Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

We are now at the point we are saving Future carried Drake :smh:

This feeling like when Kobe fans saying he carried Shaq in the Finals

I don't know about carried but this is the problem with Drake fans. When he collabs with somebody his fans give all this credit for the record and whatever shine the other person gets.

It's a fact that WATTBA is Future's sound that he introduced. Metro and Southside are his producers. He literally gave Drake the stamp to run with that sound.

What do you mean "now". People been sayin that. Drake been hoppin on Future's wave.
And that’s why tend to disagree. They’ve had numerous songs outside so I can’t say he was riding Future’s wave. I’ll look at them as two friends who collaborated a lot and fell out over a woman.

I said it at the time it was forced. It's a industry tape. First time I heard it most of the joints sounded like DS2 leftovers that he just gave to Drake to throw a verse on.

Yep. 1000% an industry tape. It’s an Apple thing. The fact that it was the first Apple Music streaming exclusive, and they debuted it with the OVO sound radio on Apple Music makes it clear.

It’s a little ironic to me that you have such distaste for white liberal takes on rap when this one reeks of a Pitchfork review. :lol:

Well yah music criticism sounds like music criticism. . I don't have a problem music critisim,

I have a problem with bad music critism.

So Far Gone was a mixtape, which I think is an incredibly important distinction for the art form and people have regularly credited Drake for a classic mixtape.

It's an album, SFG is only a mixtape because they called it that at the time. But SFG doesn't really have much in common with like we got it for cheap or whatever.

This is an album they called a mixtape for marketing purposes.

When most hip hop heads talk rap classics (because those are the people who I’d ultimately consider the arbiters), commercial viability is of little importance. Drake is the biggest commercial artist of this time, and rap as a genre has reached higher commercial heights than it ever has. I feel like reflecting on an album as classic, what artists imitated his sound following that for commercial success is of little importance.
Unless I'm reading wrong you haven't defined that makes something a classic.

This mostly just sounds like an appeal to an authority, "true hip hop heads determine what is a classic" If there is no objective criteria then it's just circular appeals to authority. If you have a problem with my criteria you should clearly state your own.

now my criteria; I use that because from observation a "classic" generally is used to refer to something that is some mix of good, important, and has enduring relevance.

something that is really good, but nobody sees or hears it and it doesn't influence any people, that's just a really good album.
we seem to reserve classic for things that are good but also relevant to people and stay relevant for a long period of time.

Commercial success is a good objective indicator of how many people are listening, critical success is an semi objective indicator of how good something is. and the influence is a good way to track how long a work maintains relevance.

now you don't have to have all three. you need some amount of each. MF Doom for example wasn't that commercially successful, but the quality, and influence are extremely high.

but I don't think an album that sold 3 copies can't be a classic no matter how good it is because not enough people have listened to it for it to be relevant to the broader culture for a long enough period of time.
imo this is the best most objective way to define it.

Drake’s sound is typically a mashup of different sounds that are popular at the time.

I was alive when this all happened, I remember when SFG came out, the singing and rapping the 40 production, to the Caribbean inspired stuff.or UK inspired stuff, ior dance music inspired stuff,

the idea that
"oh this was all just what was popular at the time" and was all destined to work, is just post hoc analysis. prime Drake made that stuff popular to mass audiences.

Which tracks from Take Care can’t you tell that era of time without?

we are talking about albums, Drake obviously has classic songs.

I couldn't imagine waking up to that face

200w.gif

Nightmares every morning
It's like she got all her parents worst features smashed into one human. Like me I got my dad's ears and the light freckles from my mom....she got allll the bad features from them at the same damn time

It’s kinda wild we put the pedo label on a rapper without any proof. Those are serious allegations. I dont even joke about those. It’s weird how bad ppl want him to be a pedo.
That’s fair, he admittedly likes younger girls though we can’t deny that, and his behaviour with Millie Bobby Brown, very strange.

Back
Top Bottom