg

if you are a rapper coming out today and you read to white people as being from the underclass,
imo you will get more leeway when it comes to the political implications of your music.

What is an actual example that you could point to? Because I can’t think of one recent artist that fits that narrative.

Typically, the rapper from the “underclass” isn’t touching on political issues at all outside of shouting out Obama or something lol.

The whole Drake ain’t black enough thing is because it’s clear he has no actual identity. :lol: Dude hops from one subsection of Black culture to another every 2 years from Houston to the Caribbean to Afrobeats. It’s so clear he wants acceptance from Black people, somewhere.

J. Cole is biracial and grew up relatively middle-class, nobody questions his Blackness and he doesn’t try to run around to fit in with whoever the “cool” Black person is at the time to feel apart of the culture.
the same thing applies to Jcole I think he gets way more criticism about misogyny then a standard rapper would.
it's because he codes as middle class.

young thug a way more explicitly misogynist rapper has approximately 0 think pieces on that subject

1714503432198.png

1714503493027.png

Way too much R&B (imo that aged like milk) on all Drake's projects to have a "rap" classic. Main reason dudes was hyped for the 🦂 double disk

I could see Take Care being a "classic" cause dude was having a moment but between Marvin's Room and fam rapping about goin thru women phone I realized there's a discourse

What is an actual example that you could point to? Because I can’t think of one recent artist that fits that narrative.

Typically, the rapper from the “underclass” isn’t touching on political issues at all outside of shouting out Obama or something lol.

Jcole has this same issue, way more has been written about his alleged misogyny then Young Thug for example.

by any objective measure Jcole is less misogynistic than the average rapper.
but he is treated more seriously...because imo he codes as middle class.

What tracks from TC have you heard still get played?
Now you damn well know Crew love is played every week at end of the night, or least here in Chicago, I also know how big of a weeknd fan you are and I know you outside, not sure if it gets played in the A tho

And almost every spot that play hip-hop (Brunch, Club, restaurant) which goes into their Drake bag and just run through his hits

Cats call Drake a pop star but then say, what songs being played in the club now, lol like what? Getting real goofy in here

J. Cole is biracial and grew up relatively middle-class, nobody questions his Blackness and he doesn’t try to run around to fit in with whoever the “cool” Black person is at the time to feel apart of the culture.
Black Canadian wasn’t cool or known about like that when he 1st popped on the scene so yo had to be from everywhere else being the actor he is…Still always cracks me up when he tries to talk like them Toronto boys now but wanted no parts of it a decade ago :lol: :smh:

IMO, Too Far Gone is a classic(chopped & screwed, of course), but maybe thats not rappy enough for folks.

What's "coming out today?" Kendricks been mainstream for like 15 years.

Now you damn well know Crew love is played every week at end of the night, or least here in Chicago, I also know how big of a weeknd fan you are and I know you outside, not sure if it gets played in the A tho

Bro had a moment with Take Care I don't see how people can say that isn't the closest he got to a classic album. No it's not a "rap" album but in my opinion Drake is at his best when he's in that melodic pocket and blurring the lines between R&B and rap.

nah

identity dissection is why I liked that. same reason I liked Exodus.

them jokey bars cool but going at a mans identity and who he is, not even just who he is but his actual manhood, is some extra ****.
Thats fine, but more people will making the sticking point of revealing he had a child as what made the track.

Black Canadian wasn’t cool or known about like that when he 1st popped on the scene so yo had to be from everywhere else being the actor he is…Still always cracks me up when he tries to talk like them Toronto boys now but wanted no parts of it a decade ago :lol: :smh:

This criticism is funny to me. He obviously did this to appeal to americans.
and now he's criticized for shedding when he made it acceptable to americans.

anyone with brain understood that in 2009 americans were not accepting of rap music from other countries.
if you want to make it in american you better sound like and american.

More Life comes around he sheds it and goes with the more Toronto accent brings in the british rap artists.
saw tons of criticism at the time about how "i hate listening to british people rap"

now it's much more acceptable to be from UK or have different accents in rap music,
and the same american fans are criticizing him for dropping it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom